“Great food, service with a smile”
Review of Hotel u Schnellu

Hotel u Schnellu
Ranked #322 of 647 Hotels in Prague
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We visited the restaurant this January. I recommend it to everyone, who is visiting the castle, it is only a shourt stroll down the road. The food is not expensive and great. The service was suprisingly really good. The girl (little bit darker skin) who served us was really friendly, attentive and always smiled. I would like to thank her for this. We were a group of 3 girls, sitting at the very back of the restaurant. The restaurant is really old style, like the whole Prague, and has this unique experience.
I would recommend it to everyone and ask for a table at the back.

I will be back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank lindabene
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

We were told this restaurant offerred good czech cuisine, so we decided to give it a try on the 27th of December. Our waitress never smiled and was not at all polite. I ordered the gulash and received two slices of dumpling with a lot of ordinary flavoured gravy and a grand total of 5 peices of cubed meat (no vegetables or anything else). The meat was riddled with lumps of fat and was difficult to eat. My husband had the duck which was not tasty - it tasted old. At the end of the meal which came to 983 net (1180 with tax) we were given the bill plus a calculator with the amount we had to pay which was plus 20% for service?
I wasn't impressed and would not recommend at all.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lyss_seb
Reviewed 13 November 2011

So easy to walk to everything! (Plus, it's near many trams and the subway.) The restaurant on the main floor is really yummy, and the 20% discount for hotel guests is great. They have free wifi throughout the hotel (though it can be a bit slow; still, very handy). Check-in was a little strange/slow because the staff double as servers for the restaurant, but everything else was perfect! Extremely reasonable price for the location/quality. The beds were harder than I'm used to, but maybe that was a good thing--I slept very well and it was totally quiet at night. (I did not find the trams outside to be a problem.)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LondonJM
Reviewed 5 October 2011

The location of this place is great, in the castle district and only several blocks from the Charles Bridge and a short walk to Old Town. After traveling all day and checking into the hotel we were happy to find that the restaurant had delicious czech food and helpful staff. The room was clean and also very spacious. I would recommend this place to sleep or eat.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We only paid for a double room, but somehow ended up in a large room on the top floor with three beds and a great view of St. Nicholas cathedral and the charming buildings round about. The room was clean and pleasant, no AC but lots and lots of windows for fresh air.

We drove in and found out that driving in Prague right now is not at all a good idea. Because of construction, there is some really crazy rerouting of traffic going on that brings ALL traffic trying to go through Old Town on the East side of the river over to the West side, and right in front of the hotel before going back to the other side of the river. After sitting in traffic for a lifetime to actually get there, we were just ready to veg at the hotel, but there was no parking (which was expected- we had been planning to drop off our luggage, park across the river, and walk back...or something).

Instead, the incredibly kind manager (? or some sort of employee? I'm not totally sure what his function was, but he was fabulous) hopped in his car (after checking us in), led us to the nearest garage (under the Rudolfinum), somehow fit our massive luggage into his car, and drove us back to the hotel, then carried our (still massive) suitcases up several flights of stairs to our room (no elevator). And then he refused a tip. What?!

The next morning, he repeated the entire thing in reverse (alas, our itinerary only allowed us one night in Prague), and again refused to accept any tips.

Oh, and did I mention the location? It could not be better- about halfway between the castle and the bridge, all the old-towny type sites are within an easy (not to mention unbelievably beautiful- there's something wonderful around every corner!) walk.

I would have given a very positive review even without the truly wonderful and considerate service we received, but that was what boosted it into a really memorable stay.

I will definitely be back to Prague someday soon, and when I return, I definitely plan on staying at the Hotel u Schnellu.

(we didn't have dinner in the restaurant, but the breakfast was great!)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends