We stayed two nights at the Hunter Resort, mid-week and in winter, in their Hunter Room as part of a Groupon booking. The Hunter room is basic, a bit like a refurbished motel as another reviewer mentioned, but definitely fine. It has a very good bed, small fridge, wine glasses, and water cooker provided. Airco worked fine, it heated the room fast and very nicely, great since it gets pretty cold at night in winter. Shower was hot, but shower-head somewhat damaged and no adequate shower screen -- so after a shower there's water everywhere. No problem though, they clean it up nicely everyday.
Facilities around the resort are good, the Bluetongue cafe is open late. We had a nice tasting platter of BlueTongue beers, which we thought would be good to enjoy over a game of pool. While I'm not sure what the going-rate for a game of pool is, I'm not prepared to pay $3 a game in one of the facilities of the hotel. The horse riding you can book at reception was our highlight, for us as beginners it was a great trip on horse throughout the beautiful surroundings. With excellent guidance by a blond girl (forgot her name).
The cheese factory across the road, Binnorie Dairy, is definitely worth a visit. Great cheese for very reasonable prices.
To conclude, if you're keen to explore the Hunter Valley (especially the North side) this is a nice hotel to stay on a great location. Would visit again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything you are looking for in the Hunter - all at the one resort...* Onsite daily vineyard tours at 9am* Hunter Wine Theatre daily at 11am and 2pm* Horse & carriage tour* Horse riding* Bluetongue Brewery Cafe * Hunter Valley Wine School * Fantastic food from our San Martino Restaurant * Board games, pool table, 3km walking/jogging track * Heavenly Hunter Massage Centre * Pool, tennis, heated spa, mountain bikes * Wonderful rooms featuring timber cathedral ceilings * Situated within our own 40 year old vineyards * Owned and operated by the Hele family * And within minutes of the resort... 3 championship golf courses including Cypress Lakes and The Vintage, The Hunter Valley Gardens, cafes, restaurants, hot air ballooning, cheese factories, a chocolate factory, antique stores, a whole shopping village, 3 pampering / massage businesses and over 140 wineries to visit! Or if you prefer, just sit back, relax and finish that book you have been promising to do... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Agoda so you can book your Hunter Valley Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hunter Valley Hotel Pokolbin
- Hunter Resort Pokolbin
- Hunter Hotel Pokolbin
- Hunter Valley Resort Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin, Australia