“Around the world in 8 dishes”
Review of 8Things

8Things
Ranked #34 of 91 Restaurants in Katoomba
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 14
Description: 8things is serving street food from around the world. We focus on offering quality, fast and affordable food in a modern and clean setting. 8things is a BYO 20 seater which serves its entire menu as a take away option.
Reviewed 26 July 2017

This little eatery is a huge boon for Katoomba diners. It focuses on only eight dishes at a time, each based around the street food of a particular locale: e.g., moules marinieres, Japanese fried chicken, nasi goreng and and honorary Katoomba healthy vegetarian special. Good local cider etc covers drinking needs. Only stools, so good for a quick meal where food quality is the priority. The tofu chips with mayo and sambal are addictive!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for 8Things

Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Shared 2 meals. Some great choices. Friendly staff. Quality and interesting food at reasonable prices. I'll be back to try something else next time m in the area.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Great spot for a quick lunch if you can get a table. They don't do cold drinks, apart from what's in the fridge and only have a hot, Malaysian tea made on condensed milk and a jasmine tea, neither of which were particularly good.

However, the food is incredibly well executed. The karaage chicken was deliciously moist and tender inside its crisp, deep-fried exterior. It came with a splodge of Japanese mayonnaise with black sesame seeds and a refreshing shredded red cabbage and cucumber salad. The Casablanca hot dog was a merguez sausage in a long, soft bun with some couscous studded with fresh herbs and a few pomegranate arils. Delicious! We also shared a side of silken tofu chips. Pretty yummy, with a mayonnaise, chilli sauce (not sweet) and a wedge of lime.

Will visit again!

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

Outstanding lunch! Excellent flavors and fresh ingredients ... 8 choices on the menu (hence the clever name). We had 3 and they were all wonderful ...

1  Thank Pete-and-Heidi
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Now first off I should say that if you are not coeliac or highly intolerant to gluten then this is a great new addition to the mountains' dining scene. However, I am coeliac and I have dined here 3 times now. I am not sure what is going on but I suspect there is cross-contamination. I have to trust the people who tell me something is gluten free otherwise I'd never eat out but sadly my experience tells me the food here is not gluten free. Last time I dined here, I made sure I'd had nothing else to eat and even had the same dish, Penang Nasi Goreng, because I really didn't want to believe there was gluten in the meal. I had a typical gluten reaction within hours and was in bed for 24 hours, a week later I'm still recovering. So I can't recommend this eatery for those who are highly sensitive to gluten like myself but for anyone else, it is a great place to eat.
There are eight ( as the name suggests) regular dishes that take their inspiration from street food from different countries plus a couple of specials. My son had the mussels and said they were excellent and very fresh.
I would rate the restaurant more highly if I was not a coeliac with a serious gluten reaction.

8Things, Owner at 8Things, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Dear Carol,
I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience but You asked us what you could eat that was gluten free and we said to you the first time that the Nasi goreng had kecap manis which is a sweet soy having traces of gluten and we could leave it out for you which we did. Please make sure to mention your allergies every time you come in so we can take care of you. Hope to see you back very soon