Review Highlights
Lovely place and beautiful wines

We joined two other couples that we didn’t know for a tasting around a table in a nice room, and... read more

Reviewed 25 November 2018
sharnep2014
Sydney, Australia
via mobile
Must Visit Vineyard - Awesome Wines

We were treated to some excellent wine and had a thoroughly enjoyable time. The tastings were... read more

Reviewed 9 July 2018
Jill B
Wellington, New Zealand

Recommended experiences in and around Napier
from US$ 115.86
from US$ 84.26
from US$ 70.22
from US$ 63.20
More Info
All reviews generous pours small winery wine tasting reserve wines co owner no pressure to buy hawkes bay sauvignon blanc new zealand wine making excellent wine sharon host taste wineries knowledge
Reviewed 8 May 2017

I love this place so much. Was introduced to the wines first when I arrived in NZ eight years ago. Visit every time I am in the Hakes Bay. The setting isn't as grand as you get with some of the multi million dollar buildings of other known wineries. Instead you get a very personal wine tasting with either Peter of Sharon and you really get to appreciate and gain knowledge about what has gone into every bottle while drinking some if not the best wine in NZ. You won't be disappointed though maybe a little poorer after visiting as you stock up your cellar.

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed 7 May 2017

We visited mid-week and were the only tasters. They were however, setting up tables and glassware for a huge group from a cruise ship. We sampled a couple of wines each but could not purchase because of travel constraints. The Pino Gris was brand new, young but still very pleasant. The grounds are lovely and we enjoyed the wine and the atmosphere. Not sure I want to be there with 250 others off a ship, but our visit was great.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

He came on a miserable rainy day so it didn't add to the charm of the place which looked bit run down and not fancy at all. But the wines were the best we have tasted in this area. First reds we were impressed with. Definitely worth the trip if you are after the wines.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed 23 March 2017

Brookfields hadn't been on my radar but someone from another vineyard said I had to go there, and I'm so glad I did! It's charming and a bit secluded, intimate, old-school, with a very laid back, welcoming vibe. I sat down for a tasting w/ John (one of the owners), a funny man with entertaining and informative stories for all different subjects that eventually lead back to wine. Listening to him talk would've been enough, but they also do some cracking good wines! I don't think I've ever laughed more during a tasting. Absolutely check out this beautiful little vineyard.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed 8 March 2017

Loved the fact that we were the only ones at this really pretty vineyard. The proprietor, a man of maturer years, had a lot of bottles open (the whites weren't chilled but actually at some tasting rooms they are over-chilled so they are much harder to taste) and the tasting just kind of evolved depending on what we liked and didn't like. He loved hearing about our family etc and he was keen to tell us about his. There was no charge for the tasting which did mean we felt we should buy a bottle or two, since he'd been really generous with his time and wines (one of the bottles sold in a London restaurant for £120 or maybe it was NZ$).

Date of experience: December 2016