“Good Indian food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 July 2017

Chillies is a favourite of ours. The food is ``light'' by New Zealand standards, meaning that it does not have all that depressing cream you tend to get in Indian food here. Also the menus has Indian food other than only the standard vindaloo, madras, korma, butter chicken, etc, though a friend ordered korma and it was actually nice and not the usual tasteless glug. We like the chicken dhosa, the fish kadai and malabari, and the lamb dhansak, and the golden prawn entree is always a treat. The tandoor entree is great value for big carnivores. I like the vegetarian biriyani. On its day this is as good as Indian as we have had in Wellington. I am surprised by some of the negative reviews I have seen recently and hope the chef has not changed whilst we were away for 3 months. My friends with sensitive mouths regard the ratings mostly as hotter than one usually gets for NZ Indian restaurants.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

Directly accross the court from Newlands newish New World ( try saying that quickly) is a little slice of indian heaven in the shape of Chilis. Its open from Thursday to Sunday for lunches and 7 days for dinners and after quite some time we went last week for the first time. A huge menu, nice range of wines and beers and of course a tandoori oven, this restaurant is perpetually quite full and you can understand why, Chilis is up there with and possibly better than most of the others in the area. Im afraid we ate far too much but it all looked so good from the steaming vegetable platter to the mango chicken curry ( could have had a bit more chicken in it guys) to the superb Lamb Balti, this restaurant di everything well. Will we be back, you betcha

Reviewed 17 February 2017 via mobile

We used to be regulars for takeaways at this place as food used to be nice and was in local area.

However in last 2 months the food has deteriorated terribly. It was tasteless, chicken overcooked and not adequately seasoned.

Despite of having been dissapointed, we thought of giving it a try again. When I gave them the feedback about the food quality on last two occasions, the person who was on the phone was so rude. He said that calling his "rubbish food" rubbish is very dissapointing to him...!! Well...I said be reassured, because we were more dissapointed as we actually paid for the food..!! He absolutely blew off his tree and said that I would be expected to pay as I bought and ordered that food. He said that I could go to other place. Well... that is exactly what I am going to do.

For a business to be a success the most important factor is customer service. Unfortunately this business is going to learn it the hard way rather than listening to their customers feedback.

I am definately not going back there or taking a takeaway. Neither would I recommend it to anyone. In fact I would discourage people to go if that is the kind of behaviour that one is going to get served along with their tasteless terrible food.

Reviewed 27 November 2016

Whenever we are feeling like Indian I do like to order from Chilis - firstly because they are a local business and secondly because the owners live in our neighborhood. Ordered dinner for two tonight plus a few extra's thinking of an easy dinner tomorrow night - total cost was just short of $100.00.

SO DISAPPOINTED - two main curries (one beef and one chicken) had no more than $3.00 of meat in each one however the price is ~$16.00 per dish. I would say that the bread basket was good value and will provide me with a base to "add to" for dinner tomorrow night, must admit that for the price I didn't expect to have to cook a meal tomorrow night but there you are.

I phoned the Owner tonight to advise him that I was writing a bad review (as a courtesy and because I don't do it often) and I will acknowledge that he was very keen to "put things right". He said that he is not the chef and didn't know about the lack of meat - my answer "as the owner of the restaurant you should know the quality of every single meal leaving your kitchen". He offered replacement meals etc which I declined, I phoned simply as a courtesy, unfortunately I should not have had any reason to be unhappy in the first place.

The menu has been disposed off - so disappointed but at the end of the day I hope the Owner takes the feedback on board and makes the required changes to ensure no negative feedback in the future.

Reviewed 24 October 2016 via mobile

Always so delicious, not watered down, good portions and friendly staff. Premises clean and tidy. Highly recommended.