“Very Enjoyable holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in El Arenal
Iyrone, Ireland
“Very Enjoyable holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel from the 9th to 16th June and I found my stay very enjoyable. The hotel is a little dated as some other reviews has said but it was clean which and comfortable which is the important thing. The food was very good and there was always a good selection. I traveled with my husband and my parents and none of us ever went hungry. the resort itself is nice and peaceful and Arenal and Palma are not too far away on a bus or taxi so there is something for everyone. There is a local bus service with a stop right outside the hotel which will take you to arenal for 1.50 and also a tax rank where fares to Arenal are roughly 9 euro. The entertainment staff in the hotel were excellent. Every one of the team were very enthusiastic and spent alot of time getting to know the guests and getting them involved in activities without being too pushy. The kids at the hotel were also kept entertained all day. All the other staff in the hotel were very friendly also, and the drink at the bar was very good. So all in all for us we were looking for a relaxing holiday where we could have a bit of a laugh and we got that at Ola Club Maioris. I would certainly go back as the hotel had a great atmosphere about it and I would advise it for any families.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sarah_farrell
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

A nice hotel, located a short drive from the main resort of Ariel which meant we could avoid the stag and hen dos in the evening. We were a bit disappointed to find that the "coast" which was close to the hotel was not a beach although if you walk along the cliff paths you'll find some secluded spots for sunbathing. The free transfer to Ariel is easy to use, although we highly recommend the bay - Cala Pi - about 12 miles to the south if you can get there.

The hotel is very well located for access to cycle routes and we enjoyed some good days out. There are some old ruins not too far away, and we cycled to Cala Pi (10 miles in land, 12 miles on the coastal road).

There's a wide choice of food - including a number of seafood options. We're not seafood fans but still found we had enough options to have enjoyable meals. There are plenty of activities on the go in the hotel and it would have been great for kids.

The only real disappointment we had was with air conditioning. Apparently there's a bye-law which means that air conditioning in hotel rooms isn't allowed on until 15th June. My other half is 6 months pregnant and needs to keep cool at night and the hotel were unable to provide a fan.

We booked through last minute and the description is out of date. It lists hotel facilities as having a gym and sauna, both of which are no longer in service.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dave_Parsons
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Hotel is sold as a 4* but I'd definitely only rate it as 3*. It's clean and tidy but could definitely do with some modernising and perhaps some tlc here and there. We paid for all inclusive but when we checked in were advised all inclusive was actually 10.30am - 11pm. Anything outside of that you had to pay for.

We arrived at the hotel about 1am and so there was no where to get a drink or something to eat except basic vending machines - not an ideal start.

I'm a very fussy eater and only eat very basic plain food. They had lots of choice for those who like to experiment but wasn't a great deal of plain food which was disappointing. The bar and restaurant staff were friendly, pleasant and polite - if you spoke to them, they don't really make the effort otherwise - although having seen first hand some of the rudeness they have to contend with from guests I'm not at all surprised if they appear grumpy! The restaurant operates quite strange hours though - when on holiday we tend to eat our evening meal late but the restaurant opened 6.30pm - 8.50pm for evening meals. They do put a basic supply on in the bar when the restaurant is closed but this is very basic and not re-stocked very often, in fact one night it wasn't re-stocked at all and there was nothing there.

The rooms are basic but maid service is excellent. Beds are quite firm though! Air-conditioning didn't work and there was a problem with ants in our room.

We were further away from the beach than we expected but they do put on a free daily courtesy bus that you have to book a day in advance. The beach is at El Arenal and is beautiful but sadly the resort of El Arenal is awful - think Blackpool but much much chavier!

The animation team did a great job with the kids and are try to involve people in activities throughout the day by the pool but weren't pushy at all. The evening entertainment was a bit hit & miss though.

All in all it's an ok hotel & place to stay but we paid over the odds because of school holidays and felt really conned when the all inclusive was actually only part time and it definitely wasn't 4* standard.

2 Thank Rebecca W
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

We just wanted a week away for half term where the kids could play and we could get a bit of sun. Our daughter is eight and our son is five. After reading some reviews I was a little worried about what we would find but our worries were unfounded.

The room was fine, a little dated perhaps, but very clean and to be honest we spent very little time in there, only sleeping and getting showered after a day by the pool. We didn't put the tv on, so I honestly couldn't say what sort of selection there was here. I think we got lucky as we had a large balcony and most of the others seemed quite small, but again, we used it very little, so it wouldn't have mattered either way. The beds were quite hard and uncomfortable, but we could cope with this for a week.

The food was ok - typical fayre for all inclusive. Plenty to choose from and we never went hungry (in fact came home half a stone heavier - so it couldn't be that bad!) There were fizzy drinks and sparkling water pumps, as well as wine and beer where you could help yourself. There was also a small still water tap next to the beer pump, so you could just have water. At breakfast there was a selection of juices and tea and coffee. My children also enjoyed a hot chocolate with their breakfasts on a couple of occassions! As well as the three main meal times, from 10:30am there was a selection of snacks on offer by the bar, and you could get icecream if you asked behind the bar, and also in the restarant.

The drinks were plentiful, and the measures of spirits were huge! You could only get two drinks at a time (depending on who was serving!), but there was never a particularly big queue at the bar (even though it was half term) so this was never really a problem. I don't think the drinks were too strong as we never got particulary drunk, but then again, that was never really our aim.

The pool area was fine, always plenty of sunloungers and it was kept very clean. It never seemed too overcrowded and the kids had plenty of room to play.

It was the entertainment that really made the holiday though. The team work really hard, and our kids adored them. They went to the kids club every day (which gave us a break) and got involved in lots of activities. In an evening there was always something going on, the kids loved the mini disco, and then there was bingo (150 Euro prize!) followed by some sort of show later. We were never bored.

I would thoroughly reccommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced break in the sun where they can just relax and enjoy it. If you are looking for a luxury hotel with five star food and accommodation, then book somewhere else, but i think for the money, you won't find much better than this.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor have larger balconies if this is what you are after.
8 Thank Meelie30
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

We (myself, husband & 2 1/2 year old daughter) visited from the 28th of May - 4th June

Rooms:

Clean and basic, carpets and decor could do with an update. Bathroom is very nice and clean, looks quite new, shower was powerful. Small TV with one English channel (CNN). Beds are very lumpy and hard, I woke up with backache most mornings. Obviously very cheap/or old mattresses, I would believe the very first thing you need to get right in running a hotel is semi comfortable beds. The hotel only turn the rooms aircon on mid July which is annoying as some nights were stuffy, I would also assume one of the other things to get right is allowing the guest to control the temperature of their room.

Food was actually quite good, we have stayed in a few Spanish all-inclusive hotels and this was one of the best. Plenty to choose from and always replenished. One thing that was irritating is that they only had fizzy drinks and alcohol in the restaurant (not even still water available). Obviously not very good for small children and babies. Staff had a tendency to start packing away things early, my guess is to get out earlier. Surely that should be done when the stated meal times are over?

Pool area

There are 3 pools, one main one, one smaller quieter pool and one tiny kiddies pool. The pool area was clean and tidy, plenty of sun-loungers. I would suggest the hotel puts up a sign for guests without children to leave the surrounding loungers free. There really is plenty of loungers, I have no idea why people without kids on holiday would park up next to the kiddies pool, I would be at the other end.

Staff

The thing that makes this hotel is the staff, the entertainers (who seemed to be there all day) were always enthusiastic. The bar staff worked very hard and with a smile on their face. Reception were helpful, apart from the young girl who I avoided asking any questions. If she didn't understand you first of all, seemed unwilling at all. Twice the other receptionist interrupted her to help.

Had a bit of an issue with one of the room cleaners, I had slept in late with my daughter one morning, while my husband went to breakfast. I was getting dressed when I heard a knock on the door. I shouted 'no thank you', the cleaner continued to walk in speaking Spanish, so I jumped (half undressed) under the sheet and shouted 'no, gracias'. She then stood at the end of the bed speaking Spanish to me, I kept saying 'no, gracias, no thank you' with a bugger off face. Obviously I didn't understand her, she walked out and then walked back in AGAIN, continuing to speak to me in Spanish. I guessed she wanted to know when I was leaving the room and I said 1 hour very angrily, she left and I quickly rushed to put the sign on the door. Maybe I should have bolted it and put all of out suitcases behind the door also. Complete invasion of privacy, if I guest shouts NO several times, do not enter the room, sign on the door or not! if I am not out of the room in time for you to clean, then don't clean the room. Simples.

Area

Quiet area, but not as quiet as people are saying. If you turn right and right again you get to a shopping center that if you walk around it has about 10 bars and restaurants (not busy, but they are there) also several shops. If you turn left there is a Mercadona supermarket. If you walk up the road straight opposite the hotel, you walk towards a pretty cliff to look out towards the sea. if you are brave you can walk down the road to the bottom where there is a pretty rock cove area. There are 2 free buses in the morning to go to Arenal, but this resort is just a German version of Magaluf.

Bar

coffee and fizzy drinks are self service, there are also self service snacks available all day. I really do not think there is any alcohol in the alcohol (or very little) so don't plan on getting drunk. I think I had about 10 glasses of wine on a few nights and didn't even feel slightly tipsy. Bar closes at 11pm, but you can buy drinks until 1pm.

Entertainment

As I previously stated the entertainment staff were very good. They held games and water sports during the day. From 8.30 was the kiddies disco, my daughter loved it. Then we had bingo every night. Then from 10 was a different act each night. Snakes, parrot show, variety, dancers, karaoke, balancing etc. Some of it incredibly cheesy, but fun all the same.

All in all it was a good stay and for the value a lot of my complaints I could put up and shut up with. The only thing that would stop me going back is how uncomfortable the beds are, I can't compromise on that.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Hotel Marina Torrenova
Hotel Marina Torrenova
#16 of 39 in Palmanova
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,872 reviews

Been to OLA Hotel Maioris? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK