“worst hostel ever!”

Ranked #12 of 13 Airlie Beach B&B and Inns
Ludwigshafen, Germany
“worst hostel ever!”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

cockroaches cralling out of the shower (not just a few, but heaps of them), wet beds and sheets, one single light bulb that was actually working, police crackdown at the neighbour dorm, all this made our staya nightmare! (the last and cheapest place when we got to airlie at night)
Why is the company so careless with this spot! Get some backpackers to build an awesome place up there. You've got the property! So sad "Koala" ruins this place!

The only positive thing were the helpful girls at the front desk, after Koala cancelled our catamaran trip without telling us! Worst company I've ever heard of and sadly enough got in contact with.

AVOID KOALA!! =(

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nici136
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Families
Business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2011

My partner and I returned from our Whitsundays trip, sun burnt and absolutely soaked after a long walk in torrential rain from the harbour. Having pre-booked Koalas, we arrived at the reception with all our luggage in tow at about 12 noon. We immediately noticed the whole hostel was like a ghost town and the staff had no work to occupy them. After ten minutes of calling for assistance, a short, dumpy, dark haired girl aged about 18 reluctantly came over and said ‘check in is at 2pm’. My girlfriend’s eye had swollen up with sunburn and she was feeling unwell as well as being soaked through to the bone. I politely explained the situation and asked if there was any chance of checking in early. Seeing as the hostel was empty, from past experience hostels often allow early check in if rooms are available out of good will. She rolled her eyes and grunted ‘check in is at 2’. For my girlfriend’s sake I tried one more time and pleaded for any earlier than 2. She leant over the counter and aggressively shouted ‘CHECK IN IS AT 2’. Furious with her attitude I asked her to cancel our booking. She abruptly snarled ‘Whatever, I’ll charge you for staying anyway, because we have your card details from your booking.’ Livid we reluctantly returned to Koala’s at 2 due to the fact we couldn’t afford to pay for somewhere else to stay. When we went back at 2, we waited ages to be served and were then told to go outside and go in the next room to check in, even though it was just one reception counter and nobody else was there! As soon as we walked into our dorm the horrendous smell of urine and faeces hit us. Needless to say it was absolutely disgusting. We counted 8 cockroaches in the shower alone. The beds were crawling with lice and had no bedding on. I went back to reception asking for bedding, only to be told we had to pay for bedsheets and there wasn’t any available so come back later. I went back later and was told they couldn’t get me any because they couldn’t leave reception. We were then given a free drinks voucher for the bar next to the hostel, only to find this had been shut down! I woke up in the night, with a cockroach on my face and itching all over. The next morning we found red itchy swellings all over us. Overall it was the most horrific experience of our 6 months travelling, with the worst part actually being the customer service. The disorganised, disinterested young staff here treat you as a nuisance - when you so much as approach the reception desk and the cleanliness is non existent. Please do not stay here, they don’t deserve your money. If you have to pay a few extra dollars for somewhere else please do, stay anywhere but here!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank TomSmith24

Travellers are raving about these Airlie Beach hotels

Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Stayed in November 2009 actually. The place is a dump. I can't even believe they offer services. It is a joke. I was told I was staying during the busiest time of the year; an end of the school year party time for AUS kids. Yet, there were no extended hours of operation in the office and no extra staffing to maintain the place.
I was in a dorm room that had an extra girl in it because the reservations for this group of girls were messed up and no one was available to help them resolve it. Plus, I reserved a girl's dorm and paid the difference for it, and there was a guy in the room. There was trash all over the grounds, empty bottles of alcohol, the room was dirty with hair balls and dirt on the floor, the screens were coming off the windows and bugs were getting in, the kitchen faucet dripped water constantly, there were brown drips of something on the walls in the bathroom, the bedding had washing powder on it, air conditioner didn't work . . .I could keep on.
I had reserved three nights and paid for three nights, but decided to leave. I went to the office when it opened and the manager, Ben, was not working the weekend?! (The busiest time of the year?!) I asked the front desk person to call Ben and she said she would be "sacked" if she called Ben. I asked for a refund and the front desk person told me Ben was the only person who could approve it. I filled out their form, left my email to contact me and NEVER heard from Ben the manager.
I would never stay at any Koala location or affiliated entity. There was absolutely no professionalism or care or quality in this facility. It was ridiculous.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank cleannofrills
England
Reviewed 24 March 2010

The rooms have bed bugs & dirty bathrooms. The staff were not so helpful when it came to tours, the boat I went on there was just as bad.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank crazy1980
vancouver
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I'll make this review short and to the point. This Hostel is DIRTY. I wouldnt stay here if your planning your trip to Airlie Beach. ( I would try Beaches. its quite clean)
The whole city is known to have an infestation of bedbugs, but i can say that i got them from staying at this hostel. I went to one of the Chemists and asked them about the bites I had on my legs and one arm (weird i know) and they told me the bites come up after 2-3 days of being bitten.. I stayed at this "resort" for 4 days.... new bites came up for 4 days in a row and then started to disappear. You can do the math.
There were cocroahes in the shower, and crawling on the floor at night.. i even saw them on one of my room mates beds.. it was a top bunk.
Tho the whole stay at Koalas was dirty and disgusting , but it didnt ruin my time at Airlie Beach. Its a great city with great people. So basically, my point being...you get what you pay for..

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends