“One of the best paella places in a stunning place”

Restaurante Sodemar
Ranked #24 of 287 Restaurants in Roses
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2016

Sodemar is located in Roses marina. They serve seafood, fish and paellas. Everything is excellent. It's not a cheap place, but the quality is excellent. Mery and Bubu will make sure you have a lovely stay. And if you're lucky and you get an outdoor table, the experience is even better!

Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

I almost dont want to write this review to keep this place a secret, and I usually dont write reviews- but if your in roses Costa brava and you're craving seafood this is a must!
3 girlsfriend and I travelled here from Australia being from Aussie (which does great good seafood!) We are a little hard to please...we were blown away with the incredible flavors and seafood of all variety absolutely cooked to perfection! We all had the set menu (25 euro) for a 4 course meal, cannot fault any of it and the service was 10/10 even for us non Spanish speaking.
For a seafood fix in a beautiful restaurant within stunning surroundings you cannot ask for more!
Thank you Sodemar!! Highlight of our stay in roses!

Reviewed 27 April 2016 via mobile

We were recommended to try this one by a couple who have visited regularly over years. And boy, are we grateful! It is amazing for value, quantity and above all, for quality.

We had the lunch menu (fixed price of €14.90 yesterday) and it was so good we booked a birthday celebratory dinner tonight.

The lunch consisted of starters for me of 5 coquilles baked with aioli, my companion had calamari cooked with caramelized onions. Both were delicious and the portions generous. My mains was a whole monkfish (it arrived with head intact which might put off some diners! But I was undaunted) it was served with slices of potato, strips of pepper and some onions. My companion had a fish platter which was made up if a piece of cod, a piece of haddock, four sea snails and half a dozen (or maybe more) langoustines. Each was cooked to perfection and all had their own flavour which enhanced one another. For dessert, my companion opted for crema Catalan (luscious) while all I could manage was some fresh unadorned strawberries which were just at room temperature the better to bring out the flavour. Combined with gorgeous bread (all of which we devoured with pleasure) three glasses of Sauvignon Blanc and two decaffinated coffees all cost the princely sum of €42.00

Tonight's dinner was at the advice of the lovely co-owner who advised us to try the €35 menu which included wine. She was so sincere that we knew we could trust her and we followed willingly. We thought there was a choice of 3 starters but actually you have all three! Initially we had a very fine portion of calamares a la romana served with big wedges of lemon. The next started was a pile of langoustines just quick cooked to deliciousness in olive oil. Next came a dish of tender mussels in a white wine sauce. Although I'm not a huge mussel fan, I did dip my bread more than a few times in the gourmet sauce.

Next came the mains. My companion longed for some means ordered the entrecôte cooked beautifully pink and served with half a baked potato, a spear of asparagus and some pepper. I went for the house speciality - lobster served with a seafood rice. It was an absolute dream, the meat sweet and tender, the rice was a cross between a soupy risotto and a paella. It was absolutely scrumptious and for once, I couldn't even finish my portion. It broke my heart to leave a single grain but I had to be reasonable.

We took a long rest before I persuaded myself to finish with a scoop of lemon ice which I suspect was home made and got the balance of sweet and sharp just right. Meanwhile my companion had a coffee with brandy or perhaps I should say a brandy with coffee ;-)

All of this which included a full bottle of Rijoca and a glass of white, two bottles of fizzy water and two lots of bread and aioli cost €85. It was a lovely evening served by charming and efficient staff in a delightful setting. Honestly, we couldn't have asked for better.

If you're going to Roses, walk or drive past the town centre. Turn right just opposite the Hotel Univers. The Sodemar is the second restaurant on the pier as you walk. You will not regret the extra distance especially if you love good food! Take my word for it.

Reviewed 31 August 2015 via mobile

We chose the restaurant because of it's pretty position at the marina, away from the crowds in the main town.
The staff were very friendly and attentive.
I chose the monkfish tails because of the added vegetables, which I have been craving for, having been in France for 10 days. I was disappointed in the lack of them however. Double the amount may have just about been enough! I had one asparagus tip and a slice of courgette and a tomato. The monk fish was adequate and tasty. My partner had tapas, which was good. The scallops were very good.
I would give a better rating if I had had more vegetables!

Reviewed 21 July 2015

My wife and I have been here twice now. Situated on the quayside with the boats bobbing up and down gently, it’s a lovely setting. Both times we were greeted by friendly people. The owner’s wife is a gem. She speaks Catalan, Spanish,French and English. All the team are great and both times had a very enjoyable meal. This time, at their suggestion, we had a mixed selection of starters: Baby octopus on potato slices, baby squid, and a baby vegetable that is like a small pepper all cooked on the plancha. Very, very tasty. Then we had the catch of the day, a Dorade, cooked in salt. This allows the fish to cook without losing moisture. Very tatsy. We had a local white wine chosen by the owner and that too was very good indeed. This is a very popular restaurant with the locals as well so book first. Quite reasonably priced for such a good restaurant.