“tasty tourism made fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Taste Of Prague

Taste Of Prague
Ranked #2 of 106 Food & Drink in Prague
More attraction details
Owner description: The idea behind the Taste of Prague food tours is simple. You follow a local foodie. You eat the best dishes in Prague’s best restaurants frequented by the locals and talk about what you eat and why, and how the food, wine and beer reflects the society, the country and its history and present. We keep our tours fresh, small and personal. Come hungry. Stretch pants optional, but recommended.
detroit
“tasty tourism made fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Jan and Susan showed us a splendid time. We began in a famous political square in the center of Prague, by the National Museum, where we shared slivovitz, a fruit-based alcohol concoction. That was followed by a look at the Commi Parliament, some excellent lager and an audacious sampling of Czech cuisine. Smorgasbord style, we could eat what we wanted and skip what we didn't want. Later, we also tried Czech deli food, small open kind of cocktail party sandwiches. Suffice it to say, this was not all, and many other delicacies and interesting foods were enjoyed. Beyond the food however, Jan and Sue weaved the history of the city/country, their own experiences, and the history/architecture all around into one entertaining thread. We don't always go for guided tour stuff, but we thought we'd better in this strange Slavic land, and we're glad we did this time, cuz the background info really enhanced the whole thing, more than in a guidebook way. Best thing was how they shared the good and the bad stories with us. And all that alcohol didn't hurt ;) Highly recommended! Robert & Whitney

Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
3 attraction reviews
“Highlight of our trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife and I took the Taste of Prague tasting walk for my birthday and I can tell you it was one of the best presents I have ever received.

Zuzi and Jan took us all around Prague from Vinohrady to the Kampa via Wenceslas Square and Old Town, and we sampled a wide variety of (delicious) culinary delights.  Our hosts, their friendly approach and enthusiasm were a blast. What I found most impressive about the tour was their detailed knowledge about all of the areas visited and the random historical facts about the sights and points of interest in between. I find that some tour guides have the tours strictly scripted, but Zuzi and Jan were able to answer any of our questions and adjust the walk to our likes and dislikes.

As regards the food, the highlights included:
- Schnitzels from pork cheeks
- Beef in paprika sauce
- Smoked beef neck with horseradish
- Czech pickles
- Rolls with cream
- Alibernet wine
We were quite full at the end of our journey, but loved every moment of it.

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the tour! I would highly recommend this tour to anyone who looks for something different to do in Prague. The price is very reasonable for the personal service offered.

1 Thank Tim S
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful tour with a huge selection and great hosts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

If I could give 6 stars, I would.

Everything about this tour was amazing! The tour guides and owners of the business, Jan and Zuzi, were just full of information, personal stories, fun facts and jokes. They were also extremely personable and really made each of us feel welcome.

We started off with shots of Slivovitz before making our way to the steak house. On arrival we were greeted with delicious beer shots and then when on to taste about ten local dishes ranging from beef steak tartare, fried cheese, beef neck with paprika sauce all the way to roasted lamb with dumplings with nettles. I still can't quite put my finger on what I liked the most, but I will say that there was not one item I sampled that I didn't like (well, maybe the carp, but I'm not a fan of fish in general, but that's another story). Then we headed to a Czech deli and tried a typical Czech party food, followed by a visit to a café with the best hot chocolate I have ever had. The wine at the end was really tasty. Jan and Zuzi had us strolling through the aisles of Prague with witty banter, local stories and jokes, and I have to say they really made the tour even more interesting than I thought possible.

I cannot praise this group enough. When I'm back in Prague, I absolutely have to do another tour with these guys. I've already recommended this company to a number of my friends and I will continue to do so.

Andover, NJ
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Not what was expected: high cost, little return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Jan and Suzi are nice people, interesting stories about the Czech republic and the days of communism. When we booked the trip we were asked if there was any special food requirements. We requested no raw meat or fish. The first stop was a very nice steakhouse restaurant. We were shown the meat hanging in the window, butchered on the spot and a very nice menu. One of the first items to taste was steak tartar with a raw quail egg. Since we were asked specifically what foods to avoid, we were shocked to see raw meat come to the table. They didn't seem to care that we requested NOT to have raw meat. This stop was disappointing after seeing the menu and not really getting any opportunity to taste cooked beef. For the cost of this tour the amount of food that is sampled is not worth the money. The next stop was deli on a slice of bread and then dessert stops followed by a taste of wine. All in all conversation was very interesting but very expensive (paid in Euro vs. Crownb) for what you got.

Visited March 2012
9 Thank gmerlo
zuzidanek, Owner at Taste Of Prague, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
This updates and replaces our previous response:

Dear Greg,

Thank you very much for your review. We are sad that you were not satisfied with the tour as much as we hoped you would be. We have already sent an e-mail message to the contact provided for your party with an offer for a refund. We definitely do not want to charge for something that you were dissatisfied with.

We take our guests' food allergies, dietary restrictions and preferences very seriously - that's why we ask for them in the first place. However, we do not run private tours. The tour you joined was attended by another couple with no food restrictions. The steak tartare was only one of nine dishes that were served in the steak house (we serve everything family-style and let our guests choose what they like - it's a tasting walk after all), and the only one to incorporate raw meat - other dishes were cooked, baked or roasted. We are also surprised to hear that you found the quantity of the food served during the tour small - we often get the opposite complaint from people who are full at the end of the tour.

We are very sorry to read your review now - we would have definitely made it up to you if these concerns were voiced during or at the end of the tour. This is actually the third review posted for the particular tour you joined - and the two previous (including one from your party) were five-star reviews. We always try to make our guests happy.

We also believe that we provide excellent value for money that goes beyond the tour itself - we give our guests a pdf file with our recommendations and provide them with on-demand tips, suggestions and booking services. We really strive to take full care of our guests during their entire stay in Prague. We are sad to hear you though otherwise.

Best regards,
Zuzi and Jan
Taste of Prague
“A must do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

My husband and I took this tour on our first day in Prague and it was the best part of our trip.
The historical and cultural aspects explained by Jan and Zuzi is wonderful. They are both filled with information about the history of Prague and the Country, which made the experience amazing!

I'd do this tour again :)

Bhava