“Awesome Place!”

Ranked #102 of 649 Hotels in Prague
Bengaluru, India
“Awesome Place!”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at Miss Sophies for two nights during my trip to Europe - had found it online on Hostels.com, and was initially a little apprehensive, coz it was the first time I was actually booking a place without having checked it out. But Miss Sophies made sure that every other hostel I stayed in had to really be something exceptional to meet the expectations set by this place!

The directions were very precise, and led me to a small street off the main street. The hostel is spread across two buildings on either side of the street. The interior decor and design were very thoughtfully done, and I felt pretty at home even as I entered the place. No issues with bookings and all - the reception was manned by a girl about my age, who proved to be very helpful with everything - maps, directions, internet, and other basic details.

I was occupying a male only dorm which had four beds, with a drawer under the bed to store your stuff, a light, a bed stand, a plug point. The bed was nice and soft, with clean sheets and a good blanket (it was quite cold) - all that was required for a very good night's sleep. There were two other guys in the dorm, one Australian, and French, and we all got along quite well, the little time that we got to spend together (most times we all used to come back only late at night, and that too, only to sleep).

The bathrooms (there were two common bathrooms between three dorms, I think) were large, clean and awesome. There was a small kitchen with a mini fridge, stove and cupboards, all to be used commonly. Obviously, most of us preferred to eat out, though. There were key cards which could open all doors within the wing and specific to your dorm. I hadn't gotten along a lock for the drawer under the bed, but that was provided for by the people at the reception when I mentioned it. Overall, I felt very safe and secure leaving my stuff in the room while going out to roam around.

All required amenities for a tourist are very close by - the metro, trams, McD, KFC, coffee shops, currency exchange (I was directed to a place which didn't charge too much in terms of commission by the guy at the reception). There is a pretty good breakfast available as well, if you book beforehand, and it's not expensive. Most times, I'm guessing there's not too many people there, so even if you don't book beforehand, you can get breakfast :)

There's internet available in the reception - three computers, so that wasn't much of an issue. The WiFi was a little feeble within the room, but then that didn't matter too much for me - I wasn't looking on staying too connected, and in any case, the McD's close by had a free WiFi hotspot.

I needed a printout of my train ticket to Vienna (my next stop), and I got that done at the reception - in fact, I had left it a little too late, and without the help offered to me by the people at the reception, I'm pretty sure I would have missed my train.

Overall, I loved the place. The best part was that it wasn't expensive at all - at just about 25 euros for two nights in such a comfortable place, the value for money was really, really brilliant. I was a little apprehensive as to how things would turn out, Prague being my first stop on a trip to Europe, whether the place I'd booked would be good, whether there would be any issues, and all, but Miss Sophies ensured that I was made very much at home.

I know where I'll be staying if I ever go back to Prague.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Nikhil C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
Reviewed 25 April 2012

2 friends and I went to Prague just before Easter for 5 nights. We stayed in one of Miss Sophie's apartments. It was perfect for us. The apartment was small, but it had everything we needed: beds, kitchen facilities, a safe, a lovely (private) bathroom, a safe and it was cleaned every day while we were out. While we had the privacy and freedom of our own apartment, we also could get our breakfast in the hotel, and it was beautiful every day. I recommend the pancakes :)

Now, it isn't a luxury hotel by any stretch. Most of our beds were like narrow, long seats/sofas. Again, perfect for a group of young friends on a holiday...not so much for a romantic trip or if you are a fussy sleeper.

The hotel is quite close to I.P Pavlova metro and a good tram stop, which will bring you to the best spots in Prague (if you're not walking). The staff at Miss Sophies were lovely and accommodating and had fantastic English.

I was very happy with this hotel and I would recommend it for anyone on a budget who still likes some creature comforts.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed October 2009. Bit of a hike into the old town and sullen staff but spotless rooms and stunning showers.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jimmyee84
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I can only describe this place with one word: AWESOME. I am such a sucker for good design, and well I was reeled in as soon as we walked into our apartment! For one, the value for money is outstanding. Beyond that, the gorgeous decor and the effort that the owner and staff took/take to make these apartments the way they are is clear. I mean, there are funky and artistic paintings on the bedroom and kitchen walls. Where else do you ever see that?! And each painting is unique. Our friend's apt was totally different. And the cool thing is that each artistic rendition takes the local culture into account.. monuments.. beer.. ancient history of Prague. So cool. Anyways..moving past the design..!

The kitchens are well equipped and they've got everything you need to make yourself a nice breakfast, which is just what we did. The bathrooms are so clean, so modern. Just lovely.

Location is great. It is not exactly central, but it's away from the hustle and is well-linked. Tram stop a few minutes away, and a ten minute walk to the Old Town. The staff were also very helpful, taking out the maps of Prague and making big circles around everything we should see and how to get there.

All in all, thoroughly impressed and would 100% stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed at Miss Sophies in a private double last month. I had problems at the start with their online booking so emailed them directly and they were very helpful and quick to respond and we got the booking sorted out. (problem was with the browser I was using). The directions to the hotel were excellent and I managed to find them quite easily, even though I had never been to Prague before. Too many times hotel directions are vague and and not enough effort is put into helping the poor traveller get to the hotel as easily as possible. Not everyone arrives in a taxi.
The receptionist was really helpful and friendly and gave me loads of information about Prague. The room was a great surprise. It was roomy, modern, clean etc. There was a safe and a fridge which I don't usually expect to see in a lower cost establishment. I was on the top floor and there was an elevator which was another nice surprise.

I had breakfast included in my room rate and it really is amazing, cold buffet and also hot food cooked to order. It's a tiny room and you need to book a time slot the day before, I think you can book up to 11am which is great for sleeping in.

It's not right in the centre, but it's close to a metro stop and also a tram stop. I walked everywhere instead and it's only around 15 minutes to get to the old town, plus it's a good way to walk off the big breakfasts!. It's a nice location to escape the crowds of tourists as well.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo