All reviewsa ground floor roomwell located hotelwestfield shopping centrebotanical gardensbus stopfree wifienjoyed my stayshort staycentral christchurchairportconvenience
Reviewed 20 June 2017

We booked this Hotel!!!!!! because it was recommended and we thought it would be like "The Ashley Hotel" in Greymouth. Ooooooh we were wrong. It was nothing like the Ashley Hotel in Greymouth. In fact it IS NOT A HOTEL at all. It is only a Motel. The only hint a a meal available was a Continental Breakfast at $22.50 per person.

We had travelled over on the West Coast Shuttle and were able to be dropped off near by (which was awesome. Thanks Cedric).

When we arrived at reception, I gave our name. I had booked via a phone call and had to pay before we travelled. When I received the booking confirmation via computer, it stated our room number. This was NOT the room we were put in. We were taken to a room, behind reception on the ground floor, with no view whatsoever, as there was a big tree right in front of the Lounge/Bedroom/entrance. We were just about to open our bags and have a visit to the other room in the Unit. The receptionist came running round and said, "Our manager said we can't put you in here as it is going to have some maintenance done." We will put you in another room." We had to pick up our bags and head to our NEW room. Thankfully it was on the ground floor,because neither one of us would have been able to make the stairs.

When we finally settled into our room, I turned the bed back as I needed to have a rest, as my back was painful. I was shocked when I seen the top of the "white blanket" on the bed. There is no way in hell that I was gonna sleep with that covering me at night. It was a nice white blanket, with a dirt mark right across the width of the top. It was replaced when I brought it to the staff attention..

The shower is another story. I am not a great fan of hot showers, so I was okay, BUT the other person in the unit with me, said for her it was nowhere near hot.

When we were there, the weather in Christchurch was pretty good. It would have been nice to see some sort of seating outside,where people could sit and enjoy the sunshine. The only seating, was up the flight of stairs on the 2nd level (a picnic table and seats). No good for anyone on the ground floor.

It was obvious from the occupancy rate while we were there, that this was not a popular place. From what we could see, there wouldn't have been anymore than 4 or 5 units occupied on any of the 3 nights we were there. I would not stay at this place again.

Room Tip: Not a place with good views anywhere that we could see.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank FooFoo123
Jacob W, Guest Relations Manager at The Ashley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2017

Dear FooFoo123,

We do regret that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us and take your comments on board in our strive to provide the best possible service to our guests. Please note our restaurant is only open for breakfast service. Our reservation confirmations do not include room numbers only a confirmation number. We do apologize for the miscommunication in expected maintenance with the room relocation. We have also spoken to our housekeeping team regarding the sheet on arrival to ensure our high standards of room cleanliness are maintained correctly. We do appreciate your time taken to leave your feedback and we wish you all the best on your onward travels.

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

On arrival there was a bugger up with our rooms (asked for a twin and got a tiny studio with one double bed) but fortunately with a fair bit of coaxing the receptionist agreed to move us to another room down stairs. We were originally up the three sets of stairs - for a chronic asthmatic a lift would be an ideal other option! Our new room was alright, two beds and looked clean and tidy..... until I woke in the morning and found ANTS crawling along the skirting boards and all over the "bench". Like stated in other posts there is next to no privacy and the walls very thin, we could hear the neighbours on either side of us and those that had to walk up the stairs. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt but unfortunately I won't ever be staying here again!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Jacob W, Guest Relations Manager at The Ashley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Dear Yolo8609,

We regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us and take your comments on board in our strive to provide the best possible service to our guests. Please be aware we did make our pest control supplier aware of your comments after check out and have carried out extensive investigation and control requirements to prevent any future occurrences, we thank you for you letting us know. We do not have any elevators available on site but do have rooms available on each level. We wish you all the best on your onward travels.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

Just a renovated old motel, with more work needing done yet. Rooms were very small and basic. Our travel agent had booked it, so we had no input. Would not chose to go there again after comparing with other accommodation we had in New Zealand. One bonus, was the great proximity to the railway station and to a long street of many restaurants to chose from.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2017

The rooms themselves were pretty small and the upkeep wasn't that good. Some of the fittings in the bathroom were loose and the sills hadn't been wiped down in a while. Wifi range was good and we did stay here for three nights but that was because of the price. It was a good rate for us and if all you are looking for is a place to lay your head at night then this is good. Located near to one of the large malls and lots of eating options nearby also. We would stay here again if we were looking for a cheap nights accommodation.

Room Tip: No elevators so if you are elderly or have a heap of luggage get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank NesianStyle
Reviewed 20 March 2017 via mobile

This was a very short stay between resorts. It's an ok hotel but not a hotel I would choose to stay at. This was booked through Trial Finders & I am surprised they use it as it's not a reflection of NZ resorts... It's dated, in much need of upgrade but it's functional to get your head down for a night
Water tepid so showering not pleasant & bath not really an option.
No lifts but fortunately we are fit enough to use strairs but elderly & infirm may not be. Rooms are fairly well equipped although decor similar to a hostel.
Staff incredibly helpful & friendly.
Not sure if Christchurch struggle with accommodation following the Earthquakes but this hotel didn't seem full.
If this is just for a short stay in the passing then it's fine. You can walk into town in 25 minutes (Again not ideal for elderly or infirm). However if you are wanting a nice base for a few days then possibly consider other options.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple