“Very mixed review”

Small Luxury Palace Residence
Ranked #360 of 646 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 29 October 2008

We spent two lovely days here and two nightmarish days here. It was like Jekyll and Hyde. The location is ideal, the staff generally helpful, at least when all is going well. Remember that this is a bed and breakfast so it is very important who your neighbors are as there is no one there in the middle of the night to do anything to help you if the hotel staff has booked you with 12 drunken Dutchmen who came to Prague to party, get drunk and carry on until all hours of the night, all weekend. What else would a party of 12 young men have traveled to Prague to do. To make things worse we had to share a bathroom with them. The management seemed to be very concerned and when I wrote a bad review on their customer satisfaction form they offered to give us back our money for those two nights. After many emails and nice sentiments the refund never materialized in our bank account. They said they tried--twice--but how hard can it be to wire money from a bank account in Prague to one in Rome? We have received no refund and they just let it drop. I guess they thought I was no longer annoyed enough to write a bad review. So there is my review--probably lovely most of the time but buyer beware.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brenda1118
CastleSteps, Manager at Small Luxury Palace Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2008

The unlikeliness of guests being disturbed all night by rowdy neighbours is confirmed by the fact that we are able to remember this one-off incident some months on. The Castle Steps maintains a strict policy on not allowing large same sex groups to stay with us.

The problem arose on this occasion due to the fact that the group of men booked under different names and on different dates. We therefore could not foresee any problems.

The group were consequently given a warning and the couple were given the option of moving rooms, which was not taken. We received their feedback after they were disturbed and we came to an agreement to refund them for two of their nights. We wired the amount but we were told that it was difficult for their bank in Italy to find the transaction and that it was easier to simply re-wire the refund - which we did. We were not contacted again and we assumed that the bank transfer had been successful.

Reviewed 19 October 2008

Fantastic location. Excellent stay in a huge, well furnished room. Bathroom shared with 2 other rooms, but beautiful and big with a washer and dryer to use. Great breakfast in another building just up the street. Really good advice/ taxi bookings/ tour bookings which could be organised at breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2008

I would definitely stay at the Castle Steps again. I stayed in the Main Embassy Room which was spacious and clean. I think it looked better than the pictures on their webpage! I arrived at night and was met by a member of staff after I called from the airport. The first thing I was given was a map which is so important. She explained where I could get breakfast, yes it is a little bit of a walk, but it is a pleasant one. She also explained what I needed to do when I checked out, and where the bathroom was and answered questions I had about the area. I was so impressed by how well organised it was. Breakfast was great, especially the bread and staff were helpful here too. There was a little bit of noise at night on the street, but this is not the hotel's fault. I was able to leave my bag at the hotel office until my flight left. If only all hotels were like this!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 September 2008

This is a wonderful set of rooms in several buildings in the Castle area of Prague. Their website will show you every room, so it's great that you can see exactly what you'll get. I believe I had the Marigold Room (it's been a year, sorry it took so long to write), which was very spacious, with floor to ceiling windows opening to a small patio, nice antique furniture, a modern kitchen. I shared a bath with one other room, just outside the door. At a very reasonable price for Prague. I'd say the only drawback is that you have to walk a couple blocks to another one of their buildings for the breakfast. I would definitely book there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We stayed in the Middle Embassy Room which was very large with a very comfortable bed (two twin beds made into a king). For the price, this room could not be beat. We paid $113 USD per night (mailed in check beforehand). The bathroom, shared with another room, was rather grim, but there was a washing machine with detergent provided that we put to good use. Great location for the sights. on a relatively quiet street at night, The breakfast was about a 10 minute walk uphill away, but it was worth the hike (on the way up to the castle). Good selection of breads, cheese, and cereals and some fruit plus there were 4 high-speed internet Dell computer to use for free. I would recommend the Castle steps for those who do not require absolute cleanliness.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple