Perhaps it was the ghost of the kitchen maid wheezing in the chimney all night, perhaps it was the holy spirit of the original Christian Brothers, perhaps it was just the brisk Scottish Dunedin air.
But it didn't stop us have a heavenly good night's sleep- I actually thought it was the sound of the sea.( But that was the next night and another hotel further down the coast).
The Brothers Boutique Hotel has been rescued from an interim period of external ugliness and it now graces the hillside in Dunedin's "Vatican" quarter, just up the hill from the famous Speights Brewery. We should have walked down and filled our drink bottles from the spring through the tap on the pavement outside.
My father would have dreamed well too - regaling his memory with the wall-full of signed photos of Hollywood lovelies from his prime - Vivian Leigh, Bette Davies, et al.
The decor combines modern comfort, historical treasures and attractive currrent art. The garden full of heritage roses ( rampantly responding to the climate) means that the "chauffeur" gets impatient. But the warm hospitality spreads good spirits all around.
When we stay again we will make sure to ask for a room with balcony views over the city - even if we then miss out on the gentle "breathing" in the chinmney of the former kitchen maid's room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to a special place in Dunedin. Relax in our European style family run Boutique Hotel close to inner city amenities with spectacular views of the City and harbour. Extensive renovations have been done to this former Christian Brothers 1920's stately residence transforming it into elegant heritage accommodation with 15 bedrooms and all with modern tiled en suites. The Brothers offers a mixture of convenience, history, charm, elegance and tranquillity, with the building retaining much of its original grandeur. Unfortunately the Hotel is unsuitable for infants, babies and young children under 16 and can't be accommodated. The Brothers is also quite different from anything else in Dunedin. The intention during the refurbishment was to be sympathetic to the building's history and wherever possible the original character has been retained. As a result most of our rooms are of a size often found in European Cities and maybe considered small by some. If room size is important to you or the prospect of walking 10 minutes uphill from the city centre is a daunting issue then other options maybe more suitable for you . A welcoming drink is offered early evening in the main Guest lounge. Book direct with us for better price and room options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your The Brothers Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brothers Boutique Hotel Dunedin
- Brothers Boutique Dunedin