My husband and I are taking our honeymoon in PR. We decided we'd stay in a nice resort for the first few nights, and downsize for the last 3. Based on mostly good reviews, we chose Hampton Inn & Suites. It wasn't ALL bad, but bad enough for us to check out early, ask for a refund, and go elsewhere
When we arrived, we thought it looked quite nice. The lobby is well done. Staff is friendly. We were given a "non-smoking" room that reaked of smoke. It was also damp, smelled moldy, had a very strong "covering-up-bad-smell-with-low cost air-freshened" smell. It was quite gross. The carpet is a dingy brown, and the rooms are dark. Not much light from the window. We checked diligently for bed bugs and found none (phew!). Bathroom had a bad smell, and tub was DIRTY. We opened the window, but mosquitoes swarmed in . We asked for a screen for the window to air out the room. They do not have screens. We asked to switch rooms. We were told that no other rooms were available. So we stayed the night. They told us that the next day they'd do an air purification treatment in the room. When we came back after being out for 4 hours, there was a small machine in the room , barely making noise, and seemingly not doing much. The smell was overwhelming. They said they couldn't switch our room until the next day. That night, we found an online deal to spend our last night in a luxury resort up the street. That day, a staff member had told us that people before us had complained about that room. The occupants the previous week were smoking.
So, the hotel KNEW that the room had a foul odor, yet they did not remedy the issue before putting guests in the room.
We checked out early, and at the desk there is a plaque that states that if the customer isnt satisfied they don't have to pay. We were comped one of the nights. I didn't push for both. Staff are friendly, and seemed to understand
Side note: LOTS of families with kids. We knew that going in, but just reinforcing that it's a family hotel.
I'm not one to complain, and this place wasn't a complete flop.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the Isla Verde area, the Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan hotel is perfect for business and leisure travelers with a swim-up Cabana Pool Bar & Grill, weekday evening reception, free WiFi and free breakfast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn And Suites San Juan
- Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan Hotel Isla Verde
- Hampton Inn Carolina
- Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan Puerto Rico
- Hampton Inn San Juan
- Carolina Hampton Inn
- Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan Isla Verde, Puerto Rico - Carolina