“Ideal location. Nothing to fault. What more could you ask for!?”

Novotel Queenstown Lakeside
Ranked #19 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Great location, great service, nice rooms, what more could you ask for!?

Stayed: May 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

One of the best and most central hotels in QT. Excellant rooms, great service, happy hour and good food. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Top floor with a lake view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I had checked in to Novotel Queenstown Hotel on 22nd April at about 440pm.
Upon arrival, there was no welcome for me except for the brazilian couple who were behind me.

Upon entering the room, there was a very strong smell of smoke. Called reception to inform about it. She said that it is a non-smokong hotel and not possible. Instead of giving me a room change, she got housekeeping to do some odour removal and leaving the balcony door open. Housekeeping lady who came to do it, also smelt the smoke odour. I left the room for the cleaning to be done as well as to take in the sights of Queenstown.
When I came back at about 9pm, the smoke smell was still lingering! I couldn't take it anymore and called reception for a room change without any hesistation. The guy who answered and handled thereafter was prompt and understanding with no questions asked. He even had a few rooms for me to choose from. However, as I was too tired from my 8hrs bus ride from Franz Josef to here, I chose the first room which had a garden view. My main concern was to get an odourless smoke room and to rest too as I was getting very tired.
A staff came by to assist me by bringing the new card keys as well.

Finally, I was delighted to be able to rest and sleep. However, as the weather was very cold, I turned the heater on and it was very noisy!! What are the odds! By then, I was way too tired to inform reception and request for another room change. Thus I endured it and could not sleep well the entire night due to the noise. The next morning I informed reception on it and requested for it to be checked. It is still noisy and not sure if anything has been done.

As I have some extra activities on hand to do and want to spend more time in this beautiful Queenstown, I decided to extend a night's stay here (even though so much has happened) due to convenience rather than preference. When I called to ask on the extension based on the rate I got earlier, the duty manager refused to give me the same rate that I booked for!! I do not see the reason why they cannot do it when they did it initially as well and also when I checked in I had informed the staff on it whom said it can be done at the same rate! In addition, Why should I be paying more for something which is of bad standard.
Thus, I'm currently searching for other accommodation to extend instead of here even though the inconvenience(s) is there.

The irony of this Novotel experienve was that I was recommended to the Accor group of hotels by my boss who is an Accor and Advanatge Plus faithful member. I had even signed up for the Accor member during my Sydney stay in Ibiz 3 weeks before. Looks like the Ibiz fared better than Novotel Queenstown, even though it was smaller in size and basics only.

RK

• Stayed: April 2012
novqt, Manager at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Guest

Thanks for advising us of the issues that you faced on a recent stay at our Hotel. It is our aim to have all of our guests happy with their stay so it is disappointing to hear of these issues.

The Hotel is 100% non smoking and this is managed as much as possible by our team. On the very rare occasion that a guest is inconsiderate enough to ignore this request it is normal for us to rectify this by using the methods described - using an ozone machine and opening the outside door to air the room out. This is normally enough to get the room back into service and we would normally not allocate a room that had this issue until it was rectified.

From what you have stated it would appear that this was not the case in this instance and we apologise that this was the case.

In regards to charging a different price than originally paid it is a little difficult without knowing the details of your booking - if you were booked through a third party there would definitely be a difference in price. The Hotel aslo has prices that change from day to day depending on a number of factors - these rates are displayed on our websites and are quoted exactly the same on the desk. It is possible that the date you were trying to book had a different rate than previous dates.

We have many very satisfied Advantage Plus members who support us well both for the accommodation discounts as well as the rsetaurant discounts they receive. It is great to hear that your boss has had many good experiences particularly at the Ibis in Sydney.

Thanks again for your comments - these will be reviewed by the team to make sure that we work hard not to let these inconveniences occur for future guests.

Regards

Jim Moore

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Arrived for a 1 night stay with another couple. Check in staff member was great, very friendly and shared a joke with us while she checked us in. Was very helpful when asked about options for carparking for 2 cars. Upgraded us to next room level on top floor at no extra cost.
Room was nice and warm and smelt very refreshing. Bedding was nice and fresh.
Anytime we asked at desk for information etc we were trteated well and staff were very informed.
We had dinner at hotel and were taken when we arrived at our booked time. Food was great as was the wine selection. Waiting staff did a good job and food was first class. Restaurant was busy but we were looked after and were not rushed out.

Room Tip: Try and get top floor as views are better
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nohjtraveller
NovotelManagement, Director of Sales at Novotel Queenstown Lakeside, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent stay at Novotel Queenstown and your lovely feedback, it's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and dinner with us and I have shared your positive comments with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to Novotel Queenstown Lakeside in the future.