Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Very interesting

I never experienced an earthquake. I learned a lot here. I was very touched. I think you have to... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Maxyne P
Paris, France
via mobile
Really enjoyed it

I went with a group and was not interested in going but ended up really enjoying it. Lots of... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago

from US$ 201.70
from US$ 1,177.30
from US$ 20.20
1,366 results
All reviews personal accounts first hand accounts great insight eye opening entry fee small museum their lives visiting christchurch shipping containers couple of hours city centre new zealand video quake stories survivors exhibition
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

It was overall a pleasant visit to Quake City. It was informative but at the same time heart broken to come across the serious impact of an earthquake towards innocent life and people. However, Quake city is only a small area for exhibits and I personally think that the entrance fee of 20NZ$ per person is slightly on the high side.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Our first visit to Christchurch since the quake so was looking forward to an informative display, recreation, before and after etc etc. This could have been so much better, it looked like a hastily put together revenue gatherer in a temporary building. Now I’m a kiwi so no bias involved here but after visiting several similar attractions all over the world this is extremely underwhelming. I don’t mind paying the $20 entry fee if it helps towards the rebuild of the city but it was all over in 20 minutes or less. Of the hours and hours of live and recorded news footage, there was only one to see which lasted a couple of minutes only. Not to mention the hundreds of cctv cameras but we saw only a few seconds worth, both of these were adjacent to the mini theatre survivor stories bother competing with each other to see who could be heard the loudest! Where was all the before and after photos, or even a “live feed” showing what the various quake damage photos depicted on the walls?
I’m sorry but this whole experience seemed like an afterthought and I hope something gets done to make it better.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Having only seen TV footage before it was very moving to hear the stories of some of the people who were actually there and how their lives were affected. Special thanks and good wishes to the lady on the desk for sharing her personal experience. Thanks also to the lady who good us about the display about former speedway star Ivan Mauger, including his legendary gold bike, at the museum.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

QuakeCity was a bit of an impulse stop for us on a rainy day. The museum has a good deal of photos and videos, as well as some artefacts saved from the quake. All of the exhibits are very high quality and the staff were friendly and shared some stories with us. I'm not sure I'd return, but it was certainly an informative visit and well worth a trip if you have a couple of hours.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

In Australia we saw the video footage on the news for a few days and then forgot about Christchurch. We had visited prior to 2010 and to return and see the city was shocking.
This small museum is outstanding in the way that it tells the story of the quakes. You get a very real sense of what people went through and the ongoing after effects on the city and its people. This centre is an amazing tribute to a city that is trying to rebuild. The displays and videos allow us to share a small amount of the pain the people have been through.
If you are visiting Christchurch it’s a must.

1  Thank Malferg