Review Highlights
week long tour of switzerland

We started in Geneva and our tour took us through the entire country hitting all the highlights and... read more

Reviewed 12 July 2017
jnbhmi
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Professional Team

We're tour company in USA who arranged a group of 30 people visiting Switzerland on May 2017. We... read more

Reviewed 29 May 2017
Jay8151
Los Angeles, California

All reviews tour company carmen switzerland trip swisssafari kurt country team life mountains castle
Reviewed 28 September 2014

My husband's dream was to see the Swiss Alps and I was keenly interested, too. We both love dramatic mountain scenery, and the peace and serenity that is quintessentially Swiss was calling. Only problem was we didn't have time to plan the trip. A business colleague spoke so glowingly about Carmen Aebi's Swiss Safaris that I thought surely he was exaggerating. Not. Carmen and her team may possibly have given us the best customer service we've ever experienced, and we've been to a lot of places in Europe, the South Pacific and the USA.

So, what made it so good? Right from the start, Carmen was keenly interested in what we needed and wanted. Through regular email correspondence she got a handle on what we were trying to get out of the trip and made suggestions about where to go, where to stay, how to do it. The correspondence was unerringly cordial, and she always had a willingness to try and get it right for us. For instance, I was projecting we should stay in Zurich one night to get over jet lag, and Carmen recommended we get on the road with one of her drivers, Kurt, get into the countryside, and get on local time - which was exactly the right thing. Kurt was the perfect combination of competence, intuition, commitment and expertise. With an intense desire to provide great client service. He surprised me with a Rivella for refreshment when we made a stop in Brienz. He always found a spot for my husband to take pictures. He organized our train and bus passes. And appeared out of no where the night before we left to drive on to Italy, with a lift to our hotel from the bus stop after we had spent most of the day up on Jungfraujoch (and I had an altitude headache and REALLY didn't want to wait for the bus.) Kurt drove us all the way from Grindelwald to Venice. He was a fabulous driver - discussed the route with us, explained Swiss history, showed us unusual sights (air fields, hydro power dams) and also knew how to let us have silence and space for our own thoughts. And, he had learned on the first day that I was a flutist and for the long ride to Venice, he brought along James Galway CD's and music he thought I would enjoy. Made the ride so enjoyable and I so appreciated his thoughtfulness.

Carmen had little gifts coming our way from the moment we set foot in the country. Chocolates, pens (really nice ones) and pocket knifes engraved with our names. On the way home 10 days later, not thinking, we forgot to check Bob's knife. Security properly confiscated it and we were forlorn. Bob loves pocket knifes and had to leave it behind. I wrote Carmen asking to buy another from her for Bob's birthday. She had one re-engraved to my specifications, sent it in a package with (another) small gift for me, and wouldn't hear of being reimbursed. She shipped Bob another one in time for his birthday with her best wishes.

Swiss Safaris gets my highest recommendation. If you're plannig a trip to Switzerland/northern Italy, check them out. It was the best choice we could have made for our vacation. Thanks Carmen and Kurt! Marianne and Bob

6  Thank CoachMarianne
SwissSafari, Owner at SwissSafari GmbH, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Dear Marianne and Bob
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I am very happy that you enjoyed your holidays in Switzerland and Italy and that our service met your expectations. For Kurt and me it was a pleasure to spend some time with you - thank you for having been our guests and for your trust in us!
All the best - we hope to see you again one day!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was discouraged trying to arrange our family trip to Switzerland with local travel agencies. Fortunately, I found Swisssafari and Carmen Abei on the internet. I read the positive reviews on Trip Advisor and decided to contact Swisssafari. During the planning period, we communicated frequently and Carmen always returned my emails promptly. Any hesitations I had planning this trip on my own were quickly alleviated by the professionalism of Carmen. Our guide, Kurt, was exceptional. He related well with the 7 adults and especially with our 4 teenage grandchildren. The trip was above any expectations I ever had. Not having to worry about driving, gasoline, toll roads, dinner reservations, etc was a real positive. Please refer to my daughter-in-laws review of the many details of our trip which I can only reaffirm. I would highly recommend Swisssafari and Carmen.
Peter W

9  Thank Petewip
SwissSafari, Geschäftsführer at SwissSafari GmbH, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Pete,
Thank you very much for taking your time to write this rating.
With pleasure I read that our service met your expectations and that you had a wonderful holiday and a good time in Switzerland. It was my personal highlight to meet you in person.
Thank you again for having been our guests - it was a pleasure to create this tour for you - together with you!
Sincerely, Carmen

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family and I just returned from a 10 day trip to Germany/Switzerland. My husband's great great grandfather immigrated to the United States in c.1890 from Altdorf, Switzerland. In 1985, my husband's parents took him and his two brothers to tour the country of their heritage. They all loved it so much they decided to go back. This time there were 11 of us. We were incredibly blessed that my father-in-law found Carmen and Swiss Safari! Carmen Abei worked patiently and communicated frequently for many months before our trip to ensure that no detail was missed. Our itinerary was absolutely perfect! Our transportation was very comfortable in our large Mercedes van that could accommodate 20 passengers. All our hotels were beautiful and unique as well as being strategically located to sites or shopping. Our itinerary included Castle Neuschwanstien in Fussen, Germany, Mt. Pilatus in Lucerne, Emmantel, Bern, Altdorf (home of William Tell), Einsiedeln Monastery, Grindelwald and a trip to Junfraujoch with some hiking, Castle Chillon, Zermatt and the Matterhorn with more incredible hiking and Zurich. It was a full week but expertly organized by Swiss Safari!

As for our driver and guide, Kurt, well he was an absolute pleasure! He was timely, patient, funny, energetic and extremely knowledgable. There could not have been more than 2 or 3 questions he could not answer for us, and we had plenty! He knew the history of the land, the roads, and translated for us when necessary. He even knew the names of the many beautiful flowers we passed on our way. He knew all the ins and outs of getting around and seeing the sites, buying tickets for us in advance when it was possible, and basically making it the most worry free vacation myself and probably the rest of the crew have ever experienced. He's a congenial, happy individual and it was infectious!

As for the country itself, I have never been to a more beautiful place. The lush green valleys, the neatly manicured farmlands, the gorgeous mountains, the charming Swiss chateaus with the bright flower boxes on every window, the magnificent castles, the crystal blue lakes and streams, the powerful waterfalls, the clear air... I am completely enchanted.

I recommend Carmen Abei and Swiss Safari with absolutely no reservations. They are professional, personable and courteous. Thank you so much Carmen and Kurt for making this vacation one that will always be remembered as one of the best times of our lives. It would not have been possible without the hard work of both of you!

12  Thank Allison W
SwissSafari, Inhaber at SwissSafari GmbH, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Allison,
Many thanks for this fantastic review and for the time you have invested to post it!
I am happy that the tour lifed up to your expectations and that you and your family could enjoy a worry free time in Switzerland. This is what a holiday should be like.
For me it was a pleasure to ceate this tour for your family and Kurt truly enjoyed being your driver/guide.
Thank you for your trust in us and for sharing this time with us! We would be happy to welcome you back to our homeland in the future.
All the best to you all!

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We wanted to visit both Switzerland and Austria and chose SwissSafari. We returned a couple weeks ago and It turned out to be one of the best decisions we've ever made. From the start, Carmen was very timely & detailed in her answers to my questions and after she understood the kind of traveler's we were, she was able to put together an itinerary perfect for us. We had two weeks and I wanted to be sure we could see as much as possible and Carmen did exactly that. Our guide in Switzerland was Hugo who was an absolute professional. He was very pleasant, very informative and made it clear it was our vacation and he would do whatever he could to make our trip wonderful. I am the family photographer and Hugo made it a point to stop wherever he could so I could get the best photos possible. We would have never made it to the small villages we did, or eaten at the many wonderful specially selected restaurants if we had tried to do this on our own or worse taken a tour with a large company. Carmen chose perfectly located hotels so that we could enjoy walking around in the evenings and managed to put together a very efficient itinerary for us in a very short amount of time. She met us on the day we arrived with maps, tickets, passes and everything else we needed. It was truly the most stress free trip we have ever taken. I would definitely recommend SwissSafari to anyone wanting to get the most out of their days in Switzerland. My husband and I made this trip with our daughter who is finishing up a semester abroad in Paris. We are hoping to visit again with our other two children and we will surely let Carmen & SwissSafari plan our trip again. Switzerland is an expensive country by any standard and we believe Carmen put together the best trip possible while trying to keep the price as fair as possible. Thank you Carmen, it was a joy to work with you while we planned our trip and it was wonderful to meet you! We look forward to our next adventure with you.

12  Thank Burke642013
SwissSafari, Owner at SwissSafari GmbH, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear L...,
Thank you very much for the great rating. I am happy that you had such a fantastic time and that you were happy with the service we peovided. Ratings like yours motivate us to continue with what we do.

For me it was such a pleasure to meet you in Switzerland and to share some time with you.

I look forward to creating another fantastic program for your family and to welcoming you back to my homeland !

Warm regards

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have had the opportunity and pleasure of touring with Carmen and SwissSafari twice. We came to think of Carmen as not only our guide, but also our friend. She is the best there is.

Our first trip was a weeklong tour through Switzerland. Carmen put together an itinerary to meet our needs, was very flexible when we wanted to change on the spot, and incredibly detail oriented. Professional and thorough, she continually exceeded expectations. All hotels, meals, and activities went smoothly and on time. Several yeas later we booked with her again, this time for a 10-day tour starting in Switzerland and ending in Italy. Even though it had been several years between trips, when we got in the car this time, she had it stocked with my favorite soda and my wife's favorite chocolates,which she remembered from our first trip! That's Carmen in a nutshell.

A few other anecdotes to explain what you can expect when you tour with SwissSafari: Once, when we changed our minds at the last minute and decided to take a car versus a train to one of our destinations, Carmen made it happen pronto, and from long distance. And in Italy, I mistakenly left my briefcase in a restaurant that was an hour away from our hotel. My computer and iPad were in it. When I called our driver Kurt late that night to let him know we would need to go try to retrieve it the next morning, he insisted on driving over there immediately, which he did, despite my assurances I did not expect that. Even though he had already been up and driving us around all day, starting 15 hours earlier, he did so cheerfully. An incredible display of customer service.

It is my pleasure to leave this review for Carmen and SwissSafari. They are the best in class.

12  Thank Gary B
SwissSafari, Owner at SwissSafari GmbH, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Gary,
Thank you so much for this great review which fills me with happiness und proud!
It's easy to drive good tours with pleasant and great guests like you are!
I look forward to welcoming you in the future and to create another memorable tour for you.
Warmest regards