“so cold”

Ranked #154 of 649 Hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“so cold”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My husband and I just stayed at the Sheraton for a long Valentines weekend. It was -17 outside the day we arrived and was that cold most of the time warming up to about -8 on our last day. The heat didn't work in our room and that was after being shown 3 other rooms. Room 306 is lovely but it didn't have any heat and we were under many blankets, duvets trying to keep warm. We were in that room the first day and most of the second and then we were moved to room 713 which I guess is the penthouse suite but not as nice as 306. We had paid for access to the club lounge but was really the most disappointing club lounge we have ever seen. Breakfast minimal, two pastries out through-out the day- two tiny pastries and evening appetizers very minimal. We had to pay more for the main breakfast in restaurant area which we didn't think we should have had to pay for as breakfast was supposedly included in club lounge. Oh and we paid £30 for 24 hour unlimited films and 1/2 way into that 24 hours both TV's in our room 306 blew out so we couldn't use them. We did get reimbursed for the £30 though. Some of the staff friendly and helpful some really quite rude. We wouldn't stay here again. We often stay at Sheratons around the world as you can usually count on them but not this one. Shouldn't be 5 star, thats for sure. Old hotel, have to walk through bar area and small dark hallways to find the lift. Oh and last day had to rush out of room in the morning as fire alarm went off and we all had to get out and stand out in cold and they thought it was real fire. What do you grab from your room if you are thinking things are going to be destroyed. Just our passports and money. Not a pleasant stay at all. Due to cold room and all other problems we felt that we should have had money taken off our final bill but they didn't. Oh well, live and learn. Having really not enjoyed our hotel stay must say that Prague is a beautiful, magical city and can't wait to visit it again but never in winter again.

Room Tip: 306 is a good room but don't go in winter
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TiggsMorton
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mannheim, Germany
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had a lovely stay at the Sheraton. The location is perfect and the hotel is fairly new, thus is still in pristine condition. The rooms are large and they went over the top to accomodate our dog.
One bad point, at checkout, they tried to dramatically overcharge us at a rate different than that was prebooked. They corrected the problem eventually, after much confusion and accusations on their part about how and what site we booked on. Having lived in Prague for years, I am accustomed to the "czech way" in dealing with these issues, nonetheless, found their behaviour quite rude.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheraton_Prague, Hotel Manager at Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and providing us with your feedback about your stay. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel, as well as the great attitude of our staff while taking care of your dog. As far as the miscommunication at the check-out is concerned, I'll make sure to discuss this with our Front Office staff. Given the fact the Sheraton Prague Hotel is part of a respected multinational hotel chain, I'm positive this was not a deliberate attempt of overcharging, but a unfortunate miscommunication.

I will do my best in ensuring issues like these will not repeat in the future, and hope you will see for yourself when you visit our hotel next time.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Nice rooms, conveniently located. Rooms a bit small but nicely decorated

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Pros: Location and lounge: The location is great for central Prague. Also, they have a small, but great Club Lounge for breakfast if you're SPG Platinum.

Cons: Very old building: If you are looking for a modern hotel, this is not your place. I had to go through the bar and then a small dark hallway, up a short flight of stairs to get to the elevator. When I got to my floor I had another flight of stairs to get to my room, which had windows that looked out onto the hallway.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. We're glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, despite the historical nature of our building. During the complete renovation of these four 19th century buildings, we were facing many limitations as to what we were allowed to do, including inter-connecting of the buildings. I hope this sheds at least some light on the overall organization of the hotel.

I hope you will choose our hotel also next time you are in Prague.

San Juan Cosala, Mexico
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I spent a total of 11 days prior to and after having surgery in Prague. Being SPG platinum, I was offered a suite upon arrival, but since I prefer quiet to space, I opted for an eighth floor simple room at the back with an unobstructed view of Prague Castle. The room was a bit on the small side, but had tasteful decor, a comfy bed and a large bathroom.
While the hotel does not lie in the middle of the Old City, the 10-15 minute walk there was very easy and pleasant (I was able to do this on a daily basis after major surgery, so, I'd imagine, most people should not find it too onerous a stroll). The proximity to Karlovo Namesti & IP Pavlova metro stations was also convenient. In addition, quite a few restaurants, neighborhood bars and markets were in close proximity. The hotel itself had a small club lounge near the front entrance with breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres. The offerings were adequate, but did become a bit monotonous after 11 days.
However, the main "wow" factor, for me at least, was the great service. The cosmopolitan staff included Filip and Jaroslav from the Czech Republic, Daniela from Slovakia, Daniel from Spain, Kareem from Egypt and Gary from Nigeria. All were extremely professional and courteous. A special mention is reserved for Basem, who worked in the lounge and restaurant. He went out of his way to assist me after my surgery for which I am very grateful.
For the service and reasonable rates, I'd highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: For quiet, nothing beats the 8th-floor, castle view rooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Sheraton_Prague, General Manager at Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time and submitting a review to Tripadvisor, as well as for being a loyal Platinum Starwood Preferred Guest. I was glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel, but especially for bringing up all the associates who made your stay carefree and enjoyable. We're looking forward to welcoming you in our hotel again and in the mean time wish you safe travels.