“BED BUGS” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Magnums Backpackers

Magnums Backpackers
“BED BUGS”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

I wasn't expected much since we were only paying 19$ a night, but I had expected better cleanliness without bed bugs!! I was bitten all over my body and have spent over $100 on medication to try and treat the bites and well over that on fumigating my room at home to make sure I didn't bring any back with me!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU ARE DESPERATE!!! It is worth te extra money to avoid the bites!!!

• Stayed December 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns in relation to your recent experience.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Magnums follows a strict code of conduct that complies with local and state legislation in relation to Bedbugs, Oh what a curse they are, it is always disappointing to hear that we have had bed bugs introduced to our hostel from the many travellers that stay with us, you can be absolutely assured that as soon as an incident is brought to our attention that a swift action plan is set in motion by trained personnel to minimise the potential of discomfort to guests.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

We stayed at Magnums for 4 nights, but never witnessed the dorms so i can only comment on the area. We paid Magnums to park our campervan in the side area and it was great for the tiny price we paid. The location of Magnums is really good and is located right on the main strip in airlie beach. Its a good place to start a night out as they have a big bar and then you can head into the town.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jayda L
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

When i first arrived I thought this place looked great and was lots of fun. Cool bar and club and in a good location. We were staying in a room of 10 all of us were friends so we all knew each other and had only come straight from home so hadnt been travelling anywhere gross.

within a day i had developed bites on my body that we all thought were mosquitos. By the end of the trip I was covered and on my way home they soon spread to my feet, legs, stomach, arms and neck. I was bitten so badly that I had an allergic reaction which caused severe swelling and itching that I couldnt sleep. My entire body was almost covered. About 5 other girls in the same room as me got the same.The only ones who didnt were those who took sleeping bags. We even had a clean sheet down but when we arrived there were already sheets on the bed so it makes me question how clean they were. When we got home everyone in my room found bed bugs in their bags and clothes. I think that their beds were so unhygienic that bed bugs were present and they somehow got into our clothes that attacked us. I have spent over 50 dollars on medication and after a week they are still present all over my body. When I called the backpackers to inform them of it they were rude and blamed it on us for travelling somewhere and bringing them in. I have stayed at over 25 different backpackers more run down than this and never experienced bed bugsbefore. We are clean people and had no dramas until we entered that room. Would never go back.

Room Tip: bring their own sleeping bags and bedding!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Airlie Beach hotels

Gold Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

Hi there I am an Aussie travelling in Oz and witnessed something I have never seen in 25 years of travelling our great southern land....My initial joy of arriving at Airlie was erased once it was time for bed, Fair enough the rooms are grimey and very basic but when I rolled back my sheets to climb into bed I was horrified to see very dirty sheets including unknown bodily fluids and blood. I was so put off and also desperate to get some rest, so I stripped the bed back to the mattress and laid out my towel on the mattress and used a t-shirt as a pillow case, this worked and I got some sleep. When I told the staff at the front counter they were dismissive, rude and clearly did not care. I asked for a different room in the hope I could have clean sheets but alas, after negotiating with a nasty late teenaged girl I got a new room but this room was equally as bad. Magnums must be avoided and reported to the local authorites because there are clearly no health regulations being followed by Magnums.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Magnums A, Guest Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, 18 January 2012
Thank you Anthony for taking the time to share your concerns in relation to your recent experience.
Your concern regarding our dirty sheets is extremely surprising to us, both HK and maintenance departments have been alerted of your concerns. Magnums is a well established and operated venue, we would Never take shortcuts in the provision of goods and services.
May I suggest that in this instance you should have requested to see Management immediately, our management team are passionate about ‘getting things right’
Sandbach, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2011

a bit tired but clean accomodation. There are "rules" posted about the place telling people to keep the noise down and banning alcohol in the residential areas, but these are ignored almost universally so we did have a bit of a party going on outside our room until the early hours on our first night. So ear-plugs to the rescue and no worries.
This place is cheap, but standards are good. My only real complaint was that the "breakfast kitchen" (there is only one kitchen, but they call it the breakfast kitchen) is shut between 8 and 9:00 am for cleaning ... surely this is the peak breakfast period! We had to wait for it to open on our last morning thus delaying our check-out. The timing it seems suits the cleaner's routines but is in complete disregard to customer needs.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Magnums A, Public Relations Manager at Magnums Backpackers, responded to this review, 23 January 2012

We are happy to advise that there is a new kitchen and recreation room coming soon!

Your comments regarding our cleaning of the kitchen times – all fixed!
We have taken your review on board and agree we should not be cleaning at peak demand times. We have spoken with our housekeeping staff and we have now addressed this problem.