“Very nice Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 102 Hotels in Ayia Napa
London
“Very nice Hotel”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

A lovely hotel in Ayia napa that welcomes you to relax and enjoy the amazing weather of Cyprus! Definitely visiting Grecian Sands again as the food , rooms and value is excellent and the staff was very kind to us!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank Andy P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We have visited the Grecian Sands four times over the years and must admit it is beginning to look a bit 'tired' and old in comparison to some other nearby hotels.
Always found the staff to be very polite and helpful with one exception, the elderly reception manager!! At first his manner didn't bother us much, but each time we go to reception we always have to wait until he finishes his 'daily gossip' with other staff...so unprofessional!
Anyway, the hotel in general is fine. The breakfasts are always good, the cleaning staff are excellent, the atmosphere around the pool is fine with a mixture of families and couples.
However, this hotel used to be one of the best in this part of town, but recently other nearby hotels have 'refurbed' and are far more modern and comfortable.
Next time we'll go to either the Napa Mermaid or the Alion.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 100Andy
Colchester, essex
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Having travelled to Turkey and Egypt several times in recent years, I must have raised expectations of Hotel quality as I was somewhat underwhelmed here for the first day or so of my 2 week holiday. The general feel of the Hotel was somewhat ageing and dilapidated and where attempts at sprucing it up had been made it was limited to splashing a coat of paint here and there. The weeds growing in the room balcony planters were nearly a metre tall for goodness sake!!

However, after a few days it did grow on myself, my wife and elderly father and we had a very enjoyable holiday here (my daughter was married in this Hotel 6 years ago, and we stayed in the sister Grecian Bay hotel at the time which did reflect the extra star). Drinks prices seemed very steep initially (we have holidayed in Ayia Napa 10+ times, the latest being 2 years ago) until we discovered that this was a general price hike in the resort . . .everything seems to be about 4 Euros . . . . restaurant prices seem to be about the same as 2 years ago though.
Good Points:
The Hotel staff could not be faulted, which contributed greatly to our enjoyable experience and the great sea view from our room is why we came here.
The Pool service and pool layout was excellent.
Points to address:
A decent refurbishment of the entire hotel is well overdue and will cost them dear if not done soon (built in the 80's and looks it - I do believe the bath in our room is from the 70's!!)
Breakfast needs to be improved, very canteen like and of a 3* standard at best.
Sun beds were shocking . . . very grubby and virtually all of them sagged badly, with some touching the floor when laid on - pure lazyness as they are of the mesh type tensioned with cords and could easily have been tightened.

Our entire family love Cyprus and Ayia Napa in particular and although I seem to have more gripes than compliments about the hotel, the gripes are more like niggles really and we did totally enjoy our holiday here. It also has to be said that many people we met there return year after year so cannot be that bad, my concern is that many countries and resorts have have newer and high specification alternatives for a similar price point.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor rooms have a much larger balcony
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ARFColchester_essex
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I stayed here for a fortnight with my family as my brother got Married here. A very nice Hotel, with nice size rooms with bathroom, fresh towels, toiletries, and shower. Pool was very clean and poolside service was good, sun beds can get limited during the middle of the day. My brothers wedding was very nicely catered for I couldn't find fault with anything, they pulled out all the stops! Staff were very nice and always greeted you with a smile. Unfortunately I became unwell during my stay and had to spend a night in Hospital due to it being too hot at 46' f most days, I was moved to tears when the Hotel sent me flowers from the Manager and staff at the Grecian Sands Hotel. I would defiantly recommend you to get Married here, or just have a holiday but not in August too Hot!! Thanks to all the staff and manager I will try to come back sometime.

Room Tip: My room got the Sun in the morning on my balcony above the main entrance, but cooler in the middle o...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Matthew B
notts
Reviewed 19 October 2011

This is my first review but as I picked this hotel from the reviews it's only fair I contribute!
We are a family of 6 consisting of my new hubby his three children ages 13, 11, 10 and our little girl of 18 mths.
We had to book two rooms due to the size of our family and was told they didn't have interconnecting rooms so even though it was our wedding/honeymoon we we're split up although they did put us next door not the best but can't be helped we thought.
A few days later our best man and family arrived and informed us of the interconnecting room they had on our floor!!! Naughty Grecian sands!
Regards the rest of the hotel the corridors are a bit dated and the shining like, I know u don't stay in the corridors but the hotel cost us 4000k Bb so not cheap.
Luckily we got the white rooms you see advertised, their nice but we was facing the back road so not the best view even though as we we're having wedding there and was told we'd have upgraded room.
So if I was you I'd pay for sea view, my room stunk of BO and could not get rid of it the whole 10 days, hubby room fine though so bewear of room 438!
Pool- freeeeeeezing, nobody went in it much at all due to this, the sea much warmer by the way! Our big kids did brave it a bit but got told off alot by the we hate children brigade, they was at times so offencive I asked if the hotel was advertised as children free! apparently not but that didn't stop one man using his hand as a pretend gun and picking the children off one by one!!!
Baby pool quite deep not overly looked after, kids park was shocking its a good job it's hidden away really.
Food was ok the norm for bb in Europe, only had some lunch there once as you have probably already read the prices are shocking!
I knew it was expensive drinks wise but it 3.60 euros for a sprite, so quite a killer with 4 kids.
Wedding part- Suzanne wanted to meet the day after arrival, lovely lady but in the nicest way I felt as we wasn't a massive wedding and throwing money at things she just kinda went through the motions with me, I wasn't shown venues just photos and she filled out the detailed wedding form even though I'd not made my mind up on alot of things, I was told it was no worries she would just change it later, the problem with that was she wasn't around so I called her a few days later to tell her what I decided on. We decided to have the indoor room as I could be a bit chilly at night and although she wanted me to have my meal at 7pm it was pitch black by then so we wouldn't see the lovely views so I requested 6 pm sitting which was granted, along with me going back to my idea of having chairs dressed again.
Cut to the wedding day, my hubby said there must be another wedding as they are decorating the outside venue, turns out the hotel was following the original form Suzanne had filled out not the finalised one of what I actually wanted, Suzanne wasn't around so I had to ring again and to be fair to her she told me not to worry she would sort everything out.
I shall try and keep it short- stetting is beautiful, chair bows colour was wrong and they abandoneddoing the outside and left uncovered tables which looked like decorating tables so sadly these are on my wedding photos, they lost my seating plan and name places so I got pulled away from my wedding to sit in an office redoing all of that for a good half an hour. We cut our cake and never saw it aging although we asked for it to be taken to our room, and the saddest part for me was that we didn't get to our reception room till 7 even though I kept asking to be seated from 6pm but yet again they was following Suzanne original plan! They just kept saying 10 min, so when we got in it was dark with these huge mirrors reflecting pitch blackness into the room which made it a bit creepy really.
Ending on a positive the wedding staff that served us was lovely and the food was nice.
So if you having your wedding there try not to worry I could see if on form they knew what they were doing I just think I was too laid back and not pushy enough, so be a bridzilla and check check check details and fine points to make sure everyone's on the same page!
So in the short, rooms ok, not for kids, weddings ok alot of glitches for us though, hotel defiantly not worth the money.
I think the hotels in ayia napa are at such a standed now the grecian sands needs to pull their socks up a fair bit to compete.
Sorry it was so long guys I hope this info helps.

• Stayed September 2011