“If you want relaxation this hotel is the place to stay”

Grand Mercure Rockford Esplanade Palm Cove
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Palm Cove
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Western Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Stayed at the Grand Mercure for 5 nights, and found it to be a very strange place. We had travelled from Perth via Ayres Rock and it had been a very long day by the time we arrived to check-in. We then found no one at reception and a note saying "back in 10 minutes" then struggled to find a washroom and toilets while we waited to check-in.
On completion of check in we were given a map and directions to the car-park and our apartment and told "just park anywhere as it's impossible for me to enforce parking."
After arriving at our apartment we noted that the air-conditioners were not working and the rooms steamy hot, I rang reception to advise them and his response was that they would not get someone to fix them until the morning, I explained it was too hot to sleep in these conditions and asked to be moved to another apartment and when that was not possible, I advised that unless something was done we would have no option other than to find alternative accommodation, I was informed by the male night receptionist that I was being "unreasonable" I had booked and paid for air-conditioned accommodaton and did not think it was unreasonbable to get what I had paid for. Was not an option to open doors and windows as there were no insect screens whatsover.
I rang Accor Advantages plus, who we booked through, and lodged a complaint (they were next to useless but that will be discussed when my membership is next due due ) In the meantime reception rang my husband and apologised and said he would comp us a bottle of wine the next morning. My husband managed to get the air-conditioner working in some fashion though it was not a good nights sleep at all, room still warm and stuffy.
The next morning I noted a sign about insects being a problem and again thought insect screens would have helped prevent this problem. I also noted a sign about false alarms and call outs of the fire brigade, apparently caused by shower steam, clothes dryer, toaster and cooking !!!! The sign also advised that guests would be charged almost $1500 call out fee in the event of a false alarm. The sign requested that doors be left open to prevent these false alarms (Hello - no insect screens !!!) Also there were no exhaust fans in bathrooms and laundry to prevent steam build up so a bit stupid complaining about these issues of false alarms with no means of prevention !! I specialise in emegency managment and suggest that this hotel needs to put some preventative engineering controls into place rather than relying on guests as a last resort.
During our stay we did not cook as did not want to face a confrontation over the "fine" which I am sure is illegal and which I certainly would not have paid. The air-conditioning was working OK the next evening and I never saw the promised bottle of wine !
The following morning we went down to our car and found a "snotty note" telling us to park in our numbered bay or the visitors parking, queried this with the day receptionist who told my husband that we had to park in the bay provided for our apartment, in direct conflict with what the night receptionist had told us, I think some additional training is necessary so that everyone gives guests the same information.
The hotel is well located and the rooms are well equipped, however there is no restaurant and no facility to eat at the restaurant in the same complex and charge back to the room. In saying that we ate at the Italian restaurant in the complex, which was very expensive and the food not of a good quality but certainly excessive in quantity.
All in all the only thing going for this hotel is the location and after our experience I would certainly not stay there again.

Room Tip: Best room would be at another hotel - Novotel is not that far away in Palm Cove
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Balilass
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Very Disappointed, location excellent, reception staff excellent, tropical setting with pool excellent, unfortunately, the apartment was dirty and dusty inside and out (balcony), furniture soiled inside and out (balcony), coffee cups badly stained, one with mould. My wife and I will not stay at this property again. The ACCOR experience for us has always been very good, not on this occasion (very poor). During our travels (this trip) we have stayed at three other ACCOR properties. All three have been excellent. Kind Regards, Brian & Diane Smith

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a week in August with our 3 yr old. Never again. The apparent second bedroom was just a frosted glass sliding door. Not very good privacy noise or light for a 3 yr old. Pool was freezing and not great for small children. Location and general features ok but wouldn't stay here again. Staff not very helpful at front desk. We ended up taking our 3 yr old to swim next door at mantra amphora each day. Great restaurant and spa there too. Should have stayed there instead.

All in all palm cove is a bit run down. And prob won't come here again even though weather was great.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Joey2402payne
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We visited Palm Cove on our Honeymoon. The Grand Mercure is wonderfully situated. A very nice property with many restaurants. Since it is an apartment there is no maid service. This was not an issue but it would have been nice to know before we booked.

The only drawback was some smelly hallways and a couple of loud parties around the pool on the weekend evenings.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple