“What you expect for a backpackers”

Airlie Waterfront Motel & Budget Accommodation
Reviewed 16 November 2011

If you're staying at a backpackers and spending minimal money a night, you should just expect nothing special. Great location, nothin special about the rest of it...crowded rooms, resort town...nuff said. It's no Hilton so if you expect that, don't be so cheap.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Ferrari913

Reviewed 21 September 2011

This place is in an awesome location, right in the centre of things, close to the bus stop and accross the road from the beach, It also had a car park for me to park - fantastic, The staff were great and friendly too.

It has the worst beds in the world though. I don't know how they could be so bad. The matresses are so thin, that you can feel all the slat in the bed. I ended up taking my matress off the bed and sleeping on the floor, but it meant there was not much room in the twin room!

The twin room we had was in a shopping centre, and there's no security to stop anyone coming back to the rooms. All there is is the lock on the door. We had no problems though.
Also you have to pay a deposit to get any plates etc. Which is fine if you're staying long term, but we only stayed 2 nights, and were eating out most of the time, all we would have wanted was a mug for a cup of tea. It was a pain.

Anyway, not too bad, but not much atmosphere as it's all seperated and no real communal area.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank p0mmy
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I had booked into the Airlie Beack Backpackers for the 17th July. I arrived at the hosel from the overnight bus, I got to the reception at 7:30 ish. (Must mention that most other hostels in the town had reps at the bus stop but nobody from this hostel) The receptionist didnt even lift her head to acknowlegde my arrival. She had NO personality and went through the check in swiftly. She then said "hostel is 2 floors up and if you need anything for the kitchen come to recception for it" I then said " Thats very unusual, I never heard of needing to get coking utensils from a reception before!" and she replied in the rudest manner "Well, if backpackers like YOU didnt keep stealing from us we wouldn;''t have to do it" I then said to her calmly " There's no need to be so rude to me" and she said "well there's no need for You to be so rude to me"!!" I then thought about it and decided I couldnt stay here with such a rude ignorant person so I asked for a refund. She said she would gladly give me a refund, I sorted the refund out and as I walked out I asked for her name to include it in this review and she just looked right through me and refused to answer. I told her not to worry that her boss and future guests would read this and know who she was.... A blond haired girl with her hair a little above the shoulder, late 20's Id say, working the 7am shift on the morning of 19th July.
I then walked up the road, walked into another hostel called Beaches where I was greeted by two receptionists all chirpy and friendly, what a warm welcome!! I told thenm what had happened and they were shocked, they then brought me in for a free breakfast, could not have been nicer to me.... It was also $10 a night cheaper than the Waterfront!!
This Waterfront hostel is probably the most expensive in town!!
I have travelled all over the world every summer for the last 10 years and always stayed in hostels. I was in Australia for a month and in all my travels through Oz and around the world I have NEVER met a ruder person, she should not work in the service industry if she cannot be civil to people. I would definitely NOt recoommend this hostel!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Yvonne028
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed here mid-April 2011 for two nights before a boat trip, and two after. It cost $60 for a private double en-suite, with tv, air con, fan and parking in underground lot.

The location of the hostel is good, right on the beachfront. Only a few minutes walk from the main bars - Magnums, Beaches etc but far enough away to be away from the drunkenness late at night. Has plenty of food places near, including fish & chips!

The room was a good size, and seemed to be in a complex above some restaurants/take aways. The shared kitchen was on the top floor, we didn't use it much - but you had to buy cutlery from reception (pretty annoying when you've started making something and three floors up!). There was a balcony in the kitchen area.

On the first night unfortunately, there was a fire alarm, due to a fire in one of the food places downstairs - the staff were very good at clearing everybody out quickly.
Then on the second night, we were awoken by the cleaners, in a couple of nearby rooms, cleaning at midnight!! We had to tell them to be quiet! Then the food places downstairs started opening up, cleaning whatever, very early!!

We left our bags in the hostel store whilst we away for 3 days on a trip (small cost per bag) & had no problems.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights before heading off on our sailing trip around the Whitsundays.

Very basic accommodation - we had booked a double with shared bathroom facilities - the only piece of furniture in the room was the bed and an electric fan and no window to fresh air. We shared the bathroom with 4 other rooms that were either doubles or twins and so we felt we were sharing with like-minded people.

The hostel is in the same building as the food court/mall, however we didn't have any issues with noise - what other guests have experienced and commented on may just be unfortunate during their stay or we could have been very lucky!
We also felt quite safe having to pass through several locked doors to get into our room.

It is true you get what you pay for, and I personally would not have booked into a dorm after reading reviews on here but not a bad choice of hostel if just for a couple of nights and you pay a little extra.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple