All reviews the managers cafe next door spa bath top floor lake edge swans and ducks uninterrupted views underfloor heating outdoor thermal pool nespresso machine separate bathroom walking path away from the road off street parking family room min drive comfortable bed
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Booked our holiday 4 months in advance and couldnt wait to get to Taupo. On check in John is lovely and shows us to our room which is gorgeous.. but on the 2nd level. I had booked the top floor and had email confirmation to back this up however the top floor was already occupied. I was really upset as we saved money to be able to afford this luxury stay. Bar that issue the studios are huge
with coffee machines and large spa baths with unmatched views, who doesnt
want to wake up to the sound of the lake? It was magnificent!
We were not able to connect to Wi-Fi though and some attention to detail with cleaning wouldnt go astray. The dead bugs on the roof in bathroom and outside deck but overall we would love to stay again. Set well back off the road down a private drive so nice and safe.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Carolyne J, Owner at Boulevard Waters Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2018

Dear WinesieTime

Thanks so much for staying with us and your understanding with regard to our error in the room change. However as you point out the mid level rooms are every bit as good as the top rooms, so we are pleased we could put that right.

We are aware we have a bit of a WiFi issue and are working through quotes as we speak as for some reason of late our system just doesn't seem to be as stable as it used to be. We are in progress with installing fibre and new hard wired routers throughout. We expect that project to complete in March latest dependent on contractors

We are disappointed that the cleanliness was not to our own standards either and have a review meeting with our housekeepers to address on Tuesday. Those pesky lake flies this time of year seem to love our rooms as-well. We have an external bug system being installed next week also to keep them to a minimum.

Thanks again for your review and hope to see you again soon

Sincerely Sean Campbell

Reviewed 5 February 2018

Even though The Boulevard Waters Motor Lodge is a 30 minute walk into town, it is in a really good location, right on the lake, and is very quiet and peaceful.
The rooms which open directly out onto the lake, make for a very relaxing stay.
The managers are very welcoming and helpful. Highly recommend!

Room tip: Only some minor foot movement noise from rooms above
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Carolyne J, Manager at Boulevard Waters Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Thanks Julie.

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

I don’t take any pleasure in writing a bad review, although I suppose in truth it is often a bad experience which motivates us more.

In all honesty I would have give Boulevard Waters pretty good marks for a decent stay except for a bizarre incident with the managers.

On our first night I had mentioned the inconsistent and poor wifi connection in room 10. It’s not that it doesn’t work, it is just slow and frequently drops which is frustrating. The manager did restart his router to see if that would make a difference but it didn’t. In the end I had to come to the office to complete some internet activity. The same was true on our second day.

Later on our last evening there my wife’s internet access became used up on their somewhat antiquated voucher system so I went to the office to get a new voucher.

The manager’s wife gave me a new voucher but as I was leaving with it interjected that we had used up quite a lot of data. (Each voucher is 1GB). I told her that we were experiencing problems, which I had reported, and suggested that maybe the device was continually having to reconnect and thus using up data too much.

This is where it all went wrong. She asked what we were connecting to and when I told her Boulevard Waters she told me that is not possible. Not only is it possible, it is the only choice you get in room 10 but I was repeatedly told that this couldn’t happen. After about 5 attempts to explain to her what was happening, and being told every time I was wrong, I freely admit I lost the plot, smacked the desk to stop her continual denial of the facts, and told her I had better things to do than stand around arguing with someone who wouldn’t listen!

To my amazement, on the Friday night of the biggest national holiday in New Zealand with no vacancies in town, she told me to leave, go up to my room, pack our bags and get out. I couldn’t believe it. She repeated her demand several times but at some point her husband appeared, she left, and cooler heads prevailed so we stayed our final night.

Boulevard Waters isn’t perfect, the cleaning is good in superficial and low areas but with more out of the way areas ignored. Wifi is not much good in room 10 and doesn’t connect in the way they suggest it should. But it is well located and appointed and if the issues mentioned above don’t bother you, then stay there. We won’t be back.

The following photos illustrate the wifi and cleaning issues. Boulevard Waters is the network they say you can’t connect to! The network they say to use - Zenbu - never appears in the wifi list. Also shown are spider webs and dead flies on ceiling fixtures, notices and black mould on back of curtains.

Sorry if this is too long, I have never before been subjected to this kind of inhospitable behaviour from someone who is clearly in the wrong industry.

2  Thank Lzbdavis
Carolyne J, Manager at Boulevard Waters Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

This man became very agitated and almost violent in our Reception while I was trying to work out what he was talking about. He slammed his fist on the counter and lost control. All I was doing was reaching for my phone to show him what he should be looking at. We don't have to put up with this type of behaviour in New Zealand.

We took both of our devices up to the room after he left and both of ours worked perfectly. Therefore the settings on their phones must have been at fault.

They were never at any time logged into our office network. They only thought they were as Zembu Hot Spot will show Boulevard Waters after the initial log in. If he had given me the chance to show him he would have realised. They have also used 6 Gigs of data as they kept running out and requesting further data so it is a mystery that they couldn't use it. A bit of a contradiction.

These people will never be welcome at Boulevard Waters again.

To avoid or at least minimise similar incidents occurring in the future, we have compiled a detailed instruction guide for guests using our internet together with screen shots to help them through the connection process. This guide will be in the room compendiums and will be pointed out to new guests on their arrival at Boulevard Waters.

Reviewed 27 January 2018

We travelled the N Island with 3 teenagers and had booked into an apartment for 1 night on the ground floor which had a large bed in the living area and also a spa bath (I think some people may love the bath option...honeymooners...people with younger kids etc).
The Good Points : Was very clean, linen was lovely, beds comfortable, lovely view to lake, and access outside was great with small table provided on patio. Wifi was fine. Staff were very nice. Parking good. Hot pool outside . We didnt use but it looked clean and well maintained. Lovely walk along the lakeside path. Not far from town, and also De Bretts Pool resort nearby, so quite handy. On a main road but no road noise at all, and the apartments look to the lake..so can't see the road either.
The Not so good points : not many, just disappointed with how small the kids bedroom was. Tiny window that looked out onto the front door, no natural light, but I appreciate that this is structural and cannot be changed..and would be fine for smaller kids but not so great for teens for more than a night probably. Also... no mention of air-con..so didnt expect it..however it was so very hot when we visited and the fan was struggling. Air con would have made it perfect.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Carolyne J, Manager at Boulevard Waters Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2018

Thank for your review.

Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

This place was a perfect way to spend the last night of our holiday. Right on the lake edge with beautiful views. Can sit in the spa bath and look right out over the lake. Very modern and tidy rooms. Was a bit pricey but was reflected in what was provided. I definitely feel you get what you pay for. Managers were very friendly and helpful. Sam & Alysha

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Carolyne J, Manager at Boulevard Waters Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Thanks Sam & Alysha for taking the time to review Boulevard Waters. Looking forward to your next visit.