“Best Cafe”

Ranked #18 of 357 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 26
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Established in 1932 the Best Cafe is a Dunedin icon. It has been through World War II and the Great Depression and has changed very little over the last 85 years it has been trading. I am very lucky to be running a restaurant that was originally started by my great-grandfather and then passed down to his son and family through until the 1980's. The following proprietors kept the traditions alive to maintain the Best Cafe's great reputation. As the proud owner of our old family restaurant my aim is to provide a truly unique dining experience, one where we can provide old fashioned, friendly service alongside a delicious plate of fresh, local seafood, golden hand cut chips and the best Bluff Oysters in New Zealand. If you want to take a trip down Nostalgia Lane and taste some traditional New Zealand fare then this is the place to visit.
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Maintained original setting and standard of food. Perfectly cooked oysters, chips and lovely salad. Recommend it without hesitation

1  Thank Beverley H
OleSchool, Owner at Best Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Thank You Beverley for your great review, we work hard to keep the Best Cafe as original as possible. Im glad you enjoyed it. Cheers Marc

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Best Cafe

Reviewed 23 March 2012

A group of six recentlly dined at the "Best Cafe" Dunedin. The cafe is vey basic in decor but certainly makes up for it with the quality of the food it serves. They even hand cut their own chips!. The white bait patties are to die for - be sure and look for the cheaper price if you are in a group and buy more than one. They allow you to select a mixture of fish if you prefer. We had their speciaility "Blue eye Cod" and Elephant fish andgroper. they were all excellent and cooked to perfection. Best of all, there was no reflux or unpleasantness sometimes experienced after eating battered food. The batter was very light. The Seafood chowder was also very good. Enjoy!

Susannah Y, Owner at Best Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

Hi Ozzyfootprints, thanks so much for your review, I'm so glad that you all enjoyed your meals so much! We really pride ourselves on our quality food and so really appreciate great feedback such as this especially your reference to our hand-cut chips as they really are a 'labour of love'! Good to see that you tried a great variety of fish too, that's what travelling's all about! Thanks again, Marc Yeoman

Reviewed 18 March 2012

Just up from the Dunedin Railway Station, heading towards the Octogan we found a small quaint restaurant that had the most amazing selection of fish on its menu - I ordered flounder that I have not had in years, which I thoroughly enjoyed . Served by a very helpfull waitress and was pleasently suprised to be served with bread and butter before the meal came out. Recommend the place to others :-)

Susannah Y, Owner at Best Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Hi Paul C, thanks so much for your review! So pleased that you enjoyed the flounder, we try to offer an extensive range of fish so that people can try different flavours so I'm glad that we could give you a bit of a blast from the past so to speak. Thanks again, Susannah Yeoman.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

Went twice in two days. Huge variety of lovely fresh fish. Delicious home made chips. Definitely well worth a visit.

Susannah Y, Owner at Best Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Hi snowdrops2, thanks for your review! I was thrilled that you loved us so much you came back twice! Hope that you're enjoying the rest of your trip and have continued to get good weather! Thanks again, Susannah Yeoman.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

The charm of the Best Cafe used to be its 1950s Enzed nostalgia: basic cooking, good value, formica tables, dingy decor, thin white bread and butter on the table, and the trio of basic sauces. That's all still there but it's no longer backed up with the promise of good cooking, quality fresh ingredients and friendly service. Now it's just generally dismal. For example: the Sole in my fish basket was obviously whiffy. When I complained I was just told to leave that aside and I'd be looked after. When it was time to pay, the *exact* proportion of the rotten fish was deducted from the otherwise hefty bill; no other apology or make-good etc. Basil Fawlty would be proud. Other fish meals were OK but very mediocre and tasteless, implying frozen fish.

3  Thank Yhinau
Susannah Y, Owner at Best Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Hi Yhinau, thanks so much for your review. We always appreciate feedback whether positive or negative, although obviously this is a lot more negative than we have had in the two years that we have owned this restaurant. I feel terrible that your fish basket was not up to your satisfaction however we don't even sell fish baskets so I am unsure as to what you were eating! Our fish and cooking is always of the highest quality, no exceptions, therefore for you to have had rotten fish and the rest of your table to have had mediocre, frozen fish is quite astounding. I wrote to you personally knowing that 'the customer is always right' hoping that you could give me more details about your experience, ie time, date, staff member that served you etc so that I could rectify the situation both with you and with my staff however you have chosen to ignore me thus making me dubious about your experience as, a) no one can remember this happening and we only have seven staff members including myself and my husband and b) the thought that we would serve rotten fish is preposterous. Again, thankyou for your feedback, regards Susannah Yeoman