All reviewsbotanical gardenstinakori roadfour poster bedking suitemueslihistoric hotelclassic pubseparate buildingmain buildingfree on site parkingfree breakfasthalloumi saladoff road parkingrugby gamewalk into towngood sizesky tv
Reviewed 16 November 2017

Nice hotel. Friendly and helpful people. We could walk to Te Papa, cable tram and the park. Hotel is in a nice neighbourhood were you can go for a walk up to the hill. We have had a nice meal in the pub. And 10 minutes to drive to the ferry to Picton. Greetings from The Netherlands..

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2017

Nice traditional hotel, above pub for several years as we understood.
In a very good area, the walking distance to the city center is quite big but worth it in order to get to see the city.
The bathroom was a bit neglected, there was mold and dirt that can be eliminated only with restoration (meaning that is was not dirty due to lack of cleaning but due to oldness).
Nice beds.

Room Tip: Nice but nothing particular
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

The tv was outdated and didn't work. The room was a little bit to old fashioned for me, the floors were very creaky and being the night owl that I am I was worried I was going to wake people up but it was nice I was near everything I needed to be and the bed was very comfy the staff were amazing and the food in the pub was fantastic

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2017 via mobile

A workmate took me to the Shepherds Arms last year and have been a regular ever since. The food is way above average for a pub meal and I understand they have an award winning chef to thank for that. There is a excellent range on the blackboard specials and I have yet to be disappointed with anything I have had here. Had the fish of the day tonight and it wouldn’t disgrace something served at a top restaurant at double the price. Great service from Hannah as well. Best pub meal in Wellington? Well I have yet to find one better. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2017

Stayed here at the start of our honeymoon in New Zealand in the King Suite. The room was big and spacious (a little dated, but lovely). Bed was actually a king bed too, and not two mattresses push together which was lovely. Nice and quiet too as street was only busy during day and bar closes at a decent hour.
Bathroom was large but had mould around tub/shower (who puts wood panelling around a bathtub and shower?) as well as toilet roll holder falling out of wall...But the water pressure was great, even if the shower curtain didn't protect the floor completely from the pressure...
The lights in the main room hung VERY low, I could touch them if I barely extended my arm. Husband accidentally broke one when he tripped on the couch and his ring collided with the shade. We both hit them more than once getting dressed as well.
Windows were hard to open as they had old lock things that needed to pushed in whilst also holding up the heavy window.
However, there was a free laundry in the main building which was FANTASTIC and they offer a light continental breakfast too which was a nice surprise.
Overall, it was an okay stay, but lots of little things were quite worrisome.

Room Tip: Had a king suite which was in a different building with only one other room, SUPER private and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple