“Great trip, even in September!”

Carino Sailing & Dolphins
More attraction details
Owner description: Come sailing on Carino NZ. Help to hoist sails or sit back and relax. We are the only yacht licensed to swim and view wild dolphins in the Bay. Included is an island stopover for Snorkeling tours, Island walks, beach games and BBQ lunch. Depart Paihia 9.30Am-3.45Pm daily.
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Even though we didn't see dolphins, captain and crew were knowledgeable and provided us with a great trip.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 February 2011

While we did not see any dolphins on our trip, it was still well worth the money. We had a fantastic day on the catamaran sailing through the Bay of Islands. Stopped off at a small islands with the beach to ourselves. There were not a lot of people onboard and the staff were very friendly. We highly recommend this tour!

1  Thank westcoastfamilyof3
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I traveled on the Carino Catamaran Sunday the 16th of January 2011.

I was very disappointed with the lack of hospitality from the tour host, he was rude and short with almost everyone on the ship. From rolling his eyes at questions I asked (in regards to swimming with the dolphins) to constantly and rudely telling people to get out of the door way, I understand the reasons behind this however the way he said it and how incredibly rude he was is inexcusable.

-The catamaran sailor however was very pleasant and nice, I would like to say she helped stop the trip being a complete disaster.

I also was terrible disappointed when we were unable to swim with the Dolphins (however I understood the pod we found were fighting) and that disappointment quickly turned to anger when I found out the other boats my tour group were on had been able to swim with the dolphins as they had found another pod nearby. Whereas Carino made no effort to find another pod.

I took the Carino Day Sailing adventure because I had heard, and believed, it offered a more personalized experience, however I was sorely disappointed. My experience has left a bad taste in my mouth and I feel like I was robed of the opportunity to swim with dolphins by the boats tour host.
If I could do the day again I would definitely spend my money on the larger tourist boats.

CarinoNZ, Owner at Carino Sailing & Dolphins, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2011

Dear 123CJ123
I am sorry that you had a very disappointing tour on Carino. I thank you for your feedback as all feedback is valuable to us.

I have spoken to the crew from the day you came sailing. He apologies for any unpleasantness you received from him.

With regards to not swimming with the dolphins. The other dolphin operator swam with the same dolphin pod as we saw, earlier in the morning. When Carino and another dolphin tour arrived the dolphin’s behaviour had changed dramatically. The dolphins were in a aggressive fighting behaviour, and the safety of all our guest is important to us, so the captain made the call, that we would not swim while the dolphins were displaying this behaviour, which continued for over 30mins. Later in the day Carino found another pod of dolphins, which had a baby dolphin in it. (New Zealand law prohibits us from swimming with baby dolphins). It is usual to find two pods in one day.

I have taken on board your issues and have implemented better communication between the crew on Carino and our guests.

Kind regards
Vanessa McKay

Reviewed 10 January 2011

Great experience swimming with bottlenose dolphins! The captain knows her stuff and proved why you should take Carino out for the day. After playing with dophins we found a gorgeous harbor to anchor, dingy to shore for a nice hike with a return to the boat for a BBQ lunch and cold beverages of your choice. A sweet day in the Bay of Islands.

Reviewed 26 March 2010

My wife and I had an outstanding time touring the Bay of Islands with Carinos. Only 10-12 people on our boat, which allowed for plenty of space to move around and lay out in the sun. They gave plenty of information on the area and the wildlife without feeling like they were talking down to you or reading from a script. Snorkeling was a blast, just wish I had brought my underwater camera for the colorful fish and string rays.

Our group was lucky enough to sight the dolphin pod first so we were able to spend 45 minutes with them. The group had a 2 day old calf so we were not able to get in the water with them, but we thoroughly enjoyed watching them jump, swim and scratch themselves on our rudders. Once we saw the bigger boats come in, we realized how much luckier we were. People on those tours did not seem to have much space to move around, I'm sure not everyone was able to view the dolphins 100% of the time.

Carinos really stood out. Highly recommend.

2  Thank jjimmyjames11