All reviewsa deluxe king roommain switchmodern art decoforage restaurantsmith streetgreat comfortreading lightsstunning hotelmajor renovationwar memorial museumvalet parking is availableglass doorshort walk to cuba streetwelcome drinktaxi ridecomplimentary upgradetea and coffee facilities
Reviewed 17 November 2017

I give this review 5 stars because of the fantastic decor and comfortable rooms along with the super friendly helpful desk staff and the Hotel being in a great location as only a short walk to Cuba Street with all its amazing restaurants.
There were 2 aspects that let it down in my eyes. My room looked really nice but there was a significant amount of dust on things and the glass shower door had lots of grubby finger prints on it. I know it was a busy weekend because of the soccer but I paid top dollar for this place due I guess because the big Soccer match was in town but do feel the cleaning staff shouldn't take short cuts no matter how busy they are. Also the breakfast chef was a bit grumpy when I asked for a omelette, but think this was because he was super busy and under staffed.
However I was probably just unlucky I stayed on a busy weekend and I would most defiantly stay again and everything else about this place warrants 5 star.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
JadeStunden, Manager at Grand Mercure Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2017

Kia Ora girvy2017, Thank you for your kind rating, I am pleased you loved our rooms and enjoyed meeting my team. I am so sorry for the issues with the housekeeping in the room, there is no excuse for this so I appreciate you raising it so I can address this. I will also look into the breakfast matter.
I do hope we will see you back here again soon

Reviewed 14 November 2017

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
JadeStunden, Manager at Grand Mercure Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

First of all: the beds are heavenly! So in case you just want a great bed to sleep in: this hotel should be totally fine.

Except for that: we were disappointed.
We stayed three nights/ four days, mainly because the GM wrote here on TA as reaction on one comment that the fitness-center and indoor pool will be ready at the latest after two more weeks...but still: when we arrived, 15 days after she wrote that, it was NOT ready. We mentioned that, showed the TA-response to the receptionist and asked how this can happen...with the information, that we may expect an answer the following morning. This answer came Not the morning after, but at night when we returned from the city with a letter in the room: saying the pool will be ready the day after. But: unfortunately no excuse! For a hotel of that standard an excuse was definitely expected (free breakfast, discount on the parking -we stayed in the garage for 90NZD, etc.).

Regarding the rooms:
- The switches for the lights were absolutely unorganized, strange.
- A Toilet-brush was missing/ not installed.

Regarding our room 311:
It was VERY, unacceptably LOUD from early morning on!!! The „staff doors“ were on the other side of the aisle and the members of staff using these doors did not even attempt to close the doors with the lever- and loudly closed the doors. (Every 10mins)

Overall: Nice new renovated venue...but a lot of potential wasted!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Kia Ora victordelta85,
I am so sorry about the pool being delayed, we were assured of the opening day however we struck an unforeseen issue and I had to make the decision to push back the opening a few days. I am sorry I was not made aware while you were here and we could have met in person. I will also look into the matter of the staff doors as this could have been avoided. I hope you will still consider our hotel, great views and beds when making your next choice in Wellington

Reviewed 13 November 2017

Somewhat disappointed with the hotel but the staff were great and did their best to help if everyday possible. I had contacted the hotel 2 days before arrival to discuss wheelchair access and rooms for disable guests but this was not passed on to the department as promised

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Kia Ora V3173GFchristopherj
I was so sorry to read about your experience and I want to get more information so I can avoid incorrect information being provided in the future. Can you please email me directly on jade.stunden@accor.com to discuss further
Thank you for the review and I am glad my team did all they could for you

Reviewed 10 November 2017

The positives first - the service is helpful and friendly and the location is good - a hilly, brisk but short walk to the City and major sites. The rooms are OK but tight fitting - you sleep and shower but not much room to do much else in your room, and I was allocated a lower floor - with a view of a retaining wall around 1 metre from my window. In summary, reasonable but I wouldn't put it on a must visit list for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor (reception is on 5 at street level so go higher than that)
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
JadeStunden, Manager at Grand Mercure Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Kia Ora Craig, thanks for your honest review. We do have rooms up to level 9 and also in larger sizes (there are 4 different types) I hope you will consider trying us again in a Deluxe room or Suite and we will allocate you a room with a view also. Please let us know when you book again.