“Mooloolaba Backpackers - Best on Sunshine Coast!”

Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I've been staying at Mooloolaba Backpackers for almost 2 weeks now. It is the only hostel in Mooloolaba, and is located about 5 minutes walk from the beach. Now you would think that because they're the only hostel here, they might drop the ball a bit and not bother to organize events or try very hard. Not at all. Every night there is something on. Sometimes it's food related (last night they had wood-fired pizzas for only $2), sometimes it's alcohol-related (Thursday night is goon-pong night (goon is wine)) and sometimes there are excursions and activities. But the best thing is that there is no obligation to do any of these. If you just want to chill out then you can do that too.

The hostel has all usual hostel things (pool table, Internet, laundry etc) but also a couple of things I haven't seen in many other hostels (swimming pool, table-tennis table, free hire of surfboards and paddle boards). The do free breakfast every morning which has been very useful for me, and there is a tour desk if you are needing to book trips or plan onward travel.

I am staying in an ensuite dorm room, which is a little more expensive than a standard dorm, but worth it in my opinion. The whole hostel is cleaned thoroughly every day, and the staff and friendly and helpful.

I'd reccomend this hostel to anyone considering a trip to the Sunshine Coast. Mooloolaba is a great base from which to explore.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 September 2010

I stayed here for three weeks at the start of August. I was initially only suppose to stay for a couple of days but I fell in love with the backpackers and the vibe from the guests and staff. There's never a dull moment in Mooloolaba. I was constantly kept occupied by the many organised activities and water sports available litrally on the door step.

Each day is different. Everyday there is free stand up paddle board lessons which is amazing. You also get to use the kayaks, surf boards, body boards and bicycles from the hostel. Means theres never a time where you can say "there's nothing to do" which I have used in some hostels along the east coast. The beach is only 5mins walk from the hostel, the beach is so gorgeous. Mooloolaba gets great weather most of the year round so happy days for people like me who loves getting a tan.

The discounted meal option is great, different each night of the week which includes all you can eat Pizza for $4 on a wednesday (kept me filled for nearly 2days), Free Aussie BBQ on Saturdays. I got to try Kangaroo and Crocadile which was one item on my list of things I wanted to do in australia. Loads more. No meal on Thursdays, thats goon pong night. Had such great nights on thursdays in the hostel because of this game, I was really bad at it but still did it everytime for the laugh. Miss them sessions.

Staff are really friendly here and rooms are spic and span. Made great friends in Mooloolaba which I know I will make sure to meet again. Miss you guys.x x

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shamroxi
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Location:
Mooloolaba is a small town located on the Sunshine Coast, about 100km north of Brisbane. The hostel is located on the main street, just a few minutes walk from the beach.

Buses and trains all stop at nearby Maroochydore, which is also where the Sunshine Coast airport is located (domestic flights only). The hostel operates a free courtesy bus from the bus station.
I had hired a car from Brisbane for the weekend (about an hour's drive). The hostel provides free parking, although space is limited.

Rooms:
4-bed or double rooms are available. They are around $30 for a dorm bed or $70 for a double room, although if you plan to stay longer there is a weekly rate available ($168/$420 as of writing). The rooms are fairly decent, pretty much your standard hostel dorms.

Facilities:
There are bathrooms on every floor. With this hostel being close to the beach, they can get a bit sandy, but are cleaned regularly so this isn't a major problem. Some rooms have en suites.

Kayaks can be borrowed and taken to the creek, which is only a few minutes walk away. This was a really fun part of stay, although there were three of us and only two people could fit in, so we had to take turns. They also hire surfboards and bikes for free.

There is a fairly decent sized swimming pool. I didn't actually use this, as I was at the beach most of the time. Kitchen, laundry and internet facilities are also available.

They have a tour desk that specialises in Fraser Island tours, although I didn't use this as I was only there for one night. Other possible places to visit in the Sunshine Coast area are Australia Zoo, Eumundi Markets, Underwater World and the Glasshouse Mountains.

Overall recommendation:
I really liked the chilled-out vibe of the hostel. I was only in Mooloolaba for one night, as a weekend away from working in Brisbane, and the hostel definitely had a relaxed holiday feel to it. In the evening, we joined a bunch of people on the balcony for some cards and everyone was really friendly. Of course, you could be really unlucky and be surrounded by a load of [insert word for horrible people here], but I think most people come to stay at this hostel to make friends and have fun.
They close the public areas at night (around 10), but the beach is very close so most people tend to head over there.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2010

My wife and I were running a bit tight on funds after many months of traveling and stumbled upon this place driving into Mooloolaba south from Fraser Island. We arrived at 2AM and the security guard was nice enough to check us into a private double room (we had to get a key the next morning) and advise us where we could park (for free) as the onsite parking lot was full. Tip--if the parking lot is full, just park across the street by the apartments and walk over to the hostel.

The room itself was very spartan, but what can you expect for $50 a night (it might have been cheaper)? The room reminded me of a college dorm room (bare concrete walls, really old television, etc.). The bed was fairly worn and sagging to the floor. The communal kitchen appeared fairly clean...we even cooked breakfast one morning.

The atmosphere of the hostel seemed nice. Many people conversing, drinking, hanging out by the pool, etc. If you are looking for friends/travel partners, there seemed to be many people hanging about here from all over the world. Everyone was very friendly to us even though we did not partake in the communal bbq's or nightly drinking games :)

The staff was very GREAT! They helped us with directions to cheap eats around town, directions to the Steve Irwin Zoo, etc. Very nice staff!

If you can put up with the basic rooms (VERY basic), then this place is a great value! We walked everywhere in town (about 10 minutes from the center). Would reccomend to backpackers/single travelers. Would not reccomend to couples looking for a romantic room with a beach view...haha. Its a budget place...you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Very clean Hostel with modern facilities, friendly staff and free internet. Staff dont seem to do much but apart from that i cannot say anything negative about this place.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mooloolaba
13.3 km away
32.5 km away
Noosa Backpackers Resort
Noosa Backpackers Resort
#34 of 41 in Noosaville

Been to Mooloolaba Beach Backpackers? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK