“Sienna Cafe dinner experience”

Travelodge Hotel Newcastle
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Australia
“Sienna Cafe dinner experience”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The comments from my previous review still generally apply to my recent one night stay at the Travelodge Newcastle. The room I had was starting to look quite tired - particularly the carpet, which is a bit worn and stained, and could do with a makeover in the near future. However, the important things - comfortable bed and clean room still apply, the double glazing does work for rooms on the eastern side (which have an outlook to both King and Steel Streets) and the curtains are thick enough to cut out the light if necessary. One light in the room was not working (which I reported on checkout) - I would have expected the service staff to check that lights work when they service the rooms. Check in and check out were both easy and the staff were friendly. One thing to note is that credit cards incur a 1.5% transaction fee - while this is stated on the website, it is easy to miss in the "fine print".

A colleague and I had dinner in the Sienna Restaurant and, as this was the first time I had eaten dinner there, I thought I would focus this review on our meal. Prices seem generally reasonable, although the menu in use was not the same as the one on the website. I chose garlic bread for entree with the jungle green curry for a main, while my colleague chose an entree and dessert. The jungle green curry, whch is made with chicken, beef and prawns (and you do get a good number of prawns in the serving) was tasty with quite a bite. My colleague chose the salt and pepper squid, which she said was very tasty. Her only disappointment with the meal was that by the time we arrived for dinner (8:30pm) the restaurant had sold out of her first two (of the four) dessert choices! Service was OK, but there were a couple of little things which could have been improved:
* My colleague's place setting did not have a serviette and the wait staff did not notice this. We had to request one, and
* We were not asked during the entire meal if we would like a refill of our drinks.

The cost of our two meals was $58.

I also had the hot breakfast option in Sienna Cafe. Three cereals were available (Sultana Bran, Cornflakes and Just Right) and the hot options were bacon, chipolata, baked beans, tomato and either scrambled or poached eggs. They also have a pancake machine which I did not try.

On the basis of the little service issues in the restaurant and the general aging of the rooms I am only giving Travelodge Newcastle an overall "average" rating this time, but would still be happy to stay and think it represents good value for money.

TC

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Dear TC,

Thank You for your feedback, I'm glad you had a good meal in our restaurant. I thank you for writing these comments as most of the time people only take the time to write when they are unhappy. We are working on updating our rooms in the near future & I hope you will see the difference in your next visit. The service issues in the restaurant have been taken up with our F&B Manager & we will do some extra training to ensure these little things are picked up in the future.
Whilst I'm writing to you, I'm excited to say we are implementing our new Sienna Dinner & Wine Menu on March 26 so would love to have you dine again with us.
Again, I thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback & we will continually work on our customer service.

Hotel Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Sydney
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here last night. Unfortunatley I only decided to read reviews once booking was made. Big mistake. From start to finish this place was dissapointing. On check in the staff were pretty friendly but as I got to my room both cards given to me had not been activated so back down i went to reception with my 2 bags of luggage. Then back up again. Cant complain about room. Good size & clean. Breakfast was shocking. If u stay u are probably better off doing a Maccas run across the road. Microwave scrambled eggs & i thought it was impossible to stuff up baked beans !!! We were staying here for business & booked & paid for on the travelodge website (or so we though) On leaving was told booking on the website & entering all your credit card details does not pay for accommodation, so then I had to pay for the accommodation even though the boss had asummed he had paid for it as he does in every other place around Australia we stay with no dramas.
Travelodge should b ashamed to put their name to this shonky hotel. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE !!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank caravankate
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Kate,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Newcastle and we appreciate the time you have taken to do this.

It was great to read that you were pleased with your room. I apologise that your room keys were not working when you went to your room, I will follow this up with the front office team. I was surprised to read your comments about our breakfast & will certainly follow up with our Head Chef as generally the feedback we receive is very positive about our food. Our baked beans are home made and are a little different to store bought, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them.

Regarding payment of the room, the only reservations that are charged at the time of booking are reservations that have a no cancellation policy. I've double checked the website today & the package you booked does state that the credit card number is to guarantee the booking only & no deposit is required.

If you would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

brisbane
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Hotel was not luxurious by any means but good basic shopping center directly across the road with an excellent coffee shop. It is quite a walking distance from the waterfront and the central Newcastle area but if you have your own transport that is ok. The hotel itself is due for a refurbish. The rooms although quite large and roomy were on the shabby side. The bathroom was functional and reasonably clean but not sparkling. For the room rate they charge it is ok. Next time we come to Newcastle I would gladly pay a little more to book a better hotel in a nicer area. If you have to park it costs $15 per day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear aussietraveller027,
Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Newcastle and we appreciate the time you have taken to do this.

In relation to the points you have raised regarding the room, we are currently looking at ways to enhance our rooms & hope to make some changes in the near future to improve our overall guest experience.

I would like to thank you again for providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Kurri Kurri, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband and I stayed on a Saturday night and got the special rate of $99.00 per night. For the price it was OK but I would have been disappointed if we had paid much more.

There were a number of issues:
1. The special price should have included a king size bed. The room that we had only had a queen bed.
2. There was only one thin blanket on the bed and no spares in the room. The pillows and mattress were OK but I would generally expect better quality from a 4 star hotel. There was a stain on the bedspread.
3. The bathroom grout was mouldy and there were some stray hairs in the bathtub. There were no shampoo / conditioner in the bathroom - luckily we had bought our own.
4. The water pressure was poor in the bathroom.
5. The lamp didn't work due to a blown bulb.
6. Only one staff member on the front desk at about 10.00 am which made checking out a very long process.
7. The hotel otherwise felt a bit tired and unloved.

On the plus side:
1. The special price of $99.00 was the cheapest I was able to find for Newcastle.
2. Location was good. Was central to Newcastle West with, as other reviewers have mentioned McDonald's and Marketown are across the road.
3. Staff were helpful and friendly.
4. Free newspapers.
5. Did not hear any noise from the road or any rowdy revellers in the street from our room which faced the street.
6. AC and TV worked fine.

Overall a pretty average experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kim R
Megan S, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Kim,

It does seem there was an oversight in the bedding configuration for your room which I do apologise for. In relation to the points you have raised regarding the room, I have addressed your concerns with the Housekeeping Manager to improve our overall guest experience as this is certainly not our standard. We are currently looking at ways to enhance our rooms & hope to make some changes in the near future.

I hope you might reconsider staying at Travelodge Hotels in the future.

Kind Regards,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Away from home, got a last minute rate of $99 per night with a great $15 hot breakfast. Managed to get a free parking spot at the front so saved $15 a night. The second night my door lock failed a number of times due to low batteries and the large cockroach that derived from under my bed did not deter me from enjoying this experience. The hot $15 breakfast with muesli, muffins, poached and scrambled eggs was the most enjoyable experience. Dinner was excellent but you do pay for it at $28 for a main. The wine was reasonably priced. I was a bit shocked to see the normal price was $160 per night as there is other accommodation of higher quality around depending upon the season. I agree with another review that the rooms need a refurb. Location was central to most things.

Room Tip: Look for parking out the front before you pay for it and try the hot breakfast. Also free newspaper...