All reviewsmag rockamazing viewslobsteroverlooking the oceanchef scottduring low tideouter reefbar downstairsmain restaurantfun to watchawesome spotfew weekswatch the sunsetsuper funfellow travelerstide poolssurf lessons
Reviewed 5 May 2017

I recently stayed at Magnific Rock with an entire wedding party. There was a large group of us and they were extremely accommodating. They did an amazing job with the wedding too! Amy was very helpful and the chef was around during our big meals and was happy to explain every type of food he made. While I can't personally comment on the food (I was sick with minimal to no taste) everyone in our group was raving about how good the food was the entire time. The smoothies definitely do not disappoint either. There was a nice breeze coming off of the water majority of the time. We brought some bug spray and didn't touch it & we left without a single bug bite. It was fun to watch all the surfers and neat to check out the little mini tide pools in the rocks during low tide.The rooms all had an ocean view with a balcony and chairs. All of the staff were excellent and friendly. Overall, it was a fun stay and experience!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2017

I have been in this place twice and I really liked the view to the Ocean, they have a restaurant upstairs and a Bar downstairs I went straight to the bar I liked the pool, the prices are reasonable. Internet was not good.
Hope to visit this place again!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fideltraveler_17
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

I arrived at Mag Rock after a long journey and was looking forward to a few weeks of surfing and yoga in what looked to be an amazing location. I wasn't disappointed by this - the view is incredible and in terms of proximity to the waves (beginners bay) it couldn't be better. However there are a number of things which let the place down, unfortunately one of these is the staff. While the Nica staff are fine, the International staff do not seem to want to help you at all - and after chatting to other people there it seems I wasn't the only one to feel this way. When you arrive somewhere after a long journey and especially as a solo traveller it can be tough to be met with people that generally seem like they can't be bothered to help you out, answer your questions, tell you about the place. I'm not sure why but they seem unhappy to be working there and perhaps this is reflected in the way they treat guests. It generally lends an unwelcoming vibe to the place which is a real shame (however Surf instructor Erol is amazing and one of the nicest, best instructors I have met on various surf trips). Also the pool / bar areas could be greatly improved - not sure whether it's lots of people hot, sweaty and partying but they don't seem very clean and the pool really needs some parasols / shade as impossible to sit out there in the heat. I don't like to give negative reviews but just feel the hotel could really be something brilliant and it's being let down by a couple of factors. One more thing was the yoga - this is great but it says online it is twice a day but is only once. Overall I did enjoy my stay at Mag Rock - the surfing was amazing, the location perfect, food was great and the dorms really good value for money and I ended up staying longer than planned. However if I return to Popoyo would stay close by but another spot, as for me - as a solo traveller - it is really important to feel welcome in a place and that you can ask questions, learn about the surf etc from people that actually want to help you and enjoy working in hospitality. Hope this can be worked on as the place could be lovely!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank 956vicjc
Reviewed 17 April 2017

First let me preface this review by saying this is somewhat age dependent. If you are a young single looking for a surf vacation with buds, this place is great. If you are a couple looking for a romantic getaway, perhaps look somewhere else.

I stayed in one of the apartments overlooking the ocean. The view is definitely top notch. No better view anywhere. The apartment itself needs some care. Old bedding, old towels, AC only in the bedroom, intermittent wifi. I noticed some of the apartments were being upgraded and they looked a bit nicer, but I was in an older one. Depending on what you are here for, some of these things might be more or less important to you.

Food in the restaurant was good but the service was horrible. I am glad I brought my own beer that I had in my room because none of the staff come around to ask if you would like another drink. I sat down for breakfast one morning with maybe 3 other people in the restaurant. A group of 4 came in after me, got waited on and served their food before I was even waited on. Not good.

The pool area unfortunately in downwind from some type of sewage smell. Not pleasant to be around the pool.

In summary, this place has potential. Definitely the best views of the ocean and sunsets. But some customer service upgrades are needed.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank tonspag
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

The Hotel is building new rooms, and there is too much noise, the masons are working from 8am to 4pm and it is impossible to feel relaxed in our room after the surf session of the morning. We complained with the receptionist of the Hotel but apparently they didn't even care, we came here for a vacation trip, I cannot understand how they decided to build more rooms having guests staying next to the construction...

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends