1,233 results
All reviews golf course marriott hotel play golf leisure facilities main restaurant leisure club lovely grounds two double beds golf break steam room evening meal wedding guests reception staff short break public areas poached eggs enjoyable stay
Reviewed 23 October 2018

We paid about £160/night for a suite on the weekend, lots of us there for a wedding.

A friend was shrewd enough at check in to discover breakfast wasn't included in their room price and as their partner was at another wedding they downgraded their room to one at £60/night with breakfast included - a room that wasn't remarkably different. We had to pay £25 for us to have breakfast. Twenty five quid. Despite the horribly dated decor in the room that lacked anything my parents would have described as a mod con, breakfast must be special, we thought.

Excitedly we gave up trying to get wet under the "shower" and left the room in the morning, rushed to the lift on floor 2, pressed 1 and waited while it slowly went to floors 3 and 4 before going back to 3. At that point we abandoned it and took the stairs so your guess is as good as mine as to where it went next. Then we had to queue for breakfast, something I've never done before and a sure sign that we were in for a treat and there were only a few other parties in front of us. 15 minutes went by while the same people waited in the queue before we were finally allowed in.

Sadly I think they prepared the breakfast in the same decade as the decor and just left it under the heat lamps without so much as turning it. I'm not sure if it was scrambled eggs or the inside of old golf balls they were serving. There were pastries and muffins too, but nothing of the quality you'd get by just popping out to Lidl even.

We were so disappointed we didn't even try the pool, we just wanted to leave. This hotel used to be a Marriott until recently - I'd imagine they realised it needed a fortune spending to refurbish it and they decided to just get shot of it.

Haven't rated it a one star as the roof stayed on and my car wasn't broken into overnight, so it could have been worse. Gutted, it's been a while since I've felt so ripped off.

Room tip: Go cheap, spending more doesn't buy you anything here.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Rich M
Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

Booked for one night. £69 including breakfast. The hotel is high end with pool, sauna and leisure club. Room very spacious, 2 double beds. Very comfortable and warm. Breakfast is buffet style, eat as much as you want! Extremely good value for money, will definitely book again if up that way.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely time relaxing at the spa. Also had access to the pool and other facilities. Great place for a girl's spa day or couple's retreat. Friendly staff. However not much choice for vegetarian or vegan food at the restaurant. Lovely location, would love to stay for longer

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2018

Stayed for two night at this lovely hotel. Full of character with good facilities we recommend a visit. Comfortable spacious bedrooms, plenty of space in the communal areas and very good service from the friendly and helpful staff. Breakfast had lots of choice and the food in Zest was good, although the menu is a bit limited.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2018

Stayed at Hollins Hall hotel as a quick getaway and belated wedding anniversary treat with my wife. This review is a bit long winded (more than my previous reviews) but I think the longer story will be fairer.

I did a search on google for a hotel, I eventually found Hollins Hall via Booking.Com. The price I saw for a double room was very good £42. I had played golf many times at Hollins Hall but never stayed there. I booked by Booking.Com.

When I checked on the Britania Hotels website I saw that they had other rooms at the website, I spoke to the hotel and they said I would need to talk to central reservations to upgrade the room. I called central reservations who told me that I would have to cancel with Booking.com and re-book through them.

I cancelled my original reservation and called back central reservations to discuss a new room. As this was a belated wedding anniversary I wanted to make it a bit special, They said they could do a suite with dinner, bed and breakfast for £172 after a bit of negotiation this came down to £162 which I thought would be not bad and a bit more special. I had had similar packages at other places like Breadsall Priory.

When we arrived at the hotel, first impressions were very good. The hotel grounds are very good and the reception was very pleasant and efficient. The room definitely had the wow factor, it was spacious and lovely. A bit disappointing when you pay almost £200 for 1 night and they leave 2 people 1 bottle of still water to share (my wife and I do not especially like sparkling water), 2 sachets of coffee, 3 sachet of sugar and 4 small packs of milk and 1 small pack of biscuits (1 biscuit each?) when spending so much for a night you would expect them not to skimp.

We got changed and went for something to eat, this proved to be in the bar near the golf and spa facilities. Pleasant enough surroundings but not special like a restaurant. The choice was a bit limited, we ignored the pizzas and sandwiches and chose from the set menu I had black pudding sausage roll to start and chicken in breadcrumbs for the main. My wife had breaded mushrooms to start and cod loin with green veg for main. We asked if this came with potatoes and were told it didn’t. We asked if we could have a couple of potatoes as a side (which we will pay for) and were quite definitely told no. Fair to say the food was what it said on the menu. On checking the bill they had charged me for the food (included in our package) and an expensive tonic water which we didn’t have.

On our way back to the room, I called at reception to ask if we could have some water and some more coffee. They said they could give us another small bottle of still water but they would have to come up to the room and remove the sparkling water, I found this a bit petty (almost treating us as children), again paying almost £200 for one night. Eventually they agreed to get some water for us and gave us another couple of coffee sachets etc.

The bed was very comfortable and as I have said the room was a bit special. Everywhere in the hotel was very clean (cleaner than almost any other hotel I have stayed in, they must have fantastic housekeeping).

On checking out I was charged the full price, I pointed out that I had agreed a slight discount (£10) with central reservations. They did not believe me. To resolve this I was told I would have to pay the bill and they would check with central reservations, if what I said was true they would refund my card and let me know. I am still waiting for the phone call or message.

In summary, the hotel is nice, the room was very, very nice (although the TV didn’t get a signal, this was pointed out to reception). The meal was a let down and the ability to get basic things like water and coffee frustrating. We take escapes like this to chill and relax, when a hotel is as good as this, it lets its' self down by not meeting basic expectations that we see in many other hotels.

Room tip: The suites are fantastic. Room 323
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple