“Nice refurb, central(ish) location, great pool/sauna”

Grand Mercure Wellington
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Pickings where slim as we were coming to watch the Peru / NZ World Cup match and left booking accom a tad late. Not many hotels had vacancy for the 5 nights we wanted to stay and as a result we had to pay premium $$ to stay in Wellington.

It was money well spent as this hotel has had a very tasteful refit complete with a new pool/gym/sauna which happened to open the day we arrived. The pool is about 4 lanes wide and 20m long so if you like doing early morning laps in a heated pool then having a sauna this place is for you.

Unfortunately we were given a room on the top (ninth) floor which must have been very close to a major AC rooftop fan. The ambient fan noise was very high and we asked to move which they accommodated.

Views from our rooms were spectacular as is the view form the main bar / dining area. All of which either look towards the harbour / CBD or Mt Victoria (or both). The breakfast buffet is well priced and delicious as was a dinner that we had when we were not bothered eating at one of the many restaurants in Wellington.

Get ready to walk a bit as this hotel is not right in the CBD but its only 10 mins walking away (but its uphill from the CBD). If you are elderly or have some mobility issues then this hotel may not be for you...then again wellington may not be for you as its one of the hilliest places I've ever visited, Then again there's also lots of taxis which the concierge arranged for us when we needed to head to the airport.

All up a very pleasant experience with warm welcoming staff.

Room Tip: Dont go top floor
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
JadeStunden, Manager at Grand Mercure Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Kia Ora and thank you for the detailed review. I am so glad you had a great stay with us and loved the room, food and location. I hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I give this review 5 stars because of the fantastic decor and comfortable rooms along with the super friendly helpful desk staff and the Hotel being in a great location as only a short walk to Cuba Street with all its amazing restaurants.
There were 2 aspects that let it down in my eyes. My room looked really nice but there was a significant amount of dust on things and the glass shower door had lots of grubby finger prints on it. I know it was a busy weekend because of the soccer but I paid top dollar for this place due I guess because the big Soccer match was in town but do feel the cleaning staff shouldn't take short cuts no matter how busy they are. Also the breakfast chef was a bit grumpy when I asked for a omelette, but think this was because he was super busy and under staffed.
However I was probably just unlucky I stayed on a busy weekend and I would most defiantly stay again and everything else about this place warrants 5 star.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Kia Ora girvy2017, Thank you for your kind rating, I am pleased you loved our rooms and enjoyed meeting my team. I am so sorry for the issues with the housekeeping in the room, there is no excuse for this so I appreciate you raising it so I can address this. I will also look into the breakfast matter.
I do hope we will see you back here again soon

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
JadeStunden, Manager at Grand Mercure Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

First of all: the beds are heavenly! So in case you just want a great bed to sleep in: this hotel should be totally fine.

Except for that: we were disappointed.
We stayed three nights/ four days, mainly because the GM wrote here on TA as reaction on one comment that the fitness-center and indoor pool will be ready at the latest after two more weeks...but still: when we arrived, 15 days after she wrote that, it was NOT ready. We mentioned that, showed the TA-response to the receptionist and asked how this can happen...with the information, that we may expect an answer the following morning. This answer came Not the morning after, but at night when we returned from the city with a letter in the room: saying the pool will be ready the day after. But: unfortunately no excuse! For a hotel of that standard an excuse was definitely expected (free breakfast, discount on the parking -we stayed in the garage for 90NZD, etc.).

Regarding the rooms:
- The switches for the lights were absolutely unorganized, strange.
- A Toilet-brush was missing/ not installed.

Regarding our room 311:
It was VERY, unacceptably LOUD from early morning on!!! The „staff doors“ were on the other side of the aisle and the members of staff using these doors did not even attempt to close the doors with the lever- and loudly closed the doors. (Every 10mins)

Overall: Nice new renovated venue...but a lot of potential wasted!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Kia Ora victordelta85,
I am so sorry about the pool being delayed, we were assured of the opening day however we struck an unforeseen issue and I had to make the decision to push back the opening a few days. I am sorry I was not made aware while you were here and we could have met in person. I will also look into the matter of the staff doors as this could have been avoided. I hope you will still consider our hotel, great views and beds when making your next choice in Wellington

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Somewhat disappointed with the hotel but the staff were great and did their best to help if everyday possible. I had contacted the hotel 2 days before arrival to discuss wheelchair access and rooms for disable guests but this was not passed on to the department as promised

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Kia Ora V3173GFchristopherj
I was so sorry to read about your experience and I want to get more information so I can avoid incorrect information being provided in the future. Can you please email me directly on jade.stunden@accor.com to discuss further
Thank you for the review and I am glad my team did all they could for you