“"Great Time"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Connecticut
“"Great Time"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I took my wife to PR for her birthday. We spent 4 night at this resort and we had a blast!! When we researched the resort and saw the pics, it looked the same when we arrived. The staff was exceptionally pleasant, helpful and very friendly. We were told about the steak house in the hotel before we got there and we were looking forward to eating there but unfortunately they close the day we arrived. However Angel (staff) pointed us to the Intecontinental hotel next door at Rick's Steak house, that served fabulous steak and lobster. We went there and it was very upscaled, elegant and the food was awesome. Their Mojitos are the best we had ever had and the staff was just as firendly as the ones in our hotel.The pools at El San Juan are great and just a great environment to relax. We found the staff very helpful with questions concerning local resturants, transportation and sites. There are great local resturantsto eat, whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner. Overall my wife and I had a great time and we are looking forward to going back soon.

MT, Connecticut

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower with oceam view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marvin T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

My husband and I have stayed numerous times over the years at the El San Juan and as far as we are concerned it is the only place to stay, although a bit expensive it is all worth it. The beach and service on the beach is excellent.The casino and the hotel lobby is always exciting and fun no matter what time of year.Make sure you venture out to Lupi's next door or Ruth Chris also next door.Starbucks is in the lobby, walgreens is down the street. Make sure you dress to impress in the lobby at nite, and don't forget to go to Old San Juan and if you are in Puerto Rico for a long stay venture out to Rincon, beautiful also.Breakfast is expensive but very good, the birds are just bothersome when sitting outside.

Room Tip: Always, Always stay in the tower, the rooms have been renovated, and the other rooms outside are hor...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank BEACHTRAVELER648
Nassau County
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Don't stay here, you will be very disappointed. I just returned from 6 nights here and I would NEVER go back...nor would I recommend it to anyone! The place was grubby and the lobby bathrooms were filthy. They smelled disgusting and were definitely not cleaned regularly. My room was near the elevator on the 6th floor (although my Hilton Honors profile says that I prefer to be away from the elevator). There was a terribly annoying (almost like nails on a blackboard after 6 days) squeaking door behind the elevators, that sounded like it was in my room. It must have been used by the service staff because it happened all day and all night. It drove me nuts. I was told the hotel was full so I could not move.

The pools were beautiful but it was very difficult to get a lounge chair. There was a sign near the towel house that said that pool staff would clear lounge chairs at 9:30 am...I assume to free up chairs that were not being used so that they would be available for others. I never saw anyone do that. As a matter of fact, there was a man's shirt sitting on a lounge chair for 2 days and no one ever moved it. The pool cleaner actually tried it on to see if he should take it but it was too big for him. He threw it back on the chair and left it there. I guess it would have been OK for him to take it if it fit, but it never crossed his mind to turn it into the Lost & Found??? The majority of lounge chairs had towels on them but were not being used.

On the Saturday of my visit, it poured rain all day. I spent quite a bit of time in my room since there was not much else to do. The service staff spent hours in the hallways laughing and fooling around...they were very noisy. It was clear to me that most of the employees were more interested in socializing with their coworkers rather than doing their jobs. Guests were not their priority.

Although the pools were very nice and they were cleaned every morning, on my last day at the resort, I saw some weird film/sludge near one of the filters. It was gross and I have no idea what it was. This was after the pool was cleaned...YUK!

This was my first trip to PR and if I go back it will NOT be to the El San Juan. I wish I had read some of the reviews before I booked my trip. I would have gone somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay away from the City Vista Rooms (especially room 628). The view is supposed to be of the city b...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pat_R_99999
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Pat, We thank you for taking the time to share your review, and for taking the time to write this review to let us know about our services and facilities. We are constantly looking for ways to improve all aspects of the resort and to address areas of opportunity. I would like you to contact me at your convenience, to have more details on your stay to be able to fix the breakdowns. Our ultimate goal is for you to be satisfied and certainly you are not. We are currently in the process of renovating some areas in the hotel, for our guests future enjoyment and to better cater to your needs and provide you with the quality product you have come to expect from a Hilton property.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon, I remain at your service.

Susan.wilkerson@hilton.com
Edina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I was troubled by some of the reveiws and wondered if it was for the same hotel. Face it it is a resort on the beach in a major city. Things are expensive if you are at the resort. Hint, there are alternatives for meals within a couple blocks that are reasonable and good if that is your issue. The lobby is spectacular and the casino very nice. Places rocks on the weekend.
The staff I encountered were polite, friendly and helpful. The room was nice but somewhat worn. I can understand some of the reviews based on the quality of rooms at other Hiltons. Close to the airport.

Room Tip: The higher you get the further from club noise. Further from elevator is quite as well.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen B
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I would have given the property itself 3 or 4 stars, but I can't get over the way the staff treated us while we were there.

My friends and I booked a girls trip online through the El San Juan Resort and Casino Website. When booking, they charged my credit card $900 as a deposit. When it came time to check out, they had no record of charging a deposit. Finally, after a 35 minute conversation with the front desk, they found the charge and then were supposed to put the remainder of the charges on my card. The receipt had my name, credit card number and signature on it. Traveling with six girls, I spent the time to split up the difference and each one was to pay me a sum. It is a cumbersome process.

Two months after we return from our trip, one of my friends who had put down her card only to get into the room and had asked several times for it not to be charged, was actually charged the difference minus the deposit. With no signature, no conversation, nothing. Then, the hotel calls me with my friend on the line and says can we now charge your card instead of your friends with no mention of a credit card authorization form or other indication that I am in fact the owner of my credit card and can be charged.

Other examples of rude staff include ladies at the Italian deli chatting with each other instead of fixing any food, even when you are standing there and waiting for your order. Water was not poured, ever, we had to get up and get it ourselves.

It was all in all a good trip, because my girls and I aren't fussy, but the staff and unprofessionalism of the finance department and some of the restaurants on-site definitely took away from this trip.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Angie N
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Angie, we certainally appreciate you taking your time to share your review on this site,I am quite dissapointed to hear of the issues you encountered with our staff and the billing problem, charges, etc.. please contact me at your earliest convenience for further detail, with the intent to avoid these problems you encountered for future guests, it will be my priority to follow up on the breakdown in this area and take the necessary steps to correct. Again, on behalf of our entire staff, we apologize to you and your friends for the inappropriate manner this situation was handled.
Thank you for your feedback, and allowing us the opportunity to address these issues.
Best Regards
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,546 reviews
5.7 km away
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK