“Delightfully different Sushi!”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 January 2017

My wife and I visited Matsuri Sushi last night for the very first time. The restaurant was not busy and we were able to engage our waitress, Candace, in conversations about the menu and her recommendations. She was very animated and passionate about the food, suggesting that the Chef's Specials were what set this restaurant apart from every other sushi restaurant in the area. In the end, after she asked some probing questions about our preferences, we asked her to suggest the dishes and order of presentation. That was the best we made that day! We started with Albacor Tuna in Ponzu sauce, a melt in your mouth delight that was very reminiscent of Ceviche, but lighter and more delicate. Candace suggested keeping the left over sauce and experimenting with it - using it instead of the traditional soy sauce with wasabi. That was a brilliant suggestion. The milder flavour complemented the sushi, nigiri and maki rolls far better than soy sauce in virtually every side by side tasting. We rolled through the Chef's Choice menu as selected by Candace, finishing with their signature Unagi both nigiri and hand rolled style for a side by side taste comparison. Dessert was a light egg souffle that doesn't appear on the menu followed by some red grapes at their peak of perfection - the perfect conclusion to an amazing meal. Every dish was excellent, made with top grade fish and rice. What set it apart was the toppings and sauces. I've eaten sushi throughout the central Ontario, BC, California, Hawaii and Japan. This was definitely on a par with the best I've ever had, rivalling a small sushi restaurant in the fishing village of Kamogawa for top honours. If you are more interested quality than quantity, this restaurant should be on your radar.

3  Thank DRCI1075

Reviewed 15 October 2016

Best sushi in the area; no contest. Careful preparation, open kitchen experience. Restaurant atmosphere delivers a 'local' feel to diners.

3  Thank AnPAncaster
Reviewed 5 August 2016

Sure, it's not all you can eat and it's not open past 10 PM, but hey, that's some prime fish they use in their sushi, it just melts in your mouth. Ask the servers to recommend things to eat, you will not be disappointed. I'd rather pay a bit more here and know that I'm getting tasty fish than go to all you can eat and get sick afterward.

1  Thank Mira_que_Bella
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

We're visiting friends in Dundas and they surprised us with some sushi for a snack. This stuff was so good I had to ask where they got it from and they said it came from Matsuri Sushi. They tell me they get sushi from this place regularly and it's consistently great. Well I have to agree, it is great. With food like this I may find myself visiting my friends more often. Or I may even have to come to Dundas just to catch a meal at Matsuri Sushi on my own. No matter how you get, this sushi is worth going out of your way for.

1  Thank Pat M
Reviewed 28 June 2016

This is a source of truly delicious sushi -- the chef is well known with a devoted following that regularly comes here from Toronto and further afield. Whether you're looking for an affordable lunch special or a feast for a special event, you'll find something here for your taste and your budget. It's a small cozy restaurant that shows interest in each patron. Highly recommended, a favourite restaurant!