“not up to scratch of”

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
sydney Australia
“not up to scratch of”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

not happy at all with stay. Staff firstly - maybe 20 years ago you could have service like that, but not now. room - small, no aircon, bathroom small, beds not very comfortable. Cleanliness - as i said before, we are not in the 80's.
The gym! One could hardly call it that, room with a bit of equipment in it that doesn't work. Appaling. ANd were they interested in me letting them know that everything is not working?
never would i reccommend anyone to stay here, stay in the youth hostel and you would get better service and nicer room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
TWLG, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Dear Zoemax,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I do not know when your stay date was but, all of our gym equipment has been serviced in February and is in full workable order. If you would like to contact me to discuss your stay please feel free to email me at jbristowe@travelodge.co.nz
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Hotels again in the near future.
Hotel Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This is a well priced, clean hotel that's in such a handy location! Rooms were lovely and comfortable, I will stay again

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
TWLG, General Manager at Travelodge Hotel Wellington, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear tiktouretoomuch,
The Team at Travelodge Wellington and I are delighted to hear you enjoy staying with us so much. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our Travelodge Hotels in the near future.
Kind regards
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Our room was booked by the i-Site centre for us because it was downtown for us to walk around and close to the ferry. We booked a deluxe king suite with a view of the city. Price fare for what we thought we were getting $134.00 NZ dollars. Upon arrival we found out our parking was an additional $20.00 p/n. Then we get to our deluxe suite with a view (of another building and there was a smalll section we could see the harbour). So small my bathroom at home is larger. It was very warm that day but could not find the a/c controles. When we when to the front desk to comment onthe room and a/c they were of no help and said that it was a "deluxe room" and the hotel DOES NOT have a/c. Then I asked for WiFi access (our only way to keep in touch with Canada) and was told that it be an additional $30.00 p/d. When I mentioned to the front desk that it was an unreasonable amount to charge when it was free almost everywhere else, they really did not have an answer for me. I told them that they charged that because they could and we are at their mercy... I would never recommend this hotel to anyone... There are much better in NZ and in Wellington (a beautiful city)

Room Tip: Would not stay here. Small rooms, no a/c. Very noisey
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 00StoneyLake00
Dear Freya P,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Both our parking and internet charges are very competitive with the other large Wellington City Hotels. Our rooms have centrally controlled fresh air intake systems and we do not advertise anywhere that we have individual controlled A/C.
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Never experiencenced so rude behaviour off the staff and such a poor so-called ****-hotel. Stay away!

Here the whole story:
The time we arrived (about 8.30pm)) we knew that on booking.com a standard room was reduced to 100NZD, a superior room 112, and a deluxe room was 120. Asking at the reception for the best available rate I was told it would be 150 for a standard room.. after I told her that I could book it online for far less, she agreed to give it for the same rate, but for two nights and for immediate payment. I agreed and chose the deluxe room, under condition that we could store our bikes in a safe place. After payment, we went to fetch our bikes to store them. The manager came along and told us that we would need to dismantle them in order to store them. We proposed to remove the front wheel, if that might help. He got annoyed and told us that they could store the bikes only in the emergencies exit, and that this was forbidden. I did not get the point, as he obviously expected us to remove everything from our bikes which makes the difference between a suitcase and a bike. I told him that we could not take apart the whole bikes, and offered kindly to checkout and look for a hotel which has space enough to store our bikes. He refused, telling us that we should store them in the emergency exit until he has found a solution, e.g. storing them in the restaurant. He additionally asked us not to lock the bikes, and was clearly annoyed about the troubles we created him.

Afterward they asked is at the receptions to sign a paper that, amongst others, we would not claim any refunds from the lodge in case of theft it any other incident. I refused, as I didn't even know where our bikes where, knowing that they were at least at that time accessible for everyone who wanted to take them. At that moment the manager really got unfriendly, telling us that we could take them in our room if we were so concerned about our bikes. (As touring bikers, we were if course). We told him that we couldn't, as the deluxe room (laughable) almost doesnt offer space enough for two people. He then offered us to swap rooms, telling us that it was an offered upgrade to a superior room (which according to their price structure is a downgrade, but the first receptionist has not written it down clearly, and she had disappeared). He kept on repeating that 'if that makes you happy' (clearly ironic) he would offer it without additional cost, and didn't listen to our trials to explain the situation, the booked room and that in fact he offered a downgrade, and the reason why we were not willing to sign. We had a look at the room and finally accepted, as it was much more spacious and would allow us to take the bikes into our room, which ee did.
When we left, I was still upset and told the receptionist on duty, another than the one who got us the room, about my concerns. She again started to tell me how wrong I was, still due to the bad reporting the first receptionist had left. This first receptionist BTW was two meters beside us, chatting with another employee, not concerned at all about the situation. Finally she fetched the manager on duty, who wasn't the same, and once again I explained our unpleasant experience. He was quite kind, but told me that he first had to talk to the other manager before answering me (which would be right in case of a dispute between employees, but maybe not for a customer in a so-called 4 star hotel complaining about rude behaviour of the staff). I have never heard a word again, though he promised answer within 3days, he has had all my contact details, and its more than a week ago.
I would not send my enemies in this hotel, its never a four star (we have been un many, in Europe and also New Zealand). In the best case it is a three star with big management problems.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Tigurus
Dear Franzika_Beat,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Please accept my apologies that the service you received was not up to our usually very high standards that are often commented on. I will pass your comments on to the front office team to help them better improve upon their service.
You would have seen during your stay at Travelodge Wellington that the foyer was undergoing work to enable us to provide more storage areas for guests, including bikes. We very often have guests come to stay with us with road bikes that come apart for storage. This is most likely why the duty manager asked if your bike could come apart. We have had tried to contact you several times on the number you left us. If you would like to contact me to discuss your stay please feel free to email me at jbristowe@travelodge.co.nz
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Business like hotel is clean, comfortable and functional. We arrived after 2pm but were told the room was not ready, but a very friendly receptionist quickly found another room and gave us a choice of having that room or waiting for the room that was originally allocated to us. We chose the room that he found on the 20th floor which had good views and was quiet. The hotel is in a great central location and can be accessed from the road level or from a different level depending where you are coming from. We arrived by intercity bus at platform 9 and had a 15 minute walk.
The rooms have a fridge and microwave and coffee making facilities but no toaster. We were disappointed by the lack of channels on the sky tv, but felt this was a money making scheme to get people to pay for movies.
The other annoyance was the Chargeable internet which was free in other cheaper motels, again this seems to be another way of getting more money out of people. We tried to connect to see the fees but it did not seem to work so resorted to our own dongle to get online.
Overall the hotel was a good option for central Wellington but is rather characterless businesslike hotel, and would be better if the Wifi and Sky were inclusive.
Also quite noisy on saturday night

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Steveissy,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuble feedback.
I'm pleased to read that you found our hotel location so great.
Please accept my apologies that the internet was not working correctly during your stay.