“A return visit”

Basin Cafe
Ranked #8 of 23 Coffee & Tea in Launceston
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Casual Cafe Dining in World Class Surrounds Located on the West Launceston side of the Cataract Gorge Reserve Grounds, near the Main Station Chairlift. Open for Breakfast, Lunch, Morning and Afternoon Tea
Reviewed 24 September 2018

It's been almost 12 months since we last visited The Basin Cafe. So being a lovely day we did and enjoyed our meals. I had the most delicious ham quiche, a huge slice with a lovely green salad. My husband the pork belly he thoroughly enjoyed it, even though he is not a rice lover which was served with it, his mistake for not reading the menu properly. Our coffee was just as good. The staff were very attentive and friendly. We didn't think it was overpriced, pretty much the norm. as most other places.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 1 September 2018

This place is ok. It’s pretty overpriced and my partner’s teacup had a lovely lipstick mark smeared all over it. We quite enjoyed the food, though my chai latte was lukewarm and drinkable from the outset. The wait staff were hit and miss, not a lot of personality going on there. I probably wouldn’t go again, it’s very ordinary for the price, the best bit in my opinion was my partner, and I can spend time with him for free.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

This lovely cafe was a pleasant addition to our day at Cataract Gorge. My 19 year old son loved the poached eggs on toast. Said the best ever, and he eats poached eggs a lot!

I had the vegetarian breakfast which was delicious. Not a bite left.

Coffee was great too and the staff friendly with quick service. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

If you like nothing but good coffee, then this is definitely nothing like good coffee. Lukewarm, weak and way overpriced, this cafe has taken dreadful to new heights. Find a takeaway coffee place nearby, and bring your own!

Reviewed 13 August 2018

The score for this cafe is based on the service. For at least the 2nd time in the last 12 months or so I’ve turned up to this cafe holding a shop-a-docket offer and attempted to make use of it (the Woolworths supermarkets in Launceston regularly feature offers from this cafe, and given the tourist prices it charges, the shop-a-dockets – which are also available online – provide a degree of value). The offer states: “Buy one breakfast (or lunch) and receive a 2nd breakfast (or lunch) for free”. I’d order with the phrase “I’ll have the buy one, get one free deal”. On all occasions the staff did not attempt to take my order in accordance with the shop-a-docket. Instead they inexplicably interpreted my request as an attempt to get everything that I ordered for free. Every time I’ve attempted to make use of the offer, the staff instead say that the offer is “Buy 2 get one free”. The last time I went through this idiotic routine with the staff, the manager, I presume (an older person who served me), requested that I “take my business elsewhere”, after I got exasperated at his inability to comprehend his own cafe’s offer or my attempt to make use of it.

At one point the presumed manager used a phrase for what the offer was. I said that I accepted the offer (as that was what I was asking for!). At another point, a younger man working there conceivably paraphrased, ever so slightly, what I had asked for (for the benefit of the presumed manager), to which I responded “That’s what I said!”. For the life of me, I couldn’t spot any difference in what the young staff member said and what I had said, but it seemed to be different enough (somehow) for the presumed manager to take my order now.

...So, I managed to get my order through, despite the manager telling me earlier to take my business elsewhere. It’s strange how he, and his staff on every occasion are unable to interpret their own cafe’s offer. On each prior occasion, staff members have said that the offer is “Buy 2 get one free”...for some inexplicable reason they think that stating an offer which is different to that on their own shop-a-docket somehow makes things clearer for the customer...in which case, why not use that phrase in the offer? My answer to that would be: because I don’t want to pay for two breakfasts or lunches in order to get a 3rd one for free! No doubt that they would say that that isn’t what they meant at which point...

this should all be a matter of common sense and basic English...how can you state any clearer or simpler the simple offer on the shop-a-docket or a pretty unremarkable paraphrase of it? It feels like that you’re arguing with idiots. Actually, it felt like the staff were treating me as an idiot. How on Earth was what I ordered in any way confusing, whatsoever? How is their expression of the offer better, in any way whatsoever? Taking a cynical view of the staff, it seems that they are attempting to get out of honouring their cafe’s own offer and dupe customers into paying for more items than their offer requires...either that or they really are as stupid as their customer interaction makes them seem to be.

As I say, the cafe charges tourist prices for their food and you’re best to take a car if you go there, as the place is not easy to find and the path can get steep, making it slippery on a rainy day.

A shop-a-docket offer might be enticing...but I suspect people will be subjected to the kinds of gormless conversations I’ve endured with their staff every time I’ve attempted to redeem their offers. Masochists, on the other hand, might enjoy what seems like the trolling of customers by the staff or the lols that that might generate for them.

Given my continued difficulties with this café and the inconvenience of the location, I will take the manager’s advice and take my business elsewhere. It’s just not worth the aggravation.

1  Thank OverSiteSeer