“Long stay perspective”

Bella Mare Apartments
Ottawa, ON
“Long stay perspective”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

To put this report in perspective we are Canadian "snowbirds" who have stayed for up to ten week periods at this property six times in the last eight years and we have stayed in Coolangatta 11 times in the last 13 years.

We discovered the Bella Mare about nine years ago. We had been staying nearby but decided we wanted a change. The attraction of the Bella Mare was its low rise construction, oasis like pool and BBQ area and its proximity to all local facilities. It’s across the street from the Coolangatta and Tweed Heads Surf Life Saving Club, a block from the Twin Towns RSL, recognized as perhaps the best RSL in Queenland and within walking distance of the Tweed Heads Centro, home of Coles and Woolworths grocery stores and many other shops. During the month of February the nearby Rainbow Bay SLSC/Snapper Rocks is host to the Roxy Pro and Quicksilver surfing competitions.

The resort consists of three, four story blocks which enclose the BBQ, spa and pool area. Tucked below Greenmount hill the pool area is protected from most winds. Nearly all of the units are fully equipped two bedroom units. On the first two floors the units are one level while on level 3 and 4 the units are called villas and are two floor units having the bedrooms on the upper floor. The units are individually furnished by the owners so there are differences in standards. For those staying for extended periods the resort offers weekly service which included fresh linens and supposedly significant cleaning. Unfortunately our experience had been that the cleaning is spotty at best. We usually end up doing most of it ourselves. The units could use better security. In room safes would be nice and a dead bolt lock or at least security chain would be appreciated.

The resort is particularly attractive for families so the pool and BBQ areas are very busy during the “season”. At this point, its location, facility and value for money keep us returning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dennis B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We booked 10 nights to stay there with my husband and 3 children and my mother. Very disappointed when given keys to our room to find the amount of stairs we had to get to our apartment,when I was told we had only 4 stairs to go up. When we got in there ,it stunk,kitchen cupboards were sagging and carpet was lifted off the ground on the stairs,very dangerous. We then went to asked to be moved to be greeted by the most rudest receptionist I have dealt with. She was not happy that we wanted to be moved but there was no way Mum or the pram were climbing all those stairs. We did not get what we asked or paid for,I booked well in advanced too. We got moved to a different room that yes was ground floor,but it was half the size of what we were meant to have. I asked for some money back ,which took days to see if she could work something out. It needed a good clean and dust,smelt musty. Shower in en-suite smelt and water pressure terrible,hard to get warm water. Outside grounds are kept beautiful and so is the lovely lady that sweeps out there every morning,always greeting you with a good morning,not like the other rude thing . A/C was great,a much needed appliance up there. Car park ok,except we were unlucky to have A/c vent above our car spot so could not
leave anything on roof racks. No surf boards aloud in apartment ,meant to put in a communal cage,not safe at all. Anyone can take your stuff if they wanted,we kept ours in the car. Great location. Could not want a better spot. We did have a great holiday in the end after a few tears.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Renee W
Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Stayed there for about a week over Christmas holidays. Location of the apartment was ideal as it was close to the beach, the local pub and shops.

The furniture was dated, carpets needed a good steam clean. Big wardrobe in the main bedroom but needed more shelving in it as my husband had his clothes on the floor of the wardrobe. I had most of mine still in my luggage.

Water pressure and hot water was great! Bathrooms were clean and had a fresh feel to it.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay because it was spacious and the bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. The kitchen and living area were downstairs and it suited me because when I wanted to get away from the social activities, I could sit in my room with the balcony door open to watch people and cars go by.

Lots of space for family members to crash impromptu if a blow up bed was considered for the living area.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KMSM44
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Ok I was here for a month, the doors were locked but that didn't stop the thief taking camera and money, seems anyone can copy the keys, the security doors often remain ajar and the security garage was found open unsupervised for extended periods of time, I was so upset but not alone even after reporting to management and having police fingerprint others (3) were also robbed the same strange way, what criminal locks the doors after!!! And the units HDTV and DVD place were not touched...
The cleaners only change linens, now I know this I would have prevented them from ever entering the Apt or would have brought a locked box for my valuables. Take out insurance or leave the good stuff at home because here they may go missing!! oh nice pool, close to beach, skip the gym and sauna is it prison like.
I was not able to sleep well for my last week as each noise (like a key in a door) made me believe the criminals were returning

Room Tip: all rooms get noise from Komune Nightclub on weekends. Never leave any entrance open not even for fr...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank James T
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Our family was booked for a 2 night stay and I'm glad that's all it was.
The apartment was a good size and in a good location but that's about it for the good points.
On first entering our apartment, there was a very strong musty smell; we thought it must have been damp. It wasn't until late afternoon on the second day that I discovered the true cause when I opened the dishwasher and gagged. It was covered in slimy, stinky food remains and clearly hadn't been cleaned for some time. It was disgusting.
They do not move the furniture to vacuum, we found toys, sugar packets and lollies under the lounge. When we opened the sofa bed it was covered in dust and more lollies rolled out. The hairdryer cord in the ensuite was covered in mould. The windows and surrounds were dirty, dusty and mouldy.
There is no light switch in the main bedroom, after several hours we discovered that you had to pull the chain on the fan to turn on the light.
By the sounds of the other reviews you really take potluck when staying here. The management needs to lift the standards of cleanliness in each apartment and then you would have a very nice place for people to stay in.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family