“Fantastic location, very nice staff”
Review of Hostel Downtown

Hostel Downtown
Ranked #6 of 691 Speciality Lodging in Prague
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This hostel was perfect for our group. We were able to get a 4 bed en suite room for the duration of our stay at a very reasonable price. The location could hardly be better, about a 5 minute walk from Wenceslas Square, Old Town Square and Charles Bridge. Tours came to the hotel to pick you up and there were activities arranged at night. The staff were very accommodating when we needed to leave luggage all day for a night train, and let us use the facilities as well. Only 2 complaints: wifi didn't work in our room despite this being promised, and flushing the en suite toilet gave rise to an unpleasant smell. Still highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 June 2012

I have to admit I was initially kind of put off by the hostel, but I grew to really love it. My first reaction was mostly because the woman who checked me in was kind of cold and rude. All the staff that I encountered besides her were friendly and helpful though. The decor isn't anything special and the dorm style room was a little large for my liking (10 people in one room). I wanted to do laundry when I was there but they do not have a dryer and their washer was broken during my stay. However, the location of this hostel is absolutely spectacular. It was in a safe area and it was always kept clean. They offer a good breakfast at a small additional cost. They have computers with internet available for free which was really nice. And they have lots of information on walking tours and group events, including one free event run by the hostel its self each day. I really enjoyed both the free walking tour and the pub crawl. I would love to stay here again sometime!

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Great location, friendly people. You can't beat the location - next to a subway station, near food and at least 2 grocery stores. The hostel itself is fairly average, with creaky bunk beds in the dorms and decent mattresses. The bathrooms were rarely dirty, and if they were they would be cleaned up quickly. The shower worked. There were lockers, which fit my bag and which I felt comfortable leaving my laptop in. It was very quiet usually, but this is more of a testament to the other guests.

But what really makes hostel downtown stand out is the staff. The staff are its greatest asset by far. By this I mean the receptionists, the cleaners, and obviously Kristian. The receptionists are super friendly - the friendliest reception I've had yet. The cleaners are friendly as well, and effective. But lastly - Kristian's presence is what really made this hostel so great. I'm travelling by myself and was pretty nervous about meeting other people - but with Kristian around pretty much every night, you have nothing to fear. I've been to other hostels with event planners, but Kristian's events were not over thought, not alcohol drenched which was refreshing (though they could be if you wanted!), and fun. Even if you don't get along with anyone else, Kristian is an awesome guy who goes out of his way to make sure your stay in Prague is great. I've recommended this hostel to other young people (especially young women) travelling by themselves, and I hope this review furthers that.

Room Tip: The trams can get a bit noisy - the rooms in the back are quieter.
Reviewed 26 May 2012

It is my first time travelling alone, I won't forget the experience. I was a little nervous at first,but the moment I entered the Down town, I felt like at home! The staff and other guests are really nice, cheerful and helpful.

The room and other facilities are very clean. I booked the 9 beds female dorm, and the room no is 11. You won't feel crowd at all with 3 single beds and 3 bunk beds reasonably located in a very,very large room, and there is a bath room right just outside the room, very convenient! No extra charges to tower and lock but only deposits. The kitchen is well equipped with a lot cooking stuff and 2 fridges. The atmosphere in the common room is awesome, quite cozy, without too much noise. They have fun activities with Kristian every day, but I unfortunately missed them...and it is my only regret during my stay...

Another great thing about it is the location! You have every thing you need at the door step: a small supermarket, a bakery, a KFC and several other local fast food shop, a famous Chinese restaurant called 川王府,a big Tesco in the shopping center across the road, and the renowned Cafe Louvre is also opposite the road. It is in the walking distance to both old town square, Charles Bridge, and the New town center. Besides it is also very near to the metro station and tram station, which will take you to any place like main train station and airport.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

This was the second time I've stayed at Downtown. The staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms and bathrooms clean. Great kitchen and common room area. One little thing they need to add to the kitchen is an oven! One of the best things about the hostel are activities with Kristian in the evening. They are a lot of fun and a great way to meet other people staying at the hostel.

• Stayed: April 2012