See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 September 2014

Went here in July to watch Dan Sultan and Stonefield with a group of friends. The atmosphere was friendly and upbeat. Great friendly staff.
Great pub venue, good vibe.
It was like the old days, back in the 80s!!
Will definitely be back to see more music.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2013

i stayed at the cambridge on the 3rd of april for a night room was clean luckily had it to myself shared facilities spotless 98% o the time i was there... friendly fellow backpackers and staff but unfortunately that cant be said about the customer service wasnt shown how the kitchen worked or worked and other facilities around the place and a good finishing NOTE DONT BOTHER HAVING A EMERGENCY NUMBER IF YOU WONT ANSWER OR HANG UP!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This backpackers is terrible , it's located in a bad part of town for starters and not within walking distance to anything apart from fast food . The room was very basic and dirty , the showers were also filthy and hadn't been cleaned in a long time!!!!! The staff did nothing about guests smoking inside and setting off fire alarms all night , very un pleasant stay!!! Spend a bit more and get a hotel near the beach , much more pleasant abd quiet . The only half decent thing was the food , but albeit not overly cheap for the quality :s

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Josho868
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed in a twin room with a friend for 3 nights we had in Newcastle. Whilst the place looked a bit run down, overall we had a pretty good stay and at $35 each per night it was pretty good value. Room was a decent size for the two of us, and even though there wasn't much in the way of bathrooms what they had was clean and there were never queues, probably because it's quite a small hostel. No particular kitchen eating area but the balcony was a nice place to sit for a cup of tea. The dryer was broken but when I complained I wouldn't be able to wash my towel they loaned me a free one for the remainder of my visit. The pub downstairs was dead the first two nights, but much to our surprise Wednesday night was huge as it was student night. This meant there was a lot of noise - fortunately we were shattered and managed to sleep regardless. People in the hostel were never rowdy, possible because it's an alcohol free hostel. Location wasn't too bad - not much in the immediate area but walking distant from Darby St where a lot of cafes and shops are, and some really great artspaces as you wander down Hunter st. As far as hostels go this place wasn't too bad at all.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Funkysars
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Got bitten all over the body by bed bugs, for the first time in my life, while staying there in January 2012. My neck & torso, both arms and legs were almost completely covered by bites, the intense itching only stopped after 4 weeks.

Although the weekday staff were very helpful after my complaint, the manager refused to refund or even speak to me on the phone when I went back on the Saturday following the incident. I was eventually refunded the money only after calling the weekday staff back in the following week. I didn't bother asking them to pay for my GP visit and medications given their response initially but maybe I should've.

Bed bugs aside, I have stayed in at least 2 dozen backpackers all over Europe and Australia and this one is among the bottom 5 for room quality, considering the price they charge. You can get a clean, single room with TV and closer to town, for just a little more than what they charge for a shared room, as I later found out after I escaped the place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo