Review Highlights
Cluster of historic government buildings awaiting restorations

The Canterbury Provincial Council Buildings are the only surviving provincial government buildings... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
BradJill
Hong Kong, China
Still Hopeful!

Once the pride & joy of Cantabrians & the only remaining "Provincial" Council Buildings in NZ, we... read more

Reviewed 13 April 2017

from US$ 20.00
from US$ 20.00
from US$ 39.30
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I am sure this is one place that is going to this really so sad as it is really
a beautiful place that is going to go

Reviewed 17 August 2012

Sadly our beautiful provincial buildings do not exist now...my visit was to pass by and look at the devastation that had occurred following the earthquakes in Christchurch. Sadly the very magnificent provincial buildings were significantly damaged. we hope there can be restoration but damage is extreme.

2  Thank totarapom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Collapsed in the earthquakes but ruins are still there. May be restored.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

All the reviews prior to 22 February 2011 are correct, it was a real gem but was reduced to a ruin by the earthquakes that day and since then. I hope it can be reconstructed.

Reviewed 27 August 2009

Along with the botanical gardens, the Avon river and the cathedral, these were already on my list of things I wanted to do. We arrived there about 10.00am on a weekday and spent around one hour and we were the only ones there. The caretaker/guide/historian was only too pleased to show us around and explain things. The buildings themselves have been beautifully restored and the video presentation was very good in the little museum. We saw the video AFTER we had done the buildings, but I recommend that you do the video first, as you'll get more out of the rest later. The Museum itself was pretty basic, but don't let that put you off.
The stone chamber is used for weddings quite often, (many Asian couples during the week and locals at weekends) and I can see why, it would make a spectacular backdrop.

2  Thank Turkey_Baster