All reviews apple tv cooked breakfast free netflix continental breakfast was included free parking city view car park on site parking plenty of parking rooms are spacious good size would definitely stay here again great position late check room rate within walking distance a great place to stay
Reviewed 23 August 2018

I haven't stayed on the property and writing about the booking experience and terrible service.

TL;DR - Made a mistake and spent a full week of daily calls to the hotel with only one return call from the very rude manager and $45 administration fee.

Longer version:

I was booking a hotel for my Christmas Vacation to Tasmania and was booking a hotel in Launceston for 25-Dec, but while booking I incorrectly selected current month (August) instead of December and booked a non-refundable room at Balmoral on the York. I realized my mistake after a couple of hours (not after 4 days, not the next day but on the same day). That' when the nightmare started.

I immediately raised a request on Booking.com if I can cancel for less. I also contacted the hotel but the manager had left and reception informed that the manager would call the next day. The manager called the next day and gave two options - either forfeit all the money or move the booking to December (he quoted the amount higher than what was available on booking.com). He asked me to think it through and he would call after the weekend.

I didn't get any call on Monday - I called Monday afternoon and the manager had left and I was told I would get a call next day. No call on the next day so I called in the afternoon and I explained that I made a mistake and if he could consider giving me a partial/full refund. He became very rude and said he was very busy but would give me an offer in the evening or the next day.

Again on Wednesday, I didn't get any call so I contacted Booking.com through phone and customer service tried to reach him but couldn't reach so they sent an email. I called the hotel again and he was again very rude and told me he can cancel and charge $45 in administration fee (I couldn't understand what kind of administration he did on the booking). I decided not to engage further with such a rude person and dealt only with Booking.com customer support since then. It took 2 more days to get my refund minus $45 administration fee (almost half of the booking amount).

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2018

Right from time we got to balmoral everything was great
Staff very helpful, when I booked room due to being late getting there I was told that they would put a light on and heating in the room which was done.
Room spacious and clean.
Cooked breakfast included Which could be had in room if required
Netflix and Sam complimentary
Was offered a late check out
Noiseless from other people staying there

1  Thank Frannykit
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights and from the moment we arrived we experienced nothing but great friendly service.
The room was very spacious,clean,the bathroom was big and best of all it had a great walk in shower.
The bed was very comfortable.
Lots of off street parking.
The hotel is in a great location within the cbd and close to everything including the free tiger bus which runs on weekdays only.
Would stay there again on our next visit to Launceston.

1  Thank Roman T
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

I travel a lot for work and my first visit here. $95 a night was the discount rate so I didn’t expect a lot, just to be clean. The welcome I received was amazing, so friendly! The room was spotless. It had everything including Netflix and minibar. The continental breakfast was included with gf breakfast options and again, the most friendly service. I will be back.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

Good location with relatively easy walk to most of CBD including large Woolworths supermarket directly down the street only a few blocks. Plenty of free parking. A friendly greeting and quick check in.

Room was spacious although the TV in our room #19 on the 1st floor was only a 32" or 80cm I think. So not as large as some describe in their reviews. Free netflix and Stan via an apple TV box was a bonus for avid TV/movie watchers.

Bed and pillows were comfy enough. We requested a microwave and a good size Panasonic one was in our room when we arrived. There was a comfy two seater couch in our room and a tub chair in an adjacent alcove with a separate single bed.

The only real negative which stopped a 5 star rating was the air conditioner /heat pump.

Even on 25 C it seemed to blow cold air from time to time despite definitely being on the heat setting. If we selected "powerful" it would take the chill off for a bit then revert back to normal mode and bring the temperature back down. Had previous bad experiences with these Daikin air conditioners. Not sure why they are so popular. Our Mitsubishi at home makes a much larger area cosy when set on only 20 C.

Would happily stay again provided we remembered to pack our little xeramic fam heater.

Date of stay: July 2018