“Amazing ”
Review of The Poet

The Poet
Reserve with OpenTable
The Poet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Matfield
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 46
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We believe that your dining experience with us starts the moment you walk through our door. A friendly greeting from our front of house team, lead by co-owner Andy Urbanek and Manager Simon Moore. The Poet offers a vast selection of craft gins, handpicked wines and quirky cocktails. Chef Patron Petrus Madutlela and his team tempt customers with an imaginative array of contemporary British food.
Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Had the most amazing meal this evening.

The food was excellent and the service out of this world.

Thanks guys it was a loveky evening :-)

We'll be back soon ....

Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

The Poet is my local and as a reasonably frequent visitor, I have omitted to review it simply because it is my local but I feel it needed a review from me after my latest lunch a few days ago.

Petrus and his team have worked hard to get this restaurant to such an outstanding level that people travel from far off to enjoy its ambiance and great food. The downside is that it is becoming harder to get a table and so booking in the evening is an absolute must.

The set menu for lunch is unlike most set menus elsewhere and is more like a light dinner at a smart London restaurant without the London prices. It has to be the one of the best restaurants in Kent now and beats almost every restaurant I have reviewed in the last three years.

Petrus came and joined us for a chat afterwards and he deserves every accolade in the book for not only being utterly charming but a fabulous chef. This place trounces every restaurant in Tunbridge Wells but please don’t come here too often otherwise us locals won’t be able to dine here because it is always fully booked.

Well done all of you - I know it’s a team effort!

Reviewed 9 April 2018

First visit since new owners and have to agree with most contributors the food really is top notch. Jumbo quail breast, confit leg as starter was main course portion size. Filet of beouf very well prepared. Tart tatin excellent. Only tiny gripe had to pour my wine a couple of times and get rid of paper napkins!

Would definitely return. Possibly best food in T wells area

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

Great welcome on our entrance where we were offered our table or to have a drink at the bar. I’d recommend the Rhubarb Gin ! Excellent choice on the menu, l chose the beetroot & goats cheese to start, full of flavour, and halibut as a main which was delicious. Generous portions of side dishes cooked perfectly. For pudding l ‘plumped’ for panna cotta with mandarin sorbet, l wanted to lick the dish which says it all. All staff very friendly and relaxed. Thank you and will definitely recommend we’ve done before.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We went for the first time tonight with 2 other friends. The welcome was efficient and friendly without being over the top.A really varied a la carte menu with another limited choice alternative. Service was prompt, professional and cheerful. The food was excellent - very tasty with subtle flavours. I don't usual like food you could photograph but this was very well presented and extremely full of flavour. The portions appeared on the small side but in retrospect I was quite full and satisfied.
I was really impressed by the whole experience - its so nice albeit rare to find a restaurant that ticks every box and we shall certainly return, pretty frequently, I expect.