All reviewshogs breathacross the roadcoffee machinepool barcoffee clubbedroom ocean apartmentpools are greatheated lap poolbulcock beachspa bathsunshine coasttext messageocean viewking bedrestaurants and cafesperfect locationeach morning
Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

Upon arriving on Sunday, we were met by lovely staff, we walked through the very nice bar which had lots of people eating and drinking, and past the big pool and spa which had people happily relaxing in it. We entered our lovely apartment (could’ve been a little cleaner - there were bits on the kitchen counter) and checked out the gorgeous view of the beach. All was so wonderful!!!

Come Sunday night, as we attempted to go to sleep there was non-stop hammering. Until 1am!!!!!! We discovered on Monday that Hogs Breath are renovating and the noise was thanks to them and our room was directly above. Anyway not the hotel’s fault. A few days prior to arriving we were alerted that the lap pool in the resort was closed for maintenance. I wish they had been honest and said: closed for maintenance, there will be jack hammering non-stop during the day 8-4pm. Which means our other heated pool and spa will be open but unusable because of JACKHAMMERING.
We 100% would’ve canceled our booking had we known this. And guess what? Our room was directly above the pool. What on earth they were thinking booking a room above the pool is beyond us plus we have a toddler who sleeps at midday. Needless to say come Monday morning we were NOT HAPPY and asked to be moved as #1 we couldn’t put our son to bed and #2 as if we were going to ‘relax’ in our room to the melody of jackhammers while our son slept.

Staff were kind and apologetic and moved us immediately. You could still hear the jack hammering but definitely not as bad. Nonetheless it was a painful waste of time having to move rooms. This apartment was cleaner, bigger, the view was nicer so that was all good.

We understand that maintenance needs to be done, but thanks to the 8am-4pm jackhammering we couldn’t enjoy the bar area, the pool or spa. We did actually go in the spa on Wednesday afternoon (our last day) around 4pm as the jackhammers finally stopped a bit earlier, it was great until I got a tiny bit of glass in my heel from in the spa and had to pull it out! Amazing! We were surprised to read this is considered a 5 star resort, it certainly didn’t feel that way. And we really feel as though we basically overpaid for a two bedroom apartment in a resort where we couldn’t actually enjoy the facilities that we were excited to use. So overall feeling quite disappointed. The lovely vibe at the bar that we saw upon arrival was absent all week, not sure if it’s standard to rope off the bar area but it was basically off limits with orange flags so not sure if there even was lunch available? Assume not. We saw an ad for tapas from Wednesday but Husband went to get a beer at 5:15pm on Wednesday and the bar was closed! Weird.

Some positives:
Big apartments with lovely views
Kitchens are kitted out well
Washer and dryer in apartment
Good shops are a walk away
Gorgeous beach with dolphins, it was so peaceful at sunrise and sunset. Lovely watching so many people enjoying themselves at the beach.
Great playgrounds
Australia Zoo is incredible
The gelato shop under the hotel was amazing!

Some negatives:
It would be good for housekeeping to replenish dishwasher powder daily, after day two we had to run the dishwasher without any (didn’t have a chance to ask for more)

On day three we put our son to bed at 12:30pm, so had to put ‘do not disturb’ on our door as housekeeping hadn’t come yet. Then we found a note at the door saying ‘sorry we missed you during the 9am-12pm housekeeping hours...’ so we had to take our rubbish out down in the garage. Just a bit annoying they didn’t come during the designated time.

Ocean view apartments are lovely except one issue - if you’re a light sleeper be warned there are loud, drunk people late at night across the road. I had to sleep with ear plugs 3 out of the 4 nights as I was woken up.

In summary, obviously we wouldn’t stay here again. I’m sure we would feel differently if the whole jackhammering issue hadn’t ruined our experience. But as previously mentioned, we would’ve canceled had we had more transparency on the issue. We will definitely come back to the Sunshine Coast, but probably book an Airbnb apartment instead.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa P
Leslie W, Business Development Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2018

Dear Lisa P,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. As of August 1, my team and I have taken over the management here at Rumba Beach Resort. Unfortunately, we did not have control over communication with booked in guests regarding the pool renovation prior to our commencement. I completely understand your frustration and feelings about your stay and would like to ask you to contact me directly so that I may have the opportunity to make it up to you and your family. Again, I appreciate your review and I am disappointed that you did not receive the great Rumba experience that so many of our guests have enjoyed. I am taking all of your feedback on board and look forward to hearing from you at lwilson@rumbaresort.com.au.
Kind Regards, Leslie

Reviewed 14 July 2018

Had 3 night stay at Rumba, unit had amazing views, right on the front overlooking the beach. Apartment was clean and well maintain. Spa and one swimming pool were heated, only they need to be a little warm still quite cool for this time of the year. Overall had a great time

Room Tip: 3 bedroom 418
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
William D, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Dear Sheree H, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We have had a rare cold snap so next time, I should definitely be warmer. Cheers, Bill.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

On our previous visit we had cockroaches in our apartment, not just the occasional one, but many. Feedback was given, but no response back was received.
This time we had ants all through our two bedroom apartment.
Upon checking out I mentioned it to the receptionist, my comments were just shrugged off, the response I received was "it happens because we are so close to the beach and being summer doesn't help".
I have stayed at the Aspect, Rolling Surf, just to mention a few and have never had any concerns with either ants or cockroaches.
Also, being late June early July, is not really "summer"
I'm also from Brisbane and understand the issues we have with roaches and ants, but in my "clean" house and numerous other places I have stayed in Caloundra, there has not been a problem.
The price you pay for this 5 star resort, you would think receiving feedback from a guest is something your resort would value, but then again, if you are checking out, you already have my money.......

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmck32
William D, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

Dear jmck32, thank you for your comments. As you know, I began investigating this complaint immediately upon being notified. We almost never have an issue with cockroaches. We maintain a strict annual schedule of inspect control and almost never receive negative feedback in this regard from our guests. Ants may occasionally come and go with the rain, as we all know. We were unable to find any evidence of cockroaches in your apartment. We do however know that cockies can sometimes fly in, but will die quickly. We apologise once again, but please be assured, we always do our best.

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We stayed in room 210 which was advertised as partial ocean views. There was no ocean view whatsoever, just the back of other people's units.So I if we sat on the balcony we had a view of the back entrance of the unit block with people entering their rooms with their luggage. Great view! To make it worst, we had to keep our balcony door shut to get away from the constant cigarette smoke. For a $300 room we could have been in any crappy location. The whole room stunk of a filthy drain smell and was worst the next day. We could hear the people on the floor above stomping around and the elevator going up and down from early morning. It was the first time we had a late checkout but it was the earliest we have checked out of a hotel. We will never stay there again. Very disappointed. Complete waste of money.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peggy P
William D, General Manager at Rumba Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2018

Dear Peggy P, we too are very disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay. Our Resort Spa Suites offer either a partial ocean view or pool view, or both. The smoking sounds dreadful. We have no record of any complaints lodged about this recently, nor the drainage issues. We can assure you that our on-site team would have been right on to both!! Whilst we always strive for a first-class guest experience every time, very rarely, things don't work out. Please feel free to make contact with us, we will try and make it up to you. Best regards, Bill.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

Very central position and right in the heart of shopping and restaurants. Just walk down the steps and you have many restaurants to choose from and the beach is just about 30 metres across the road. Great pool with a see through glass out onto the main street. Different rooms at different prices and if you want a top of the range room they it will cost more.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear travelguy1944, we really appreciate the great review. Much appreciated, Bill.