“Great for coeliacs!”

Smugglers Pub and Cafe
Ranked #15 of 205 Restaurants in Nelson
Cuisines: European
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: SUPREME WINNER TOP SHOP 2014 and WINNER FOOD, BEVERAGE & HOSPITALITY CATEGORY - NELSON The Smugglers Pub and Cafe is famous for its hearty meals, foaming craft ales and great wines all served up in a unique old world atmosphere.Located within easy walking distance from Nelson's Tahunanui Beach and set amongst the areas' busy motel district, the Smugglers is ideally placed to cater for your group no matter how large or small. Food is available all day and into the evening with extensive snack, lunch and dinner menus including gluten free and children's menus for young smugglers. We stock a variety of regional, national and international wines along with Mac's & Speights beers, Guinness, Kilkenny, Becks and Stella Artois.We are open seven days a week including most holidays and absolutely no surcharges ever. So come on down relax and enjoy the award winning atmosphere that is so unique to Smugglers.
Reviewed 29 May 2018

We stayed next door at Aloha and passed by Smugglers a few times. The service is impeccable here. As a coeliac I have a, let’s be honest - a complicated time every time I go out for a meal. But the adorable waitress (the one who just moved back home from Perth) took her time, sat down with me and explained the somewhat wrong typo - mistakes in the gluten free menu (many dishes of non GF unfortunately had ended up there). Also, the bartenders took their time to let my husband try out some beer until he found the one he liked. Same story with my wine. The portions of food are gigantic and lush. My steak was really really great and I felt very safe eating here. Smugglers are a great place for a few drinks and for food. If I lived in Nelson I’d probably make this place my regular spot! Well done!

Ted S, Manager at Smugglers Pub and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Thankyou for taking the time to review us with such great feedback. We pride ourselves on our food and service here at Smugglers and are very happy to read your review.

Reviewed 21 May 2018

Enjoyed my tasty chicken burrito while others loved their wholesome burgers. Very fast service even though the place was full of customers. Also visit here monthly for coffee and scones and can highly recommend both.

SmugglersNelson, Manager at Smugglers Pub and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Thankyou for taking the time to review us with such great comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2018

Friday night and jumping but only had to wait 10 minutes while we enjoyed a drink at the bar. A good range of beer and wines. The atmosphere was great, service excellent and food terrific. The seafood chowder was delicious and the Prized Porker and slow cooked lamb, both with steamed vegetables, were well presented and absolutely superbly cooked. No room for desert but the cappuccinos were extra hot as requested and a perfect finish to an excellent sensibly priced meal.

Ted S, Manager at Smugglers Pub and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Thankyou for taking the time to review us with such great feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience here at Smugglers and hope you return again soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

Nice outdoor settings and comfortable. We ordered Beef Burger and pasta, to our surprise it was amazing. I'm pretty fussy on burgers as many place have tasteless beef but this place is awesome. Pasta is also surprisingly good. It wasn't a planned visit as we were just strolling at Tahuna beach and felt like dinner, a wonderful discovery of this place. Would definitely return. The only thing is waiter seems to want us to leave as soon as possible although it's only 830pm and there's still customers around drinking, felt this way as dessert were offered and we are too full for it and bill was offered promptly and waiter came back to check if we are ready to settle the bill. It's much appreciated if we could stay a bit longer and let the food digest a bit before making a move again. Would have given 5 star otherwise.

Thankyou for taking the time to review us. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your food and service, and apologise if you were made to feel you were being moved along. As part of our service we provide the bill at the end of your meal however you are welcome to stay as long as you like.

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Stopped for lunch on our way through Nelson. This place looked very interesting and had a warm fire. Staff were very attentive and friendly. I wanted to sit in a comfy corner table set for four unfortunately I was asked to be seated at a table for two which was squashy and seemed in the way of other diners so we moved to the more casual/bar section of the restaurant. That was fine and more roomy. The wine and beer was nice. Hubby had chicken breast which was tasty but small in size. Plenty of chips and salad. I ordered crumbed camembert which I thought would be wedges lightly crumbled and fried but turned out were from a packet and deep fried to the point I had difficulty cutting into them. The salad was nicely dressed and the cranberry sauce was nice. However, I wouldn't order this again.

Ted S, Manager at Smugglers Pub and Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thankyou for taking the time to review us. We are glad to hear you found yourself a comfy spot as we have plenty of seating options available. We are disapointed to hear that you did not enjoy your meal, all staff are trained to check on customers during the course of their meals and throughout your visit to ensure that everything is okay, if we are advised at the time then we are more than happy to provide you with a replacement meal or another meal of your choosing on the menu.