“Up and away”
Review of Wilderness Wings

Wilderness Wings
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Hokitika
More attraction details
Owner description: Wilderness Wings invites you on a once in a lifetime New Zealand scenic flight experience. We are a premier operator of specialising in world class scenic flight tours and exceptional wilderness adventures throughout the beautiful alpine regions of the Southern Alps. Our highly experienced freindly pilots offer informed inflight commentary while you relax and enjoy breathtaking views of our highest peaks including Mt Cook and largest glaciers including Franz Josef and Fox glaciers. We operate all year from the beautiful town of Hokitika.
Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

This was just another spectacular routine maintenance trip Hokitika - Wanaka - Hokitika for CEO (Don) and Chief Pilot (Ben).

2  Thank 22Don
"southern alps"
in 12 reviews
"great commentary"
in 3 reviews
"franz josef and fox glaciers"
"poor weather"
in 62 reviews
"scenery"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

No words can adequately describe this experience. Simply amazing. Our pilot was so informative and skilled too.

2  Thank Shane V
Reviewed 10 December 2017

What more can I add to all the wonderful reviews that have preceded mine. Like others our helicopter trip to the glaciers was cancelled due to bad weather. After waiting all morning, the flights were cancelled for the day and we set off north to Westport, very disappointed as this flight was my 70th birthday present from my sister. Purely by chance I saw a small aircraft sign passing through the little town of Hokitika and as the clouds were clearing, I thought there might just be a chance of a flight although by now it was about 5pm. It was worth visiting Hokitika Airport for the experience! It had it all: Car Rental returns, arrivals, departures, security, cafe etc etc , but all in one tiny shed!!! Saw Widerness Wings offices, but it was locked up. As we were driving off I saw a very smartly dressed young man and thought to myself "Could he be the pilot?' He was, and although when I approached him, he said he had just returned from his last flight of the day, after hearing my tale of woe, (with lots of violins playing in the background!" he offered to take my wife and I up for an extra flight. I will now repeat what everybody else has said before, Ben is simply one of life's great blokes. His wife (whoever she may be!) has won the lottery catching him. His love of his country, the Southern Alps, his farming heritage, his family and flying all came to the fore as he flew us up and around high farms glaciers, snow capped mountains and valleys and even a working gold mine! Ben, you made our holiday. The Great Barrier Reef, The Rainforests of Cairns, The Sydney harbour, Hong Kong/Kowloon etc etc, all were great but this is the one experience that our friends are going to have to listen to as the undoubted highlight of our trip.How wonderful it must be to have a job which gives so much joy and happiness to its customers and to receive so many plaudits.
PS As an aside, I mentioned the size of Hokitika Airport which looks to come straight out of Toytown, when we came in to land, air traffic control told Ben to circle as there was the daily Air New Zealand Dash 8 Flight to Christchurch taxiing ready for take off. (the only daily scheduled flight) So air traffic congestion at Hokitika resulted in delays to our landing time. - Now there's a headline for the local Hokitka Newspaper!

1  Thank UKTravellers89
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Just had the most amazing experience with Ben yesterday. It was a clear sunny morning and he flew us over Mount Cook and both Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers. The views were simply stunning and we got so close to Mount Cook it was almost unreal! Ben was very informative throughout the flight and was just such a pleasure to fly with - he made us feel so comfortable! Would highly recommend the Mount Cook and twin glacier flight to anyone who is visiting the region! The photos I have attached are just teasers of a much bigger experience on the real day.....

2  Thank dipzter