“THE MOST MAGICAL WEDDING EVER”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Popoyo
Magnific Rock Hotel
Reviewed 29 June 2017

Married on 4.22.17

My husband and I visited Magnific Rock on vacation with a few friends about one and a half years ago and fell absolutely in love with it. So much so that we decided to get married there! Originally my husband and I chose Magnific Rock for our destination wedding because of the beautify of its surroundings. We loved the lay back and off-the-grid feel of the environment, the bungalows with private balconies overlooking the pacific, and the surf right in front of the hotel. However, in the end, it was the staff that made the entire trip and our day so special. Amy worked with me for 4 months leading up to the event and repeatedly reassured me that it would be magical. There really is no better way to describe how the day worked out to be or the entire trip.

Amy let my husband and I pick out our menu, which included lobster (fresh caught from the surrounding beaches) along with an endless buffet of the amazing Scott Johnston’s masterpiece creations, some of which included: Whole Baked Snapper with Chili Lime Butter; Orange Glazed Roast Chicken; Roasted Ginger Carrots; Vegetable Brochettes and Lentil Chia Patties. He even was nice enough to include a number of vegan dishes for our vegan guests and accommodated my mother’s dairy allergy AAAANd, as if that wasn’t enough, he mixed my husband and my favorite deserts to make a Chocolate Brownie with Peanut Caramel Cheesecake for our wedding cake. Honestly…I could rave just about the food for days but I’m going to stop because this post is making me drool. One more note….we live in the Philadelphia area and have a number of “foodie” friends who said it was the best food they have ever had. Ok enough about the food.

Amy also allowed me to send her a picture of the decor and vibe I was looking for and she surprised me by having it all done to a T with a few added bonuses like hammocks to lounge in after dinner and before our live band started to play for the reception. We wanted to get married on the beach so she had an alter made to look like a picture I sent her and again added her own touches which were just above and beyond (such as by decorating the aisle with flowers and rocks and having handmade wooden chairs and palm fans for all our guests. We had a local guitarist play for us as we walked down the aisle and he ended up just hanging out throughout the photo shoot and our dinner in the main restaurant to entertain us. Amy had the entire restaurant shut down for our event and decorated it better than my wildest dreams. I uploaded an obnoxious amount of pictures because I think pictures really do say a thousand words. I unfortunately can not upload the beautiful pictures taken by our photographer but the ones even from guests will give you a picture of the time, energy, and love that Magnific Rock poured into our wedding preparation. The afterparty was in the Rock Bottom Bar where we danced with locals and fellow travelers to a live band while enjoying our own private roped off VIP area with an open bar. Lastly they put on the absolutely BEST firework show to end our first dance. You would think fireworks,a live band, a guitarist, a custom made alter, and beach ceremony set up, flowers and decor, a buffet dinner and open bar for 25 people would cost a lot but it was honestly cheaper than it would have been for us to have a backyard wedding at home in the States. Just take a look at the prices of their ocean front rooms and you will get a sense of how reasonable it is.

Honestly, I just can not express how thankful I am to Magnific Rock and all their staff for the hospitality and love they showed us for the entire week. I also can not thank the staff enough for collecting flowers for me to make the wild and local bouquet I was hoping to have, our bartenders and servers for keeping our drinks filled and being there for us as if we were their own sisters or brothers or to room service for decorating our apartment room for our wedding night. It was an absolute honor to have one of our most important days hosted by this team. We could not have even dreamed of it all working out better than it had. SO to end, if you are thinking of getting married in Nicaragua THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE. You might need a little patience when it comes to email responses but your wedding day will be beyond all your wildest dreams.

THANK YOU AGAIN MAG ROCK for the amazing views, food, drinks, fun, and especially to you Amy for being my wedding planner/organizer/fairy-godmother to see it all through :) You all truly are MAGICAL :)

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 May 2017

I recently stayed at Magnific Rock with an entire wedding party. There was a large group of us and they were extremely accommodating. They did an amazing job with the wedding too! Amy was very helpful and the chef was around during our big meals and was happy to explain every type of food he made. While I can't personally comment on the food (I was sick with minimal to no taste) everyone in our group was raving about how good the food was the entire time. The smoothies definitely do not disappoint either. There was a nice breeze coming off of the water majority of the time. We brought some bug spray and didn't touch it & we left without a single bug bite. It was fun to watch all the surfers and neat to check out the little mini tide pools in the rocks during low tide.The rooms all had an ocean view with a balcony and chairs. All of the staff were excellent and friendly. Overall, it was a fun stay and experience!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2017

I have been in this place twice and I really liked the view to the Ocean, they have a restaurant upstairs and a Bar downstairs I went straight to the bar I liked the pool, the prices are reasonable. Internet was not good.
Hope to visit this place again!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fideltraveler_17
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

I arrived at Mag Rock after a long journey and was looking forward to a few weeks of surfing and yoga in what looked to be an amazing location. I wasn't disappointed by this - the view is incredible and in terms of proximity to the waves (beginners bay) it couldn't be better. However there are a number of things which let the place down, unfortunately one of these is the staff. While the Nica staff are fine, the International staff do not seem to want to help you at all - and after chatting to other people there it seems I wasn't the only one to feel this way. When you arrive somewhere after a long journey and especially as a solo traveller it can be tough to be met with people that generally seem like they can't be bothered to help you out, answer your questions, tell you about the place. I'm not sure why but they seem unhappy to be working there and perhaps this is reflected in the way they treat guests. It generally lends an unwelcoming vibe to the place which is a real shame (however Surf instructor Erol is amazing and one of the nicest, best instructors I have met on various surf trips). Also the pool / bar areas could be greatly improved - not sure whether it's lots of people hot, sweaty and partying but they don't seem very clean and the pool really needs some parasols / shade as impossible to sit out there in the heat. I don't like to give negative reviews but just feel the hotel could really be something brilliant and it's being let down by a couple of factors. One more thing was the yoga - this is great but it says online it is twice a day but is only once. Overall I did enjoy my stay at Mag Rock - the surfing was amazing, the location perfect, food was great and the dorms really good value for money and I ended up staying longer than planned. However if I return to Popoyo would stay close by but another spot, as for me - as a solo traveller - it is really important to feel welcome in a place and that you can ask questions, learn about the surf etc from people that actually want to help you and enjoy working in hospitality. Hope this can be worked on as the place could be lovely!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank 956vicjc
Reviewed 17 April 2017

First let me preface this review by saying this is somewhat age dependent. If you are a young single looking for a surf vacation with buds, this place is great. If you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, perhaps look somewhere else.

I stayed in one of the apartments overlooking the ocean. The view is definitely top notch. No better view anywhere. The apartment itself needs some care. Old bedding, old towels, AC only in the bedroom, intermittent wifi. I noticed some of the apartments were being upgraded and they looked a bit nicer, but I was in an older one. Depending on what you are here for, some of these things might be more or less important to you.

Food in the restaurant was good but the service was horrible. I am glad I brought my own beer that I had in my room because none of the staff come around to ask if you would like another drink. I sat down for breakfast one morning with maybe 3 other people in the restaurant. A group of 4 came in after me, got waited on and served their food before I was even waited on. Not good.

The pool area unfortunately in downwind from some type of sewage smell. Not pleasant to be around the pool.

In summary, this place has potential. Definitely the best views of the ocean and sunsets. But some customer service upgrades are needed.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank tonspag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Popoyo
3.4 km away
4.2 km away
Soma Surf Resort
Soma Surf Resort
#1 of 14 in Popoyo

Been to Magnific Rock Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK