All reviews grotto spa edgewater restaurant first floor overlooking the lake the ground floor lakeside location new zealand swimming pool black swans watching the sunset lovely room junior suite upstairs room buffet breakfast glass of wine walk into town lounge area
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

I like that this hotel is kept so well despite it's age. It is not a new plush hotel but they have done well to keep the furnishings and decor fresh and to a 4++standard. Last stay was a suite this stay the hotel was full and a little nervously we took a pool view room on the ground floor. Only room left! It was actually ok not too noisy and a small door out to the heated outdoor pool. Room was spacious and well presented. Our meal at the 5 star restaurant was not ideal but a mis order and some delayed service was graciously dealt with and a glass of wine offered. The gym is in need of a make over very limited equipment and in bad order. Overall though another good stay

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
OzzieTaupo, General Manager at Millennium Hotel and Resort Manuels Taupo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Dear Tracy H - Thank you for your feedback and compliments - I am happy to read that we were able to appease any problems in our restaurant. We have wonderful news the gym has all new equipment as of last week so please come back to enjoy this. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards
Diane

Reviewed 17 February 2018 via mobile

Booked 1 night in this 4.5 stars rating hotel for our holiday. The service we received was actually contraindicated with this rating.

I’m 28 weeks pregnant. When I walked through the corridor to my room after check-in, I can strongly smell the cigarette smoke, even when in the room, the smell was still there. (The doorman who showed us around hotel had also smell the smoke.)
The air-conditioner wasn’t switched on when we walked in the room, you feel very stuffy and hot, so I kept my door opened to get some ventilation. I told this receptionist that I’d like to change a room. He said he needs to check with the manager. Then the girl in a skirt uniform walked in my room without giving us any introduction of herself. She told me all I need to do is to shut the door and switch on A/C. The cigarette smoke will go away eventually. I was totally shocked by her response, just don’t know how to respond to her “advice”. I have no other options provided. Sadly, every time I go out of the room, I have to inhale the 2nd hand smoke.

Some small details which I don’t think it’s worth of the 4.5 rating: There are a lots of insects in the room, esp flyers. Bathroom is very tiny, no bath tub, barely can move around in the standing shower screen, carpet is old, disposable plastic glasses, loose power board on the wall if you want to charge your phone...

A very bad experience.

2  Thank Apple A

Dear AppleA
Firstly I thank you for taking the time to write - although far from the ratings we are accustomed to receiving, we take your comments very seriously.
I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy anything about your stay.
There has been only one complaint in many months about cigarette smoke so this leads me to know the room you occupied and the circumstances. Unfortunately, the smoke lingered in the walkway – it was not in your room or the adjoining room. Following you notifying the staff the guests in that walkway area were asked to smoke elsewhere in consideration and we were not aware of any further problems.
Our main priority is to have happy guests and we would have happily moved you to another room if we had not been 100% full that night.
I know that the staff on duty did try to help at the time – the suggestion of closing the door and using the air con is the best solution to clear the air as well as not allow insects into the room.
Please know that we analyze all reviews seriously to consider ways of improving our services for our guest’s satisfaction.
Sincerely Diane

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

We were both very happy with the staff and the fabulous meal,the most stunning lakeside view was a bonus. The steak and pork fillet was an excellent choice. The dessert choice was excellent. Photo added

Reviewed 13 February 2018

At first glance this looks like an awesome setting until we entered our ground floor lake front room. A busy public walkway runs past the ground floor rooms and it is only a couple of meters away. While the ceiling to floor windows in the lounge and bedroom gives one a great view of the lake it also gives passers by a great view of guests in their room. Unfortunately there were no sheer curtains that would give guests privacy without blocking the view. Hence there was no sitting up in bed to soak up the view in the morning. It’s obvious that the hotel cannot do anything about the walkway. However a little bit more thought about window dressing that allows guests to enjoy what they paid for….the view of the lake… but still maintain privacy would greatly improve one’s stay.

Room tip: Ask for an upstairs room.
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2018

Lovely hotel, great vacation destination! Shuttle into town was prompt and driver was courteous! We arrived early so our bags were kindly held and d covered to our room! The selection of coffee and teas was exceptional! Internet worked great!

Room tip: Need ice makers on each floor for guests!
Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel