See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 January 2016

Our first visit to Jurassic Park was for 8 days over this recent Christmas. While I hope to provide "impartial" information for other travelers, I confess up front that the place won our hearts so our perspective is admittedly very rose colored. We were looking for fairly rustic and natural accomodations that were reasonably affordable for a small family. The cabanas are quite basic with limited modern comforts though totally adequate. The electric and hot water are solar and need to be used with some care though they proved more than enough. The kitchenette has a small fridge, a small gas stove and sink and counter space. It is not meant for 4 star cooking but you can fix a small meal with no trouble. The pool is spring fed without unnecessary chemicals and the grounds are lush and lovely and a nice balance of tame and natural. We awoke to the sounds of roosters and children and fed the friendly bunnies (and the grouchy parrot.) We had breakfast with the hosts each morning and were made to feel at home. Getting there requires an adventurous spirit and good tires though it is close to town and away from the noise. There are some nearby Dominican restaurants which are simply the deck of the owner's home set with some plastic tables, cold beer and homemade cooking. Downtown Las Terrenas is about 10 minutes by car. Our favorite things were the fireflies, the hammock, the pool and the people. If you favor "service" and "amenities" then perhaps another place will suit you better. For us, Jurassic Park was a perfect fit and we will surely return.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 January 2016

The rooms were very clean and cozy. Helpful super attentions. I have no complaints, but many unforgettable memories. The family spent wonder and we are eager to return again. Dominic was a tremendous host.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 11 December 2015

This place is amazing! My wife and I spent the first 3 nights of our honeymoon here, and are really, really glad we did. We chose it based on other TripAdvisor reviews, and they were spot on. Dominic and Helena are wonderful hosts, great to talk to, and full of information about the Las Terrenas area. They have an incredible location up in the hills about 10 minutes drive from the center of LT. When we arrived, they'd even surprised us with a bottle of champagne in our fridge because they'd seen our PayPal account was entitled "Honeymoon Fund" - I hadn't even mentioned anything to them ahead of time! Pretty epic! The bungalows are well-kept and beautiful, the surroundings are gorgeous, and the entire staff very friendly. They have all kinds of animals running around, including a great dog named Grumpy. They are also re-introducing rhinoceros (?) iguanas back into the wild, and you can literally go check them out right behind their house. If you're looking for a place to get away from it all and create some great memories, this is the place to go.

Stayed: November 2015
Reviewed 8 September 2015

It is refreshing to stay in a place that is not the same as everywhere else. Dominic greeted me with a warm welcome. Talked with me in length about what I was hoping to accomplish during my stay and made suggestions. He even walked me down to the bottom of the ground to show me some new houses that were in the middle of being constructed. Dominic and his wife are great hosts. The rooms are clean and in great shape. The grounds even have a pool that is refreshing during a hot day. If you are looking for 5 star accommodations this place is not for you. If you are looking for a nice place to relax, hosts that are very helpful in a place that is extremely beautiful and peaceful this is the place for you. I cannot wait for my next stay at Jurassic Park.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

When a hotel requires an advance payment alluding to its high standards and professionalism, it gives to one an idea of something well organized. In reality, it turnes out to be very different: the place has severe problems with cleanliness: from the kitchen utensilities to the pool. During our 4 days stay we had no room cleaning, no bedclothes and towels changing, nor a mere trash throwing.

Apart from some local staff, there were no hosts, no managers (the girl who met us left the place the following day) and no guests! Our family and a US woman with her teenaged daughter were the only clients of this hotel. Ah yes, there was a Dominican person called Ramon, who introduced himself as an administrator, and who after an unsuccessful attempt to sell us the services of some familiar restaurant, lost interest and never appeared again during our stay. Frankly speaking, we felt intrusers in this abandoned place, with poor illumination, room dirtiness and unfinished buildings all over the area.
The spring water shower with 3 wretched spirts running to different directions made the shower taking a mission impossible. After 4 days I ended up with a desperate wish to take a good shower somewhere else.
The bungalows itself are concrete boxes decorated nicely with straw. During the day this box gets very hot so that in the night it becomes physically complicated to stay inside due to the high temperature the room has. A noisy fan doesn´t improve the suffocate situation. Our only solution was to be away from the property till late and when back stay outside in a badly illuminated small terrace but with an inviting hammock and some breeze till the very moment to go to bed.
The Wifi is another story. It´s true that there is a connection but it´s so slow that you can´t open anything, no Skype, no youtube, nothing, just read plain text. The pool was dirty and we couldn't swim. The day of our leaving(!!! Why not before our coming for god's sake) they started to clean it..:/

Resuming, the place is overpriced and overrated. It´s advisable the owners invest to renovate everything the property has, starting from the staff. Otherwise from my modest point of view it´s doomed to get lost in the existing offers´ jungle of with their price policy and pretentions to be original.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Argia-kz
JurassicParkHotel, Owner at Jurassic Park Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2015

Firstly we wish to apologize that you had a disappointing experience during your brief stay at our place Jurassic Park.
Our aim is that our guests do have an enjoyable stay with us.

This is the first time in 7 years that my wife and I have been away, together, on vacation from Jurassic Park.
Your experiences are helping to highlight the issues that can arise while we are away.

I acknowledge that you felt alone
The groundskeeper (Ramon) and other general staff do not work on Sundays.
Jurassic Park was however left in the hands of Sasha - our temporary manager.
The day following your arrival (a Sunday - Sasha’s last day) there was a changeover of management to our housekeeper (Rosie), for a few days until my arrival. As per Sasha, Rosie was also available to attend to any guest’s queries or requirements.

Although there’s always staff here I have hired a further grounds keeper, specifically on Sundays, to attend to guests, clean the pool and other duties that require daily attention.

Ramon is our head groundskeeper, security and general help with my family and for all our guests. To make our guests feel comfortable upon arrival we always introduce Ramon as someone they can speak with and request any help from during their stay.
As most of our guests usually arrive hungry, we do always mention the services of our wonderful local Dominican comedor (restaurant) only 10 min walk away. Ramon is always available and happy to accompany our guests with regards to any situation

I am sorry that you felt you were not able to use the pool. We understand that fallen leaves were the problem.
The pool is regularly cleaned early each morning (except Sundays): removal of fallen leaves, chemical balance always checked. We now have staff for this on Sundays.

Jurassic Park is an eco-friendly environment. We have solar panels for electricity, solar water heaters, fresh river water filtering through to the bungalow showers, recycling and organic produce locally.

Excessive use of waste and damaging chemical detergents are kept to a minimum. Hence the cleaning of the bungalows and change of sheets / towels are administered once a week as standard (unless otherwise requested, by our guests).

This is one of the many points clearly stated in our Jurassic Park Information sheet - currently present in every bungalow.

I can appreciate that your experience with the internet was a little frustrating.
The standards of the internet in Dominican Republic generally will not be like the internet in USA or Europe. The majority of the time the connection is very good but it can certainly fluctuate at times.

We actually have the best server provider (Silk Global), in this area with 3 routers positioned though out our Park. One located at each of the 2 sets of bungalows and the 3rd in the pool terrace bar.

If asked specifically about the internet connection, this is something we always explain clearly to potential guests.

Within our Park there are currently a couple of building house projects in full flow by recent buyers of these pieces of our land – understandably interpreted as half finished buildings.

These are hardly noticeable as each site is mainly surrounded by bushes and trees and with their unusual designs, they actually add an air of interest as to the development of our place.

The pool area does currently boast a half finished villa backdrop with magnificent palm trees (We like to think of it as our Mayan ruins). Until such a time as development is possible we feel this aids nicely in accentuating our lush jungle environment setting.

We apologize for your experience of discomfort in encountering your bungalow in the conditions you so described.
We do have set standard procedures as regards the regular cleaning and general maintenance of all the bungalows, especially before and after guest visits.
It appears on this particular occasion these standard procedures were not adequately adhered to as should have been.
As part of our standard upgrade we have now implemented a check list together with signature for the cleaning staff!

We would like to offer you the chance to experience our place under normal circumstances, with myself and family present.
So as a gesture of good will, we would therefore like to offer you and your family a free stay at Jurassic Park, of the same 3 day duration as your original reservation.

Best Regards