“Praha!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #112 of 667 Hotels in Prague
Franklin
“Praha!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

The hotel was great except as mentioned in other reviews that it is a bit out of the way. Our room was also hot which we remedied by opening our window. The road noise was a bit bothersome but better than sweating.

We found the staff helpful and polite with excellent English. There were some controls in the bath that we could never figure out and the water on the shower would go from hot to cold unexpectedly.

We had WiFi on the third floor that was free and fast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with NH Hoteles

1 Thank Jack37069
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The hotel just like the city, is great. It’s river view is incredible as well as its external look. However, we found MANY not so great things in the hotel.
As they didn’t have a garage, by the time we arrive, they offer to “take care” of our car placing it in a “special place” in the street, where they had some cameras watching. 2nd day we found they would charge 30eur for that. I took the car and parked in a similar place. How surprised was I, when they wanted to charge us for the four days. Not only they charge for something that they shouldn’t, but they didn’t even notice my car has not been there on their “safe spot” for the last 3 days.
We forgot 3 coats in the room. Since we would be for more 2 weeks in Europe, we tried constantly to reach the hotel to make sure they would send it to some of our destinations. For a week we called them every single day. Everytime a different employer picked the phone and didn’t know what to answer, always promising to call us in a few minutes. Never got the call back. Never got the coats. We gave up after a week…
The hotel could be closer to downtown and the team could be more polite.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank lmuraca
LucieDagan, Operations Manager at Mamaison Riverside Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Mamaison Riverside Hotel on your visit in May 2011. We appreciate your business.

I had a chance to review the survey that you recently completed here on Tripadvisor. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I would like to apologize for the lack of attention and professionalism on the reception clerk site. It is our standard to inform the guests about the parking fee charge beforehand. I am sorry the clerk didn’t follow this procedure in your case. Our parking is a street parking next to the hotel and the daily charge is 15 EUR, the parking lot is not guarded. The parking lot is only monitored with cameras placed at the reception. We have never had a problem with the stolen car. The fact they didn’t notice the you parked the car somewhere else seems like a confusion in communication between the reception and yourself.
I looked up your guest folio and found the charge for the days when you parked out of the hotel parking was removed from your bill so there wasn’t any additional charge for the services you didn’t use.
To resolve the issue with the forgotten coats I will appreciate if you contact me on my email ldagan@mamaison.com We have very strict procedures regarding lost and found items and I don’t understand why nobody at the reception was able to give you a proper answer. I will appreciate the names of the employees you spoke to.

I would like to apologize one more time for your dissatisfaction with our reception staff and I would like to assure you that during last year there have been lots of changes in terms of standards and employee training and I hope you would receive better service. If you will return to Prague and prefer a location closer to the city center I would highly recommend our sisters hotel Pachtuv Palace which is located right by the Charles Bridge in Prague 1.

Sincerely
Lucie Dagan
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

My wife and I recently returned from the Mamaison and overall enjoyed our stay. The hotel is an impressive building and is well cleaned and maintained, the staff are helpful and always willing to offer help on trips/directions. The location is very convenient and it is possible to walk to Prague castle or the old town square in 20/25minutes; our room also had a lovely view of the river and despite being on a fairly busy road - there is very little traffic noise heard in the room.

There are however a few drawbacks which in our opinion would prevent this hotel being officially ranked as more than a 4* at most

1) The room service menu is subject to an £8 delivery charge per order which in relation to the cost of items on the menu is very expensive.

2) There is no wifi in the rooms and internet access is cable only, there is however wifi in the hotel - sceptically we thought this is intended to force you in there to spend ;-)

3) The TV service is very limited and includes Sky News/Bloomberg and BBC world service as the only English channels; it appeared other nationalities has similarly limited choice in their native languages. Movies are available but are horrendously expensive at £10/11 for movies 4 or 5 years old.

4) Climate/services = Our room was extremely hot even with the heating switched off, the bath tap was also loose which made it difficult to control the temperature effectively.

5) House keeping did not replenish the shampoo/body wash on 2 of our 4 day stay despite us asking them to do so.

6) On the saturday and monday morning there was construction noise from 8am which vibrated through the concrete structure of the hotel. We are well aware that work is sometimes intended or required but a note of warning from the hotel would be appreciated in advance.

7) The phone in our room did not work which made it difficult to relay any of the above to reception.

Overall the hotel offers good value for money but to expect the usual 4 or 5* standards does risk a little dissapointment, keeping a relaxed approach however will mean you still ensure you can still enjoy this hotel !

Room Tip: We had room 402 which was nice but very hot as mentioned; unfortunately we can not comment on any ot...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DAAD1978
perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

We just returned from a three week trip to Europe. I am rather fussy when it comes to hotels, but this hotel would be my favorite.
The staff were friendly and helped me with my bags up to my room. The staff were always obliging, providing maps and tips on what to see in Prague and arranging tours.
The hotel is an old building overlooking the river. It's been renovated with a very classy feel - dark greys and reds with some moody lighting. The rooms all have very high ceilings and have been designed not to be too cluttered (something that all european hotels should be). Our room was on the top floor overlooking the river! Amazing views especially at night!
The bathroom was awesome and very clean! I always look for mould and dirt when staying in hotels but I found none in this room!!
It is close to tram stations, though we didn't use any trams and just ended up walking around Prague.
Free wifi was available to guests but only on the ground floor.
The bar was also very pleasant and we spent a few mid afternoon sampling the Czech wines as we recouped from our daily walks around Prague!
I would without hesitation recommend this boutique hotel to anyone traveling to Prague, and hope to return there when I am next in town.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank moby_ugh
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here at the end of April 2011. The hotel is situated within walking distance from the old town (about 15 minutes) and right across the bridge where the famous Dancing House is placed.
The building looks nice from the outside. The rooms are clean and well-furnished as you would expect of a hotel in this class
The street outside is well transited but the windows do a good work isolating the noise, keep them closed. We rented a car during our 5 day stay but they didn´t have a parking lot and finding a free place was not always easy.
You eat breakfast at the bottom floor and even if there are not any windows they have a projector where they show the live view of the river from a camera placed at the roof of the hotel. Breakfast is basic but good and the waitresses are polite and helpful.
We had a bad experience when we arrived. We booked through otel.com and the clerk at the reception could not find our booking. We had to wait at the bar for 40 minutes (we got free water) but they still couldn´t find us. They offered themselves to help us finding a new hotel but we had to pay again for the whole stay. My wife and I were disappointed, sad and angry. We didn´t want to start our vacation this way, but we did. After all complaining and waiting the clerk finally said that they had found us. We never really got to know if they gave us the room because we kept complaining or because they didn´t know how to use the system, the clerk didn´t seem very confident.
In conclusion if you are not unlucky as we were you will probably have a nice stay here. For us it was the first and the last time.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Victor C
LucieDagan, Operations Manager at Mamaison Riverside Hotel Prague, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time you took to write this review. It was very nice to hear that you enjoyed your room and our location. Your feedback about our breakfast staff is also very appreciated. I will definitely forward it to all of them.

On the other hand I was concerned to hear about the flaws during your stay. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered.

Our hotel provides several parking spots (street parking) and it is recommended to make a reservation in advance. If there is no reservation for it we cannot guarantee the availability upon arrival because who comes first has the priority. In case our parking lot is full we recommend to our guest a garage parking which is app. 10 minutes’ drive from our hotel. I apologize if this caused any discomfort during your stay. I wish we knew before your arrival so we could reserve you a parking spot.

The whole issue with the reception clerk and the misunderstanding with your reservation upon check-in seems very confusing to me. I wish to know who did you deal with because this is definitely not our standard. Sometimes, because of the various reasons, it can happen that the reservation is not in the system but the fact he/she was trying to find you another hotel even though we obviously had rooms seemed very strange and I am not sure if the system was the issue. In April 2011 we had a French internship who just started so I assume that might be the person who was at the reception at that time. He is not working with us anymore but I know this cannot be an excuse. Could you please get back to me with more details so I can take the necessary measurements and find out more? This all seems just seems like unnecessary complication and unprofessional behavior toward you. I would like to discuss this manner with you and will appreciate if you reach me on ldagan at mamaison . com

Yours sincerely,