1,188 results
All reviews plunge pool vibe room fusion restaurant beach bar animation team no reservations required a la carte restaurants bali beds le marche aqua gym yoga instructor fried chicken wait times seafood boogie boards bocce ball sand fleas
Reviewed 19 April 2016

There was a group of 7 of us from Canada who traveled to the resort from the 3rd to 10th of April and we had a great time! I am a travel agent that went out on a limb when booking this resort back in November for my family and friends. I told them they had to go to the resort with an open mind, as it only opened a few months ago and the reviews weren't the greatest at the time. So we all did and it made for a great vacations!

We were in the Vibe rooms and really enjoyed them, but I would suggest requesting a room close to the beach, so you are not near the buffet. It is very nice to have that little plunge pool at the end of the day as well.

We always had friendly and great service. A shout out to Pedro at the Beach bar, Katarina and Washington in the Lounge and Lisabeth and the rest of her activity team. They were always accommodating and very friendly.

For dinner in the evenings, it was nice not to have to make a reservation and for the men not to have to wear long pants. Just made it simple. We traveled with a couple of ladies who had food sensitivities/allergies and the resort tried their best to accommodate them.

I don't have anything bad to say about the resort, just a couple of suggestions, maybe decrease on the salt in the dishes at the a la carte restaurants and more umbrellas by the pool.

Overall we had an amazing week and wouldn't hesitate to go back again!

If you're looking to go to a quiet area, get away from the tourists and big hotels this is your place and I wouldn't hesitate to send anyone here.

Date of stay: March 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Sharla H
VivaWVSamana V, Director General at Viva Wyndham V Samana - All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2016

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your review with other travelers on TripAdvisor.

We truly appreciate you choosing Las Terrenas, Samana and especially our resort for your vacation. We are thrilled to hear you had an excellent time with yours Friends and hope that your detailed review will help other visitors to choose us.

Your comments about the friendliness of our staff motivate us to provide an even better service to our customers.

One more time, we would like to thank you for your preference and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back son!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 18 April 2016

We were part of the group of 5 couples who checked in late, only one couple given the Vibe room as we had all booked and paid for but we were moved the next day and the resort did try to make that up to us by offering a romantic dinner on the beach which we happily booked, but upon arrival, they had no reservations and nothing ready. They did set it up for us with a minimal wait and it was a lovely setting.
They also did a lobster dinner for us and another couple whose romantic dinner had been botched, so the third try at making it up to us was very nice,served in the Seafood restaurant, great service and food.The other couples opted for complimentary late checkout in lieu of the romantic dinner.
We went as a group of 10 to the Fusion Restaurant which was a big mistake, over 3 hrs which was a bit too much sitting, food was mediocre.
The resort itself is beautiful and clean. Not much of a nightlife, the one night we did want to sit outside and listen to the live music, the disco was also blasting right next to it, so it was not enjoyable. As mentioned, the animation staff is wonderful and very engaging and Washington is the best bartender as are the guys at the beach bar. Some of the best mixed drinks I have had at a resort.The wine was also good!! Juan in the buffet was the best waiter, he always had a smile and prompt service. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with a very rude employee which was an isolated incident (manager was unavailable whenever we asked) as the rest of the staff were very friendly and extremely hard working. One of our group brought work gloves for the gardeners and they were very appreciative.
We found the food in the buffet was not very good, food was not replenished, if it was, very small quantities at a time, which went quickly. As mentioned, room service was horrible, the only thing available when we arrived late at night.
Make sure to walk to the left at low tide, most beautiful around 5 pm when its not as hot,it is the most gorgeous beach and much calmer for a swim, as the beach in front of resort is quite rough.
I mostly gave this a 3 star because of the food, if they can improve on that they have it made!

Room tip: Our first room was to the left of reception, on an upper floor, balcony was overlooking the buffet and kitchen and had a bad sewer smell.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank audreyvk2

Dear customer,

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Wyndham V Samana. Your opinion is valuable and we will take your comments about the food and restaurant's services into account in order to improve our services.

We are glad to know that beside some issues you were able to enjoyed your first trip to Las Terrenas.

We remain at your disposal.

Reviewed 16 April 2016

We travelled to this resort from April 7 - 14, we had a bit of a mix up with our rooms, 5 couples all booked Vibe rooms, upon arrival only one couple received the Vibe room.
The rest of us were moved the next day to our correct rooms, not a big deal. We really enjoyed the Vibe rooms as you have a large outdoor space to enjoy, which we did. The resort is beautiful, very cool sitting areas and small enough to sit just about anywhere and have a gorgeous view. We really enjoyed that there were always chair available either by pool or beach, nice change. The staff here are very good. The animation team is awesome, very fun and energetic, Mermelada, La Gata, Franklin, and Wismarie (Nick's girlfriend;)) stood out for us. Washington in the lobby bar was amazing, this young man was very personable and could give any bar tender here at home a run for their money. Very impressive. The beach was beautiful but way too rough for me, I was not comfortable, as there was an undertow. Crashing waves were great for most of our crowd though, they enjoyed them.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
VivaWVSamana V, Director General at Viva Wyndham V Samana - All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2016

Dear guest,

We truly appreciate you choosing Las Terrenas and especially our resort for your vacation. We are thrilled to hear you had an excellent time here with us and hope that your detailed review will help other visitors to choose us.

Your comments about the friendliness , professionalism and personality of our staff motivate us to provide an even better service to our customers.

One more time, we would like to thank you for your preference and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2016

I am writing this review from the viewpoint of the solo (not necessarily single) traveller who is looking for a small, quiet all-inclusive resort to just chill and relax.

The Viva Wyndham is a completely secure, very picturesque little resort which is easily reachable from the main airport. I booked this particular resort because it was QUIET - no children, adults only, most of whom were 40 - 70 and no singles scene to speak of. No late night music, no bass pumping by the pool. Lounge/ Chill music plays all day and that is about it. Others have already posted here about the food, the pool, the service and the rooms, so I will not repeat other than to say all of the above I would rate as very good. The room size may be a bit small and the room amenities a bit austere - therefore a 4 star not a 5. Also, while the food at the Mediterranean and the Seafood restaurant was excellent, the food at the Fusion restaurant was a letdown. The food at the buffet was also good, but hit and miss with some of the items - for example, the beef dishes were really tough and sometimes the fish, though very fresh, was extremely bland. So again, 4 stars. Service during "rush hour" (6:30 - 7:30 pm) was spotty - but, quite good at other times.

My observations for anyone looking to travel by themselves:

I also liked this resort because it offers really good and FREE WiFi - great for downloading e-books all through the day; wonderful for keeping in touch with friends and family via Skype. I am a grad student so for me, I could access my university website easily and download journal articles without any problem.

I booked a ground floor room with the Vibe pool and really enjoyed this amenity especially in the late afternoons when the beach becomes too hot and you are looking for some alone time. I experienced absolutely no security issues - the room was far away enough from the beach and close enough to the main complex that I always felt comfortable. No noise issues either even though I was only 3 or 4 doors down from the evening bar. My recommendation would be to choose a room on the right side of the resort, parallel to the beach. The advantages of this wing is that your Vibe pool will not look upon (and be therefore, visible to) the buffet area, and your room is not directly on the beach but yet is close enough to the main lobby, bar and restaurants.

The rooms are accessed through a solid front door (see pictures) with a good latch and a peephole. You cannot use a door wedge alarm as there is not enough of a gap beneath the front door to allow the wedge (see photo). Access to your private pool is through a sliding door, also with a latch. Room safe is large enough to stash an SLR camera and zoom lenses. (See photo). Running shoes, swimsuits, towels and the like were left out all day and night to dry and nothing was ever taken nor were there any reports of theft while I was there. There is a patio light which I left on at night, but I hasten to add that the staff and groundspeople never gave me cause for concern - always friendly but respectful.

The only time anyone asked me if I was alone was the first day, and after that, the staff recognised me and seated me according to my wishes. The barkeep always recognised me and remembered my name and my drink preferences. Everyone kept things professional and friendly. I was really impressed as I must admit to being somewhat trepiditious about being solo and female at an AI.

There is yoga near the beach (see pictures) at 9 a.m. which for me, was already a little too insanely hot, but it was well-done by Lisbeth at a low Level 1. Pilates and stretching is also offered, but at 5.

I took advantage of the secluded beach to walk approximately 3 km in the mornings and did not feel unsafe. Only living things I saw at that time of the morning were 2 extremely friendly Chihuahuas to the left and a cow to the right. It was awesome.

I also went next door to the Sublime to use their spa (see review) as the Wyndham's own spa is still under construction. The hotel website lists the spa as an amenity which, I feel, is misleading. So, again, a 4 star.

Another reason I selected the Viva Wyndham was that their wines had been rated quite well on another site. I am a wine drinker and so this was quite important to me as many AI's typically have rubbish wine except if you are a guest at their Privilege/ Royal Service sections. I am glad to report that the house red and white were quite good - but lower in alcohol content than we are used to in North America. Drinks at the hotel bar were consistently of a higher quality than those provided at the beach bar. Service at either was excellent.

Some areas which could use improvement are: front desk training. Some staff are not aware of the activities offered by the resort. One staff member said quite emphatically that there was no yoga, for example. Also room service tends to like predictability. Any change in routine seems to derail the staff: let the housekeeping in to clean your room at the prescribed time because if you ask them to come back later, they will forget. I also had to 4 times for a laundry bag and list to be delivered to my room before it was finally done. However, to be fair, they had my clothes washed and dried within 4 hours! Nice.

Also, the room service menu is dreadful. No other word for it - the food list is limited with unimaginative options. Food arrives cold and drenched in mayo. So, as a solo traveller, I would NOT recommend staying in and ordering room service. And there is no drinks menu. (One would assume that the benefit of a Vibe pool would be to have access to a in-room wine/ drinks menu.) I did often wish to be able to enjoy a bottle of wine in my room or at my Vibe pool.

Bar fridge only stocks beer, pop and water. No wine.

The one chair in the room looks and feels like an oversized kindergarten chair. It's bright and happy looking but extremely uncomfortable. It also does not fit under the wall shelf were you to try to use the latter as a desk (see photo).

Room décor is minimalistic - there is "Zen" and then there is "bare" but I feel that some wall décor or flowers in the room would have helped. Closets and drawer space is ample (see photo).

A 3rd world gripe - the toilet paper dispenser is located behind your right elbow on a modernistic little steel pole, so a partial dislocation of your right shoulder is an inevitability. Only one waterproof electrical outlet in the bathroom. And yes, no tissues.

And finally, speaking of injury, the garden paths can be a problem. Pack the right shoes please! The limestone paths throughout the resort become slippery when wet and as it IS a tropical location and as they are an awful lot of people walking around in wet swimclothes, despite the staff working tirelessly to mop up, the paths can still be treacherous. Despite all the warnings posted at the resort and on this site, I still saw people walking barefoot or in 5 inch heels. There was a very serious injury to a guest during the time I visited due, in part, to improper footwear.

So, in conclusion, this is, for the money, a very good option for a solo traveller looking for some peace and quiet. Any issues experienced, were minor and easily overlooked.

Room tip: Vibe Room on A Block, parallel to the beach (see map). Away from busy buffet & main pool; close to main lobby, bar & restaurants.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
5  Thank pluckycanuck

Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive and detailed review on TripAdvisor.

Our continuous commitment is to provide a quality service to all off our guests. Therefore it is very rewarding receiving your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. Please be sure that your comments and recommendations will be taken into consideration as they will assist us to continue improving.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham V Samana.

Reviewed 16 April 2016 via mobile

Overall very nice resort with good food.
Apr 4-10.
Smooth check in. The grounds were great. Umbrellas needed at pool. A la carte restaurants had great food. Mederanas restaurant had very very slow service but good food. Multiple people had this issue while we were there. Fusion had great food as well. bars had great service. Beach had lots of chairs.
Drinks were good. Staff had trouble with English. Only Presidente beer but I liked it.

Resort has small kinks but nothing that effects your overall stay. Good food, good drinks, clean room made for a good week.

Date of stay: April 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 12ShawnS
VivaWVSamana V, Director General at Viva Wyndham V Samana - All-Inclusive Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2016

Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor.

Our continuous commitment is to provide a quality service to all off our guests. Therefore it is very rewarding receiving your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. Please be sure that your comments will be taken into consideration as they will assist us to continue improving.