Quality Hotel Colonial Launceston
Peppers Seaport Hotel(Launceston)(Great Value!)
US$ 142
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Mantra Charles Hotel(Launceston)(Great Value!)
US$ 118
US$ 112
  • Restaurant
The Sebel Launceston(Launceston)(Great Value!)
US$ 150
  • Restaurant
Balmoral on York(Launceston)(Great Value!)
US$ 105
US$ 82
Clarion Hotel City Park Grand(Launceston)(Great Value!)
US$ 120
US$ 109
Agoda.com
Country Club Tasmania(Launceston)(Great Value!)
US$ 139
Auldington(Launceston)(Great Value!)
US$ 88
US$ 79
Travelocity
Best Western Plus Launceston(Launceston)(Great Value!)
US$ 108
Cancelon
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthree stepsgeorge restaurantfree parkingopen fireclose to townold world charmgreat place to staymain buildingroom servicequiet locationoff street parkinga lovely staybuffet breakfastcomfortable roomstayed nightsan easy walkgreat value for money
Reviewed 10 April 2018

Quality Hotel Colonial is on Elizabeth Street - not a bad location - about 10 minutes walk from the town centre. We arrived there at about 9.30pm.
From the outside the hotel looks quite grand, and it is fairly large. Having been on the road for most of the day we just wanted to get into our room, drop the cases and have a quick drink in the hotel bar. So having booked in and been left to take our cases up two flights of stairs to our room (no lifts or help offered) we went back down to find the bar. Bar closed! We asked if we could get a drink but one was not on offer. We asked if there was a bar nearby and were directed into the town but were told that we may not get a drink at that time of night! We decided to have a coffee back in the room and get an early night as we were travelling the following day.
Next morning we decided to take advantage of the full English breakfast advertised by the hotel and got into the dining room about 20 minutes before end of breakfast time. We got a seat, had some cereal etc and then went to the buffet for the cooked breakfast. Only enough for my wife. I waited for the waitress to show as there was no sign of the trays being restocked and asked for some bacon, egg etc and she reluctantly went into the kitchens to get some. I got mine some time after my wife finished her breakfast. Reception staff not interested really and we still got charged the full amount.
The room we had was adequate but old and tired, and the walls were thin. This was sold to us as 4 star and in no way was it up to that standard. Not our best choice of hotel (or rather the tour operators!).

Room Tip: Who knows?
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

The main building does have old world charm but the hotel itself was built in the 80’s and rooms tired, noisy and need an update. I was on the ground floor and could hear the room above using their toilet. Hotel did have nice white sheets and doona.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Colonialtas, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Hotel Colonial Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Thank you Droid965 for taking the time to provide a review. We take pride in maintaining our heritage listed 1847 main building which houses our reception, breakfast restaurant and function centre here at the hotel.

We offer many choices of accommodation with 70 hotel rooms, suites and recently added stunning new one and two bedroom apartments. We are working our way through our renovation plans here at the hotel and have updated bathrooms in all rooms, freshly painted, new carpet, new beds and as you mentioned lovely new white linen. We are also currently installing a new wi-fi internet system to ensure that our guests are kept connected with the latest technology available.

Please contact us directly should you require accommodation in Launceston and we will offer and upgrade and ensure that you enjoy a lovely quiet room.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Wonderful, style, comfort, friendly, central, quiet. Easy choice next visit. Great cafes along George street .
Launceston a little gem, walk everywhere. Just returned from overland track hike, soaking up some magic Autumn sun

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Colonialtas, Reception at Quality Hotel Colonial Launceston, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Launceston is a beautiful city, and Autumn is a spectacular time to visit.
We are so very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Nice room, food was great, easy check in check out, great parking and the boss man hooked me up with a sweet parking spot after I had a sook about all the tools in the car lol. Nice and close to the city.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2018

I was supposed to stay at the hotel for 2 nights, but ended up there only 1 night. The hotel is well located and the staff are very friendly and try to make the stay as comfortable as possible. The hotel itself is definitely on the older side, since its a historical building. The rooms are clean and a good size.

It's unfortunate that I had a terrible experience checking in the first night, or else I would have rated the hotel a 4. Just a note, the reception is closed at 10PM, so if you plan to arrive after that time, you should double confirm with the hotel that check-in is available and things will run smoothly. I flew into Launceston at 10PM and arrived at the hotel before 11PM. Because the reception was closed, there was an after hours phone number to call to get the code to the safe that stores the keys for any late comers. The phone number did not work, not even a ring or answering machine. I called over 10 times on three different phones - no answer. I had to wander the streets alone, at 11:30PM, to find another hotel. It was the most traumatic hotel experience I've ever had.
I complained to the reception and wanted to speak to the manager the next day, but unfortunately management doesn't work weekends. I was phoned by reception that management was sorry and would refund my first night, since I wasn't able to check-in. Honestly, I expected a refund for the first night, but I thought more should have been done, like refunding the entire stay. I never even got a direct communication from management, just relayed messages.
Overall, OK hotel but bad management customer service for resolving issues. Also, it would great if there was at least one staff available 24 hours. The night I was able to check-in and stay at the hotel, a building alarm went off outside and rang for about 10 minutes before it was shut off. It would have been better if a staff was available to resolve the issue...

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo