All reviews female dorm free wifi hereford street double ensuite room great location individual lockers each bunk charging points one night plug sockets botanical gardens budget price big kitchen two blocks lounge area bus stop nice room
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

I usually have an awful time falling and staying asleep at hotels but I slept soundly through the night here. The bed was very comfy!Everything was clean and tidy and the staff were very helpful with our questions.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2016

the room is amazing and clean. but be aware that NO FREE PARKING available and the parking on the street is $3/hour. If you get the indian receptionist, she will strictly ask for your passport or NZ drivers license. If you are using other ID like international license or student ID, be prepared to hear her lectures on NZ regulations bla bla bla...

Even if you tell her that other places/accomodation dont ask for your passports, she'll say that she's following the rules and all other places are wrong. Just bear with her..keep smiling and go straight to your room :p

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2016

Hi Azhha544,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback. Unfortunately our hostel has no guest parking being based in the city centre, there is on street parking just outside the hostel at a cost and free parking around 3 blocks from the hostel itself.

We do try to advise all guests of the different parking options available however as always they are subject to availability.

We ask all guests for a form of ID our staff can recognise and unfortunately this means that some international license and student ID are not acceptable.

I hope you enjoyed you time in Christchurch.

Kind Regards, Luke Tarplett, Hostel Manager.

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

A very nice place near the town center surrounded by museums n parks.However u its hard to park(pay) the car n only free from 5pm to 8am . U need a passport instead a driving license at the reception.YHA also provides a tv in a room plus towel n wifi free plus spark wifi near the road so im cool

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends

Hi AmmaR S,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel, we do require ID our staff will recognise on check in to ensure the safety of all of our guests. While we do not have on-site parking there are a number of options in our local area some paid some free. I will revisit these with our team to ensure they are all offering the guests the correct information. Its great to see you enjoyed the room and found this met your needs.

I hope you had a great time in Christchurch.

Kind Regards, Luke Tarplett, Hostel Manager

Reviewed 1 September 2016

This was by far one of the best accommodations during my New Zealand trip!
The people at the desk were very friendly, polite and helpful, the kitchen was well-equiped and clean, the commobroom very big and tidy. Also my room (4 bed drom) was great as were the bathrooms.
All in all I really enjoyed my stay – even though it was a rather short one.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2016

Kia Ora Mika, we’re so glad to hear your stay with us was very enjoyable.

It’s always a pleasure to hear that we have delivered such good facilities and service to our guests. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards, Amy YHA Christchurch

Reviewed 7 August 2016

I booked a private single room in the YHA Christchurch hostel. It was room 104 which is on the bottom floor of the building and unfortunately did seem to sit very close to the stairs and walking areas of the top floor which meant quite a bit of noise. However, the room itself was brilliant. It was modern and toasty warm when I walked in. The room had ample space for a single person, heater, TV and a double bed. Honestly, you couldn't ask for a better room in a hostel. The bathrooms were only two doors down the hall. The bathrooms were reasonable and functional although I did wonder about the window next to the toilet- I'm sure the people in the building next door can't see in but still!

I didn't use the kitchen facilities while I was there but the kitchen was tidy and clean and looked to have everything needed. The lounge was warm, had books/board games, TV, lots of couches and tables to relax or sort out your next travels.

The YHA Christchurch is central, you are easily able to walk to the Re:Start Mall, Quake City, Cathedral, Transitional Cathedral, the 185 chair display, Botanical Gardens and the Canterbury Museum.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs (just in case, especially if you are sensitive to noise)
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
YHANewZealand, Manager at YHA Christchurch, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Kia Ora Paige,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thorough review, its great to see you enjoyed your stay and the room had all you needed. The hostel has a central heating system that is great over the winter months to keep it nice and warm. We hope to see you in Christchurch again soon.

Kind Regards, Luke Tarplett, Hostel Manager.